Author Topic: Ancoats  (Read 1754 times)

Parky

Ancoats
« on: 09:40:23, 16/03/19 »
Mrs parky was reading a article about Ancoats in which it said the area had one of the highest mortality rates in the country in the eighteen hundreds,  to tackle this the council started to implement new houses with a clean drinking water system and a massive improvement on sanitary, after awhile conditions and life expectancy rose,to celebrate this  Manchester City Council named one of the new streets Sanitary st ,many years later the residents asked the council to change the name so they dropped a few letters off and it became  Anita street which is still there and had become on of the most sort after streets in that area,

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Ancoats
« Reply #1 on: 10:06:09, 16/03/19 »
I can't blame them for the name change :D

When I looked at the black and white photos they looked so dismal, what a difference colour photography makes,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=&bih=&ei=T8mMXKipDMGxgwe2ubDYBw&q=Anita+Street%2C+Ancoats%2C+Manchester#
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #2 on: 10:36:27, 16/03/19 »
There is a good article in the evening news ( for a change) about long gone cafes and restaurants in Manchester unfortunately I’m a complete dunce at putting links on so if anyone could do the honours

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 10:46:16, 16/03/19 »
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/manchester-pubs-bars-from-past-10968361

found this, I'll see if I can find anything earlier

Kardomah was in St. Ann's Square

City Snacks and City Cafeteria on Todd Street

Meng and Ekker, St. Ann's Passage

Mogambo
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 10:54:14, 16/03/19 »
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/manchester-pubs-bars-from-past-10968361

found this, I'll see if I can find anything earlier

Kardomah was in St. Ann's Square

City Snacks and City Cafeteria on Todd Street

Meng and Ekker, St. Ann's Passage

Mogambo
O0

St Chads Lad

« Reply #5 on: 12:00:44, 16/03/19 »
Those houses on Anita st fetch a nice price.

ronyrash

« Reply #6 on: 16:48:23, 30/03/19 »
In the 40s my mother mi mam, "Handy Edi" used to take my brother and me to the Blackbird Cafe in Back Picadilly for dinner .There were at least 3 UCP restaurants around the city centre,two on Market St.I was apprenticed as an electricion to building contractor G.Waite Minshul st.,often doing repairs for UCP.at their Longsight pie factory a free pie was a perk.The wages was 30 bob a week.There was lots of variety with all the different shops and busneses and a wonderful introduction to the first Industrial City in the World.
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #7 on: 17:02:31, 30/03/19 »
I remember going in UCP restaurant on Market st. a few times late 60's early 70's, it was above the UCP shop as I recall.