Author Topic: Regional weather forecast for NorthWest  (Read 2362 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Regional weather forecast for NorthWest
« on: 13:58:58, 23/01/19 »
Regional Forecast for North West England

Headline:

Sleet, hill snow and ice tonight

This Evening and Tonight:

Under clear skies, frost will soon re-form during the evening. Patchy rain, sleet and hill snow will move southwards through the region during the night. Where this falls onto frozen pavements and untreated roads, ice will form. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Thursday:

There will be icy patches in some places on Thursday morning. Most of the day will be bright but rather cold but it will cloud over late in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Friday will be breezy, cloudy but milder, with patchy rain and hill-fog. Strong winds and rain on Saturday will be followed by wintry showers. Sunday will be colder and brighter.

Updated: 13:35 on Wed 23 Jan 2019 GMT
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

Re: Regional weather forecast for NorthWest
« Reply #1 on: 17:54:42, 23/01/19 »
If we get 1" of snow everything will come to a standstill  ::)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 10:37:06, 30/01/19 »
More than 200 schools are shut across Greater Manchester due to heavy snow that is causing widespread disruption for commuters and flights.

Boroughs including Trafford, Salford, Oldham, Manchester and Stockport have confirmed 214 schools closures.

Manchester Airport and Liverpool Airport closed their runways, but Liverpool's has since reopened.

Greater Manchester Police tweeted there had been multiple reports of crashes on the motorway network as well.

In Stockport, 70 schools alone have been closed, with more in Bury and Bolton.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 12:28:34, 30/01/19 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/43225661/pupils-versus-teachers-snowball-fight

Pupils versus teachers snowball fight - video

A primary school head teacher has allowed his pupils to take on teachers in a snowball fight.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live’s Anna Foster, Mr Snow, of Alleyn Court Prep School in Southend, said it’s important for pupils to see teachers in a different light.

celeste

• Global Moderator

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 16:16:07, 31/01/19 »
Heavy snow is expected to fall across Wales and southern England later, bringing travel disruption for the evening rush hour.

The Met Office has upgraded a weather warning from yellow to amber for heavy snow between 14:00 to 21:00 GMT.

Meanwhile, temperatures have fallen to the lowest level this winter, with Braemar, Aberdeenshire, dropping to -14.4C (6F) this morning.

It is the lowest in the UK since -15.6C in Holbeach, Lincolnshire, in 2012.

The Met Office warns the heavy snow could cause:

◾Travel delays on roads which could strand some vehicles and passengers
◾Some delays and cancellations to rail travel
◾Rural communities could be cut off
◾Power cuts are likely and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, could be affected

What's the forecast?

Further snow is forecast overnight into Friday, with 5-10cm (2-4in) expected in Wales and south west England.

In other parts of southern England, there could be 1-7cm (up to 3in) of snow.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #6 on: 22:20:58, 31/01/19 »
Looks bad in Steve's neck of the woods

ExileSteve

« Reply #7 on: 22:02:15, 03/02/19 »
Looks bad in Steve's neck of the woods

It certainly wasn't too rosey, that's for sure. Cornwall Council decided not to treat the roads (remind me again, what do we pay these bar stewards Council Tax for?)

My wife was supposed to be working on Thursday night but she had to phone in to cancel, on account of not being able to get out of the village we live in. And I only just made it home that day. If I'd left it even five minutes later I doubt I would have got there, I would have been stuck in the car overnight or forced to abandon it.

Oh well, Spring isn't too far away now........

lozflan

« Reply #8 on: 08:43:19, 04/02/19 »
Living a bit high up,glad the snow has now gone,because when we get some ,it stays longer. When I see snow on a roof,Ive always thought,that one is well insulated. But have now found that perhaps they can't afford to have the heating on.
« Last Edit: 08:47:22, 04/02/19 by lozflan »
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

St Chads Lad

« Reply #9 on: 14:48:18, 04/02/19 »

TV news interviewed a bloke that had been stuck in the snow in his vehicle, I think he said he worked for the National Trust, he said that the journey he was on wasn't necessary but he felt he had to make it (?), he was talking about the appalling weather and freezing temperatures, and that he felt guilty keeping the car engine running because in all the discomfort and uncertainty he was experiencing he was worried about the environmental damage he was causing by keeping the motor running to keep the heater on  ::) , if he was so eco friendly, why make an unnecessary trip in the first place?
     What a plum.  ;D

ExileSteve

« Reply #10 on: 21:34:23, 04/02/19 »
TV news interviewed a bloke that had been stuck in the snow in his vehicle, I think he said he worked for the National Trust, he said that the journey he was on wasn't necessary but he felt he had to make it (?), he was talking about the appalling weather and freezing temperatures, and that he felt guilty keeping the car engine running because in all the discomfort and uncertainty he was experiencing he was worried about the environmental damage he was causing by keeping the motor running to keep the heater on  ::) , if he was so eco friendly, why make an unnecessary trip in the first place?
     What a plum.  ;D

Can you imagine being trapped in a lift with a w***** like him? If ever there was such a thing as justifiable homicide it would be in a case like that and, let's face it, whoever throttled him would be doing him a favour in any case. He doesn't really sound terribly happy, does he?

celeste

• Global Moderator

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 13:25:10, 28/07/19 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49143717

Flooding shuts roads in Northwest