Author Topic: STYAL RESIDENTIAL OPEN AIR SCHOOL  (Read 8899 times)

Wythyboy

STYAL RESIDENTIAL OPEN AIR SCHOOL
« on: 20:34:51, 16/02/19 »
Hi. Were you a boarder at Styal Residential Open Air School ?
I would like to hear from anyone who boarded thete. I was there between 1957-59 in Peter Pan House. It would be great to hear from anyone regarding their stay and experiences. Girl or Boy. Thanks Barry.
« Last Edit: 20:50:44, 16/02/19 by Wythyboy »

Roy

Re: STYAL RESIDENTIAL OPEN AIR SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: 12:04:49, 12/07/19 »
I spent time at peter pan and later robin hood had agreat once over home sickness

Wythyboy

« Reply #2 on: 16:13:14, 12/07/19 »
Hi Roy
What years were you at Styal Open Air School ?

Roy

« Reply #3 on: 18:36:41, 25/07/19 »
Hello sorry I was in Spain when I first found your request and phone died. in answer to when I was at styal  it was around 1954/5 in peter pan second time 1960/1 in robin hood I remember Scott's emulsion cod-liver oil and malt, wash rooms and dorm's with pots in for the toilet Breakfast cart sister steel and nurse Lyons, communal baths and nit checks and school across the yard morning exercise and Sunday church

Wythyboy

« Reply #4 on: 01:36:57, 13/08/19 »
Hello again Roy.

What a shame we were not there same time. I loved it in Peter Pan House and never saw any of the abuse that I have read about. I do know once it became The Bollin cross School there was a great deal of documented abuse.
Nurse Lyons took a shine to me which was a good thing as although no abuse she would give some of the kids a really scary stare! Once during her bible story Sundays I sat with my finger over my lips so as not to be seen talking! She walked over and gave me a brand new bible with pictures Ha Ha. Sorry Nurse Lyons but I never got past the first few pages!
Yes I remember all you have put plus being a breakfast monitor. One bowl of porridge, one round of white bread and a heaped spoon of Lyons Golden Syrup. Great stuff. Sunday visits to the local church with our one penny piece for the collection plate. Had to hold hands with the girls from Wendy House all the way there and back. Do you recall Nurse Jones she was Welsh. She was a softy and loved all us kids. Mr Potts or Potter the teacher with the false leg. Cut off by the Japanese or so he said, but could have been true and Miss Deacon and Critchley. Talking of Nurse Lyons. I visited her after she had retired and living in Ashton or Ashton Under Line. Invited her to my wedding. She couldn't come due to arthritis I think but sent us a card and a ten shilling note. My parents lived close by in Woodhouse Park and visited every Sunday. I felt really sad for all those who never got a visit. Remember the forced sleeps after lunch in the main hall on those camp beds listening to Mozart or similar LPs ? I was placed there because of my really bad asthma which kept me away from school for long periods. Glad to say that although I have always needed a spray it almost cured me and made school each day after I left. I have recently retired from the NHS where I worked as a Theatre Technician so managed to make up for my absences by  achieving five O Levels. Immediately after leaving school I joined the RAF for six years in a chopper squadron. Are you on FACEBOOK if so I could befriend you there  if you give me your Facebook name. Mine is HARRY PLANT A few may pop up but you cannot miss me as its a photo of my eldest son wearing his Flight Sergeant Uniform embracing a pretty blond girl! Well I have probably bored you to tears but so pleased to have received just one reply. Yours!!!!!  I suppose some of the kids want to forget but I loved every minute. Especially messing around in the dormitory's after lights out and roller skating round the playground at great speed not to forget climbing over the fence into the Orchard of Oak Farm and nicking the odd apple. Happy Days my friend. Take care. Oh, where were you from and where are you now ? I am living in North Devon close to Barnstaple. Bye

Roy

« Reply #5 on: 14:25:48, 17/08/19 »
I was sent to styal being very underweight( Nickname bones)  i lived in Monton street moss side I  remember

breakfast's  of bacon and sausages which i hated tried to flush them down toilet they were unsinkable and the sweet pantry with tins with your name or number I never heard of any sort of abuse unless you count the camp beds in the after noon and overall look back with good memories of my time there, I also spent time at St. Annes and LLandudno convalescent homes and they must have done there job as I was not expected to live past twenty one, did they get that wrong as i am know approaching seventy two. Catch you again
Regards
Roy

Wythyboy

« Reply #6 on: 06:59:02, 20/08/19 »
Thanks for your welcome reply. So glad that you did make it past the goal they set for you.
We had a Roy in Peter Pan dorm he was actually in my room. It would be strange if either I or you have the dates a little mixed up! Do you recall an Alan Scaife also a Robert and a boy whose last name was Dalton always chewing his shoe laces! and a lad called George whose sister was in Wendy House, she was called Mary. They were the only names I recall from my dorm apart from a Roy. I was number 22 and slept in the front corner of the dorm facing out towards the main gates. The only Robin Hood boy I recall lived near me, Ian Reid and was a bit of a bad one!
Do you recall that four of us at a time having to use the outside loos for a pee just before bed! Couldn't get away with that now! Then it was the pots in the dorm for a wee and only dare use the main loo in the corridor if you needed the other.
I was so very sad to drive by and see that all of those fine Victorian buildings had been demolished. If you are good with a computer just go on google  street maps. Type in Styal women's prison and next to it you will see just the foundations of the dorms and admin blocks and classrooms. Why do that ?Surely they were listed buildings and could have even extended the prison into them. Fortunately in the mid eighties I took my son and daughter when they were still standing. Have some good photos of them in front of Peter Pan and the classrooms. Happy days Roy. Take care mate. Barry

Roy

« Reply #7 on: 13:28:19, 20/08/19 »
cant remember my number 13 rings a bell but could have been robin hood having gone twice to styal its a little mixed up I know my last visit ended around Christmas 1960 sticks in my mind because no one could collect me and I went home on my own on the 64 bus that went from styal to cannon st.down Wilmslow road a great adventure for me at the time , its hard to remember names  but had two girl friends! Rosalind Sudlow and Elsie May but both in Snow white so I must have been in Robin hood at the time  I did have a mate called Paul Ball nick named bouncer I think he was from Wythenshawe area kept in touch for a while I know he went into the army but not heard of him in years . its great to look back don't suppose any such places left. It's odd what you remember  I can remember the swings to the right of the gates and the pigs in the farm and I have a legacy from styal still, when running to the main gates to see visitors off  I tripped landed on my face and loosend to front top teeth that are still twisted to this day happy memories ,overall a good time in my life
Regards
Roy 

Wythyboy

« Reply #8 on: 03:30:13, 21/08/19 »
Hi Roy,
I won’t keep on you must be bored of me by now😂Bit if you wanted to give me your email I can scan a few colour photos of all the houses. My two standing in front of Peter Pan plus the classrooms and a large black and white photo showing a tea party with Matron nurse Lyons plus one other nurse and a group of lads who I think are around your time there. Anyway let me know and if I don’t hear back we will leave it there. Old buddies with memories of Styal. Bye Roy Barry.

Jill kupczak

« Reply #9 on: 17:20:22, 21/01/20 »
Anyone who attended this open air school in the 60 s please respond with your memories. Rose Whelan. Layinka hooker. Christine macro. Just a few of the girls I remember. Staff nurse pinfold and preece and matron fawcet. Thankyou

Wythyboy

« Reply #10 on: 02:50:07, 22/01/20 »
Well done and hope you find some of your friends. I was there 57-59 in Peter pan house you were probably from Wendy.
 House. Were you from the area ? I was from W

Wythyboy

« Reply #11 on: 02:53:07, 22/01/20 »
Sorry got cut off. I was from Woodhouse park Wythenshawe which is only about ten miles from the school. I think you will find most of the nurses have passed away now.Nurse Matron Lyons died in a road accident. W

Wythyboy

« Reply #12 on: 03:02:41, 22/01/20 »
Don't know why we are getting cut off. Nurse Lyons and me stayed in touch for a long time. I think nurse jones must now Have passed on or be very old. Don't give up it took ages before I received a reply. Where are you living now. I live in Beautiful North Devon. Unfortunately alone. I do have a son who is at university but hardly get to see him. The school helped cure my asthma.
Please keep in touch. Best wishes Barry.  if you are ever down and need a chat give me a call on 01598710362 or 07513795683 I remember lots about Styal. I loved it there. Very Happy Memories. Bye Jill.

G holme

« Reply #13 on: 04:20:24, 22/01/20 »
I spent a few weeks at Styal homes when it was an orphanage. I was there around 1941/42 when the war was on. We went to school outside the orphanage down the road towards the village. My brother, sister and I were taken into care and placed there because our parents were both sick at the time and it was considered safer for us to be at Styal.
The experience was NOT pleasant. When we went home, we were very sorry to leave behind other residents who really were orphans.
Glad you had more pleasant experiences.
George 

Jill kupczak

« Reply #14 on: 17:11:11, 30/01/20 »
Hi  Barry! Wasn't sure how to answer messages I was there in 64 and was in snow white! I now live in Ashton. Loved my time at styalnand have only fond memories.  I am involved incharity shop work and a singing group. My life is very full and I am happy. Don't regret going to styal. Nice to hear from you jill