Author Topic: Help  (Read 1602 times)

Dorothyl

Help
« on: 02:51:26, 07/06/19 »
Hello everyone
I honestly don't know how to find this or if any of the group can find it.
I don't know much about what I'm trying to find out. Only what I remember  I was told by my mum and aunt.
It's going to be a bit difficult I think. But I think its worth asking.
 What I'm trying to find out is where would my great gran Frances Jones was living before she moved to hattersly.

All I know is she lived in sale in wythenshawe. The address was something like Osborne Terrace. 
I shown my mum and address I found some time ago  which had 17 Osborne Terrace Sale Cheshire.  But that was o  the 1911 census.  But from what I have been told my great gran Frances Jones was living in wales working. 
My aunt said she only remembers  that it was called terrace. And it was a house made into flats. She doesn't remember the address because she was only young herself. Unless her mum  told her about it.
When I shown my mum the print out I had with the address on. She said it was her gran and her ocupation was machinest. Which now as got me confused.  If this is my great gran Frances Jones address. How was she managed to be working in wales 1911? 

I know it's not a lot of go on. But I was just wondering if anyone can please help me.
I've been trying to find out for the last few weeks. I just keep going round in circles.

If there's anything anyone can help me with. I really would appreciate it.

Thank you again for your time and help

Dorothy

Marj

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: 14:38:02, 08/06/19 »

Hi Dorothy,

Can you give the details of the 1911 census you have, it will make it easier to help

Marj

oldron

« Reply #2 on: 17:49:29, 08/06/19 »

This may help Marj,

Frances Jones     Head          44     Widow
William Jones    Son             24      Bricklayer
George Jones     Son             20      Bricklayer
Frances Jones    Daughter     14     Sewing Machinist
Robert Jones      Son             12     School
Harold Jones      Son              9      School

Osbourne terrace still exists, it's a typical two-up two-down,
unlikely to have been flats I would have thought.

Oldron.

Marj

« Reply #3 on: 17:55:42, 08/06/19 »

Thanks Oldron,

Marj

oldron

« Reply #4 on: 18:49:56, 08/06/19 »

1891 Census: Location: Newton

William Jones    Head    27    Bricklayer    Stafford (Old Swinsford)
Francis Jones     Wife     24                          Manchester
Mary A Jones     Daur      6    Scholar              "
William Jones     Son       5        "                     "
George H Jones  Son       2mnths                     "

Oldron

oldron

« Reply #5 on: 19:11:43, 08/06/19 »

Another possible match.

Census 1901: 33 Burnley Street, Ancoats.

William Jones       Head      34       Jobbing bricksetter
Frances  Jones       Wife      25
Leah      Jones       Daur       6
Harold   Jones       Son         2
Catherine Buckley      Sister-in-law

Oldron.

Dorothyl

« Reply #6 on: 09:48:20, 11/06/19 »
Hello everyone.
Apparently the Frances Jones in 17 Osborne Terrace Sale isn't my great gran Frances Jones.

This is what I know about my great gran Frances Jones

My great gran Frances Jones only had one son called Alfred Evan Jones.
She was born 12th of march 1891 in Warrington. Her son  ( my grandad )was born 27th September 1914. Withington.

My great gran Frances Jones never married . She lived in a few places  before she passed away in 1967 and from what I've been told by my aunt  my great gran Frances was living with a john jones.  He passed away before my great gran moved. Apparently he was found in the bathroom. 
The strange thing is. On my grandparents marriage certificate it says name of father's name for my grandad  it says john jones.  Which is odd because  there was a john jones in my great grans family but before she was born.  I think it was 1848 and  she never married  my grandads birth  father.

But I have found out something  which I'm confused about. 

I have a helper I sometimes ask for help with. But she's on holiday. She sent me 2 separate emails.  This one came 1st.

Frances Jones 1 = daughter of William Hopwood Jones and Ellen Tomlinson - born in Warrington in 1891

1891 - Frances, aged 3 months with William and Ellen in Warrington
1901 - Frances, aged 10 with William and Edith (second wife) born Warrington, living in Didsbury
1911 - Frances, aged 20 Laundress born Warrington, living in North Wales
1914 - Alfred Evan Jones born Manchester, Frances is a Laundress (from memory)

Alfred Evan Jones is in the same grave as William Hopwood Jones

Frances Jones 2 = daughter of William Jones and Frances Ingham - born Manchester 1897

1901 - Manchester
William Jones - 37 - born Staffordshire
Frances - 34 - born Manchester
William - 15
George - 9
Frances - 4 - born Manchester

1911 - Osborne Terrace
Frances Jones - 44 - born Manchester
William
George
Frances - 14 - born Manchester

Take your pick 🤔

This 2nd one she sent me yesterday. 

Looking again at a document I sent to you some time ago, related to where they lived:

Frances:
1911 = Wales
1914 = Manchester (Alfred Evan Jones birth)
1933 - 1939 = (and possibly until 1941 when Mr Crossfield died) - 59 Rusholme Road, Chorlton (Alfred Evan Jones marriage and 1939 register)
1939 - 1967 = not known
1967 = 41 Fields Court, Hyde (death certificate)

Eveline:
1911 = Aberdeen (with David and Annie Shulman)
1933 = 59 Rusholme Road, Chorlton (marriage to Alfred Evan Jones)
1939 = 1 Council Houses, Newcastle under Lyme (1939Register)
1944 = 1 Norwood Street, Chorlton (Jean's birth certificate)
1946 = 58 Park Street (Alfred Evan Jones death certificate)
1946 = Manchester (marriage to James Owens)

So now I'm completely confused. Do I keep the 1st  one she sent me or not.

But I still would like to know where / have any photos of where my great gran Frances Jones was living.  It all helps me with my  family background or family tree.

My hubby says why does it matter now. I say it matters to me because it's part of what I'm trying to do.  He's not into this family background stuff. Because he doesn't know anything about his parents side of the family. Apparently he was told everyone was his auntie and uncle. Even neighbours.   I had that also as I was growing up.  It was classed as respect for the olders. That's what my dad said.

Anyway I hope that any of the group can help me with this? .
I honestly do appreciate your help and it would  be  great if I could fill in the gap's.

Thank you again for your help and time everyone

Dorothy

Marj

« Reply #7 on: 10:58:41, 11/06/19 »

Hi Dorothy.

Frances Jones b.1891 The daughter of  William Hopwood Jones & Ellen T0mlinson.
Is your great grandmother.

Marj

« Last Edit: 11:07:03, 11/06/19 by Marj »

Dorothyl

« Reply #8 on: 11:41:29, 11/06/19 »
Hi again.
Thank you again for helping me out.

I was just wondering if anyone if at all possible.  Would be able to help me find out where my great gran Frances Jones was living  from 1939 -1967? 
 All I know is  at one time she was living with Mr Crossfield 59.Rusholme road cholton on Medlock. But apparently he passed away not sure when. And there's the place my mum told me about when I was around 2 years old. She took me to see her gran and it was easter time. And a bus ride. She did say her gran Frances Jones was living in sale.  So I should imagine the year would have been 1959.  From that year I have no idea where she moved to.
My mum began to help me with these as I was doing her family background. She told me so many things.  I couldn't keep up.  I never thought of taking paper and a pen with me to write it down.  But she wrote some members of her grans family down.  She did say she would write as much as she can remember and five her something to do to help me with.  But she didn't manage to do it she became poorly a few days before she passed away. 
Now all I have is memories of what she told me and trying to remember the ones she did tell me.

What's really upsetting for me is I can't go say mum what was it you said.like I use to.
I can only relye on my memory's. At the moment my memory isn't as good as it was 2 years ago.  It feels like my mind as gone completely blank.  And I get confused with everything. So I have to ask for help.

And thanks to this group  it helps me.

There is something else I want to see if I can find out.
But I'm not sure how to start it. I will do that one in a separate topic  so not to confuse  other's.  I don't know what part of the group to put it on tho.

It's trying to find out about my dad.  I know a lot about him but I can't seem to find his birth father or my dad's confirmation details. Like a certificate.  My half sister has a copy  but won't  let me have a copy of it. She says it's put away and can't get to it.

I will give as much information as I can about my dad. And hopefully  someone might be able to help me.

Thank you all again. You are amazing.
Thank you again
Dorothy

Butch43

« Reply #9 on: 13:21:45, 12/08/19 »
Hi Dorothy,

If you can get to a public library you will be able to look up the 1939 census using Find My Past. This is something that you would usually have to pay for at home, but libraries have a free-to-use version.  I realise that Hattersley took its first residents in the 1960s so there is more than 20 years between the two dates, but at least it's a start. You will need to join the library so take some ID with you.  They should enrol you there and then and you can get started.

Good luck,

Butch