Author Topic: Manchester United sack Jose Mourinho  (Read 5376 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Manchester United sack Jose Mourinho
« on: 11:35:21, 18/12/18 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46603018

Manchester United have sacked manager Jose Mourinho after identifying a catalogue of failings at the club.

The Portuguese, 55, took over in May 2016 and led United to League Cup and Europa League titles but they are 19 points behind league leaders Liverpool.

The club decided a change was needed after no progress with results or style despite spending £400m on 11 players.

The club also says the new manager will understand the philosophy of the club, including its attacking traditions.

It is understood that players and staff are not happy after a disappointing and unsettling period.

Manchester United are sixth in the Premier League, but closer to the relegation zone than leaders Liverpool, who beat them 3-1 on Sunday.

The decision to sack Mourinho has been taken in the long-term interests of Manchester United with a regard that the club is bigger than any one individual.

The new manager will be appointed with a head of football in charge of overall football operations.

A United statement said: "A caretaker-manager will be appointed until the end of the season while the club conducts a thorough recruitment process for a new, full-time manager.

"The club would like to thank Jose for his work during his time at Manchester United and to wish him success in the future."

The caretaker-manager to replace Mourinho, who took over from Louis van Gaal in May 2016, will not be assistant coach Michael Carrick or academy boss Nicky Butt.

The candidate will be drawn from outside the club, but will not be former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Paul Pogba tweeted 'caption this' before deleted his tweet

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba posted a tweet saying 'caption this' before deleting the message soon after

A familiar conclusion to a rocky season

United's haul of 26 points after their first 17 Premier League games, is their worst tally in the top flight at this stage since 1990-91.

They are 11 points off the top four and closer to the relegation zone than the top of the table.

Mourinho's sacking comes after a fall-out with £89m record signing Paul Pogba, who was an unused substitute for the defeat at Anfield on Sunday.

Following a 1-1 draw with Wolves, midfielder Pogba said he wanted United to be able to "attack, attack, attack" at home, which led Mourinho to say the France midfielder would no longer be the club's "second captain".

After Mourinho, who signed a contract extension in January, was sacked Pogba tweeted: "Caption this," with a knowing expression on his face, before deleting the social media post.

In October, there were reports that Mourinho might be sacked prior to the home game against Newcastle, but after the team trailed 2-0, they turned it around to win 3-2 and seemingly buy the former Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid boss more time.

Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes attempted to calm the storm earlier in December by taking the extraordinary step of issuing a statement to say Mourinho was "very happy" and "fully committed" to the club.

But despite reaching the Champions League last 16, where United will play Paris St-Germain, they have won just one of their past six games in the Premier League.

Mourinho's dismissal continues his run of never completing four consecutive seasons in charge of a club.

Only once has he made it into a fourth campaign, but he left Chelsea on 20 September 2007 during his first spell at Stamford Bridge.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

lozflan

Re: Manchester United sack Jose Mourinho
« Reply #1 on: 14:40:26, 18/12/18 »
As a song goes "and it don't seem a day too soon" but to be fair,Liverpool can beat any team.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 16:39:41, 18/12/18 »
They are still in contention for a Champions League place, being 6th in the league, although 8pts behind Arsenal.  Pogba shouldn't be dictating to the manager, how much are he and the rest of the new signings getting?  £400million spent on them.

I believe Wenger is on the shortlist :o but Pochettino is on there also - can't see Spurs letting him go ??? 

ExileSteve

« Reply #3 on: 21:58:00, 18/12/18 »

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the vast majority of City supporters when I say that I'm absolutely gutted about The Busted Flush (oops...I mean The Special One) leaving our dearly beloved local neighbours in Stretford, or wherever it is they hang out. That's Christmas completely spoiled, quite honestly, for we were so much looking forward to the resumption of the Champions & Also-Rans in February, which was sure to bring a festival of goals for their ever-so-lovable followers to feast their eyes upon. Perhaps we could also have seen the Rags missing out in a plucky extra-time replay defeat against mighty Reading in the Cup? The footballing nation had an abundance of reasons to march onward into a dazzling and exciting New Year, and now it's all been dashed on the rocks. A bit like United, really.

Still, never mind. I'm sure their completely clued-up Board of Directors have already got one or two names in the frame while they search for a replacement. I hear Fergie has put in a good word for Alan Pardew, but we must remember that Mark Hughes is also available right now. Perhaps 'fireman' Sam Allardyce might be the best choice in the present set of circumstances?

Stuart Pearce, anyone?

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 00:03:46, 19/12/18 »
I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the vast majority of City supporters when I say that I'm absolutely gutted about The Busted Flush (oops...I mean The Special One) leaving our dearly beloved local neighbours in Stretford, or wherever it is they hang out. That's Christmas completely spoiled, quite honestly, for we were so much looking forward to the resumption of the Champions & Also-Rans in February, which was sure to bring a festival of goals for their ever-so-lovable followers to feast their eyes upon. Perhaps we could also have seen the Rags missing out in a plucky extra-time replay defeat against mighty Reading in the Cup? The footballing nation had an abundance of reasons to march onward into a dazzling and exciting New Year, and now it's all been dashed on the rocks. A bit like United, really.

Still, never mind. I'm sure their completely clued-up Board of Directors have already got one or two names in the frame while they search for a replacement. I hear Fergie has put in a good word for Alan Pardew, but we must remember that Mark Hughes is also available right now. Perhaps 'fireman' Sam Allardyce might be the best choice in the present set of circumstances?

Stuart Pearce, anyone?
I am ready and willing  to step into the job if required, but I can’t do Saturdays as Mrs parky needs wheeling to the shops due to her poorly toe,

ExileSteve

« Reply #5 on: 00:17:53, 19/12/18 »

But surely you would answer the call at FC United first, Parky?

:)

Parky

« Reply #6 on: 00:36:03, 19/12/18 »
But surely you would answer the call at FC United first, Parky?

:)
O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 09:54:43, 19/12/18 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46616768

Manchester United have named former player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as caretaker manager until the end of the season, a day after sacking Jose Mourinho.

Solskjaer spent 11 seasons at Old Trafford, scoring the winning goal in the 1999 Champions League final.

The 45-year-old takes over with United sixth in the Premier League.

"Manchester United is in my heart and it's brilliant to be coming back in this role," said the Norwegian.

"I'm really looking forward to working with the very talented squad we have, the staff and everyone at the club."

lozflan

« Reply #8 on: 10:43:07, 19/12/18 »
 A great attacking player,often brought on near the final minutes to win a game.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

ExileSteve

« Reply #9 on: 22:00:38, 19/12/18 »

It just keeps getting better and better!

In their wisdom, the ManYoo directors have decided to appoint a "United man" who "knows the club" to get them through their rapidly disintegrating season. To all of us who don't hold the Rags close to our hearts, this is simply too good to be true. It's the kind of scenario that usually unfolds in the lower divisions or at non-league level, and even then only at clubs who are haunted by the looming spectre of relegation and are thrashing around desperately for a quick fix for their problems. The only piece in the jigsaw yet to fit into place is the five year contract extension (with massive salary increase) for Paul Pogba who, so far as I can see, is merely Mario Balotelli without the talent. In fact, that's it!!! Why don't they go the full hog and actually sign Mario as well?????? Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

And while I'm at it, I've thought of another candidate who might be ideally suited to delivering United's  master plan for the Roaring Twenties. Paul Tisdale did a fantastic job at Exeter City for many years but he has recently become available. Maybe Fergie's already on the phone to his agent. Wait and see....

Oh, I do love the pantomime season, I really do!

:D :D

Parky

« Reply #10 on: 22:44:17, 19/12/18 »
It just keeps getting better and better!

In their wisdom, the ManYoo directors have decided to appoint a "United man" who "knows the club" to get them through their rapidly disintegrating season. To all of us who don't hold the Rags close to our hearts, this is simply too good to be true. It's the kind of scenario that usually unfolds in the lower divisions or at non-league level, and even then only at clubs who are haunted by the looming spectre of relegation and are thrashing around desperately for a quick fix for their problems. The only piece in the jigsaw yet to fit into place is the five year contract extension (with massive salary increase) for Paul Pogba who, so far as I can see, is merely Mario Balotelli without the talent. In fact, that's it!!! Why don't they go the full hog and actually sign Mario as well? ??? ?? Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

And while I'm at it, I've thought of another candidate who might be ideally suited to delivering United's  master plan for the Roaring Twenties. Paul Tisdale did a fantastic job at Exeter City for many years but he has recently become available. Maybe Fergie's already on the phone to his agent. Wait and see....

Oh, I do love the pantomime season, I really do!

:D :D
oh no you don’t

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 19:36:44, 21/12/18 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46648484

Manchester United players "got away with murder" and behaved "shamefully" towards sacked manager Jose Mourinho, says ex-Red Devils captain Roy Keane.

Keane said it was indicative of the behaviour of modern players, whom he says are "very weak human beings".

Mourinho was sacked on Tuesday, with former striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appointed caretaker manager until the end of the season.

"You would fall out with these players," Keane told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Players who turn up overweight, do not train properly and are not producing... for some to down tools, shame on some of those players.

"I am not Mourinho's biggest fan, but I can't tolerate footballers who hide behind agents, their pals in the media - it is a bit of a joke."
◾Listen to the full Keane interview on 'Chiles on Friday'
◾Sanchez denies Mourinho sacking 'bet'

Mourinho was sacked after two and a half years in charge, with United 19 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool.

He was reported to have repeatedly fallen out with players, including record £89m signing Paul Pogba.

Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Keane, speaking to Adrian Chiles, added: "The players got away with murder. They hide behind the manager. They have thrown him under the bus."

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 19:39:48, 21/12/18 »
I'm not a fan of Keane but I can believe what he said.

ExileSteve

« Reply #13 on: 21:59:43, 23/12/18 »
I never imagined I would find myself in agreement with Roy Keane, but I reckon he's absolutely spot-on.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 11:17:58, 24/12/18 »
Peter Schmeikel wants to be a 'Director of Football' at Old Trafford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46662963