Author Topic: Fraudster poses as Jason Statham to steal victim's money  (Read 1498 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47969165

A fraudster posing as Hollywood actor Jason Statham cheated a British woman out of hundreds of thousands using an online scam, the BBC has learned.

It comes as police warn such crimes are at "epidemic" levels, with Greater Manchester Police (GMP) receiving reports of about 1,000 victims a month.

Detectives fear the true figure may be up to 10 times higher as many fraud victims never come forward.

Det Con Craig Moylon said: "It's the volume crime of the 21st Century."

A recent estimate put the total lost to fraud each year in the UK at about £110bn.

One victim from the North West of England told BBC Radio Manchester she had lost a fortune after being targeted by a fraudster who has "just got no feelings at all".

The woman, who asked not to be named, said she was targeted at a vulnerable time following the deaths of both her mother and fiancé.

"I'm quite a strong person but obviously certain things get to you and you let your guard down," she said.

'Star-struck'

The woman said she was first contacted online by someone posing as Mr Statham while she was on a Facebook page dedicated to the Fast and Furious star.

"I thought 'Oh, that's nice of him, talking to his fans'. I might have been star-struck then, I don't know," she said.

The fraudster then encouraged her to use the encrypted WhatsApp service, sending her hundreds of messages over several months.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Fraudster poses as Jason Statham to steal victim's money
« Reply #1 on: 07:45:39, 29/04/19 »
While the woman declined to say the exact figure she transferred, "it was a substantial amount, which would have made a difference to my life and my family".

Eventually, she contacted GMP, whose Economic Crime Unit investigated what had taken place.

"This lady has been subject to somebody who just tricked her at a very vulnerable time in her life," said Mr Moylon, who was involved in the investigation.

"When you see the relentless messaging that this lady got from this person and you see the grooming and the exploitation... the impact is extraordinary," he said.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 07:48:05, 29/04/19 »
Warning: If anyone contacts me pretending to be Liam Neeson they'll get their answer

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 09:04:08, 29/04/19 »
Warning: If anyone contacts me pretending to be Liam Neeson they'll get their answer
:o

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 12:07:27, 29/04/19 »
The person responsible for fiddling this lady out of her money is a dirty lowlife and I don't know how he sleeps at night, but come on, she mustn't have seen his missus, Rosie Huntington Whitely, she is drop dead gorgeous, how she thought he was going to throw her over for a stranger on WhatsApp defies belief, no wonder she remains anonymous.  ::)
  Doesn't make it right though.

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 13:35:42, 29/04/19 »
Not making  light out of it but If the lady wants to buy ringway airport off me , she can have it for ten grand

lozflan

« Reply #6 on: 16:47:05, 29/04/19 »
Parky,are you open to offers?
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 17:05:12, 29/04/19 »
Parky,are you open to offers?
im also selling Wembley stadium as well