Author Topic: Manchester Bike Robber jailed at 17 gives up hope of release  (Read 1138 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47879038

A man who remains in prison after he was jailed aged 17 for stealing a bike has given up hope of being released, his family has said.

Wayne Bell was given a now-obsolete type of indefinite sentence for robbery in 2007.

Now 29, he has suffered a mental breakdown and feels "trapped" after being repeatedly turned down for release, his relatives said.

The Parole Board said its was handling cases as quickly as possible.

Mr Bell received the Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP) sentence in 2007 after he was arrested for taking a bike from a boy he assaulted in Withington, Manchester.

Carl Bell
Image caption
Carl Bell said his son had been unable to access courses which would help his parole case

He was told he would serve a minimum sentence of four years for the crime.

Mr Bell's father, Carl, said his son had gone before the Parole Board every two years but had been denied release for a number of reasons.

His son had been unable to access courses to tackle issues including anger management because they were oversubscribed, he said.

Mr Bell said his son had been an "easy target" for other inmates which had led to him becoming involved in fights and further hampered his release.

"We are all hoping, but Wayne has given up.

"He's 29 years old and he's had no life."

He said the abolition of IPP sentences in 2012 had come too late for his son and called on the government to release him.

continued/
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Extraordinary, one of my sons had his bike stolen but I wouldn't have expected robbery to have a greater sentence than GBH, rape or stalking.

St Chads Lad

The report says he assaulted the person he stole the bike from, maybe this guy has a propensity towards violence, the article doesn't state the nature of the assault, the parole board will have the details regarding that and also his behaviour while he's been in clink, suggestions he may have anger management issues, and they may think he's a risk.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Yes, but isn't everyone entitled to know how long their sentence is to be? Twelve years seems too much imo

St Chads Lad

If the parole board is denying his release, and he's fighting with other crims while he's banged up, leave him where he is because some poor sod is gonna be on the other end of his "issues" if they let him out, that's all I'm  saying because I think it's very possible it wasn't his first offence.

Parky

They don’t keep people in prison for nothing ,more to this