Author Topic: Schools  (Read 1410 times)

Dorothyl

Schools
« on: 01:14:10, 03/01/19 »
Hello everyone .
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year? 

As you can see I've got a different topic .but I'm really not sure about any dates.

What I'm trying to find out is the name of a school if possible .my great gran Frances Jones half brothers  went to.  There names are Ernest Hopwood Jones  and Albert Jones.  My great grans father  remarried after his wife passed away.  My great. Great  grandfather was called william Hopwood Jones.  His 1st wife was called Ellen. Her maiden name was Tomlinson .
When my great. Great grandfather remarried. He married a lady called Edith Maria Matthews .apperantly they had 4 children.  2 boys and 2 girls. 

The 2 boys went to school in style Cheshire. They would have been in there early teens .Ernest was born 1900. He passed away 1980's.

I don't know anything else about what school it was or where they was all living. I don't even know anything about the 2 girls except there names . Edith Annie .and Elizabeth. 

My great, great grandfather william Hopwood Jones passed away 1907. And Edith Maria  remarried to her 2nd husband. Henry Waterhouse in 1913.

If anyone can help me and fill in any gaps .I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again for your time and help

Dorothy

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Schools
« Reply #1 on: 08:48:04, 03/01/19 »
Good morning Dorothy,

I hope you had a good xmas,  O0 for 2019

I'm sure people will be along soon to help ;)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Dorothyl

« Reply #2 on: 00:12:43, 04/01/19 »
Hi.
I had a quiet Christmas and new year .just seemed like any other day .

I have found out something about a school I was asking about. a lady called sue who helped me at the beginning of last year with my great gran Frances Jones.

I sent her a message yesterday .about it.
Apparently  the 2 boys that I mentioned .called  Ernest Hopwood Jones and Albert Jones .
they went into a  children's home  in style  it was called  style  cottage home  apperantly  it was for the poor children of Manchester.  It was in the 1911 census

When william Hopwood Jones  ( the husband of 2nd wife  Edith Maria ) when he passed away 1907. Edith was left with 4 children. 2 boys and 2 girls . The boy's  went into this cottage home .and the girls stayed with her.

Now I'm trying to figure out something else that belongs to that. What would it have been like.and is the building still standing. 

Also  my mum mentioned a lady called Edith Boswell .Boswell  is a marriage name .but I can't find anything like what her husbands 1st name is .there is a Edith  in my great grans family. But half sister . Maybe  she's  the wife of Mr Boswell.  The lady called Edith .apart from Edith Maria Matthews  who married  my great. Great grandfather.
They had a daughter called  Edith Annie. She was born 1902

Edith Annie Jones  was the sister of the 2 boys and sister of Elizabeth. 
Possibly  Edith Annie  married  Mr Boswell  later on. 

I have a family list from my mum. But she never knew the dob's .she listed a member of the family as in law  like sister in law and brother in law.   So I'm going to have a look through my list of names my mum wrote down for me.

I wish now I could remember  if Edith was the one living in the same block of flats as my great gran Frances Jones .
I'm sure my mum said Edith lived above my great gran.

Anyway thank you for letting me know. And thank you for my messages.

Dorothy

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 12:21:21, 13/01/19 »
The building may be Styal Prison, on Styal Road, which runs from Gatley past Ringway Road (a mile from Manchester Airport) it is still there.

Dorothyl

« Reply #4 on: 23:56:53, 13/01/19 »
Thank you for your help. ( sorry I forgot to put your name.  I apologise )

I shown my husband the photo .and he said that's style prison.  I didn't know it was now a prison.
It's amazing. The building  my great grans half brothers was in is now a prison .

I wonder if it's changed much from when they was there. Except for the prison guards 😊

Thank you again for helping me out with this. 
Much appreciated.

Dorothy

celeste

• Global Moderator