Author Topic: Holy Name Church  (Read 1625 times)

HolyNameResearch

Holy Name Church
« on: 13:43:10, 08/02/19 »
Do you have any memories of the Holy Name Church in south manchester from when it was a parish church?

We are taking part in a Heritage Lottery Funded research project for the Holy Name Church, and wish to request your help.

The Holy Name Church is a Grade 1 listed gothic revival building of 1869-71 by Joseph Hansom. Built by the Jesuits, it served as a parish church to a local community of mainly Irish immigrant families until 1960 when the housing around the Church was cleared and the University took over the land. The Holy Name then became the Church of the University Catholic Chaplaincy, which continues to this day.

'Your Holy Name Story' is a project which seeks to explore the connection between the Holy Name and its local communities. It seeks to reconnect elderly people with their cultural and religious heritage. The aim of this project is to record personal accounts of experiences of the Church by conducting interviews with people who attended the Church while also acquiring photographs, archives and local history pertaining to the Church.

If you have any memories of the church from this time, or know anyone who does, please email us or reply to this thread.

To find out more, search 'your holy name story' on google.

Thank you!

Pat mellor

Re: Holy Name Church
« Reply #1 on: 00:24:09, 11/04/19 »
We used to play on church step in 60s and lived behind the university happy times!

Caff88

« Reply #2 on: 19:26:36, 22/07/19 »
Hi third time lucky posting this hopefully. I have been trying to post a school photo from the Holy name Church school from 1956 to 1959. My dad asked me if I could find any information on any of the people on it and that's how I came across this post. My dad's name is Sean O'Sullivan (mother Breda and dad Connie, sisters Breda, Helen and Maura) I will try and post the photo some how. He and his family attended the Holy name Church and he is interested to find people he may have known.
Kind regards
Catheine O'Sullivan

Caff88

« Reply #3 on: 00:00:32, 23/07/19 »
 I cannot post a photo xhoose how hard I try. Please if anyone would like a photo of Holy Name School in 1956 to 1959 and think you might be on it or know someone then feel free to email me on caff 3001 @ hotmail .com My.dad is called Sean Sullivan.