Author Topic: Help for homeless in Eccles  (Read 1725 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Help for homeless in Eccles
« on: 08:55:25, 31/05/19 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-48464670

The building of 39 apartments aimed at providing housing for those at risk of homelessness has begun in Salford.

Landlord company ForHousing said the £3.7m development in Eccles would "address a shortage of low-cost supported accommodation" in the city.

A spokeswoman said they were being built on three sites that had "become anti-social behaviour hotspots".

Salford Mayor Paul Dennett said the flats would "go a long way to helping people get a roof over their heads".

Figures from Church of England group Greater Together Manchester show more than 1,000 are homeless in Salford, which accounts for almost 20% of those homeless across Greater Manchester.

ForHousing said work was under way at a site on Haddon Road, with planning approval currently being sought for locations on Vicars Street and Somerset Road.

The spokeswoman said the landlord would provide support to tenants for two years to assist with employment, training opportunities and long-term accommodation.

She added that the first site was scheduled for completion in spring 2020 with the other two sites completing by the following summer, subject to planning permission.

Welcoming the scheme, the region's mayor Andy Burnham, who has pledged to end rough sleeping in the area by 2020, said a "big part of reducing levels of homelessness in the long term is to build more homes for social rent".
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

joey claire

Re: Help for homeless in Eccles
« Reply #1 on: 14:52:16, 31/05/19 »
damn, roughly 1400 homes standing empty - 94 of which have been empty for over 10 years and we still got homeless peeps sprawled everywhere, i've personally started to notice much more homeless people on the streets than usual recently as well

yet we're spending £8.6 million on a refurbishment of a leisure centre and throwing more £'s at the restoration of Wythenshawe Hall lol

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 16:38:56, 31/05/19 »
I believe Moston has a lot of empty terraced houses which could be renovated or offered to buyers to renovate themselves at a nominal price.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #3 on: 16:58:51, 31/05/19 »
People from the area now call it Mostonbique, if you go there you'll see the reasons are obvious, High number of African immigrants, large parts are run down and lots of anti social behaviour we used to go down there a lot, shopping etc., but not any more.
. Apologies to any Mostonians that read this, it was a good area but now it's awful, it was a nice area some years back but sadly declined like many areas now.
 Also remember that for some, homelessness is a lifestyle choice.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 17:52:35, 31/05/19 »
I remember one of our members, Arthur Chappell saying the same thing
« Last Edit: 17:56:09, 31/05/19 by celeste »

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 20:00:03, 31/05/19 »
People from the area now call it Mostonbique, if you go there you'll see the reasons are obvious, High number of African immigrants, large parts are run down and lots of anti social behaviour we used to go down there a lot, shopping etc., but not any more.
. Apologies to any Mostonians that read this, it was a good area but now it's awful, it was a nice area some years back but sadly declined like many areas now.
 Also remember that for some, homelessness is a lifestyle choice.
spot on about moston , but apparently the government at the time before the London Olympics cleared vast areas to create the Olympic facilities and moved hundreds upon hundreds if not thousands of people into north Manchester mainly moston not  surprisingly they didn’t rehouse them in the more salubrious areas of Manchester

St Chads Lad

« Reply #6 on: 20:13:54, 31/05/19 »
Yes Parky, and look how enriched the place is, I've heard a few stories about the area and by all accounts the people that have lived there for years are less than happy, illegal drinking dens, loud music 'til all hours and the council do nothing, a few years back I was working in a school kitchen in the area and one of the ladies there told me one shop on Moston Lane had a sign on the door saying 'No Whites', she seemed pretty adamant that it was true.

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 20:26:55, 31/05/19 »
I have heard that story but can’t confirm if it’s true , but  I did see a shop which I thought was derelict until I looked in the widow and saw it was a “ meat  shop “, I won’t call it a butchers , the place was filthy and amongst other delicacies there was monkey meat !!!

St Chads Lad

« Reply #8 on: 20:31:23, 31/05/19 »
Was it a Fish & Chimp shop? 😁

St Chads Lad

« Reply #9 on: 13:28:46, 09/06/19 »
I have heard that story but can’t confirm if it’s true , but  I did see a shop which I thought was derelict until I looked in the widow and saw it was a “ meat  shop “, I won’t call it a butchers , the place was filthy and amongst other delicacies there was monkey meat !!!
. I read today that Monkey meat is becoming a popular choice at weddings in the UK, yummy 🤮