Author Topic: Piccadilly  (Read 1634 times)

queally15

Piccadilly
« on: 15:36:11, 21/08/19 »
Does anyone remember the Gay Dolphin cafe on Piccadilly during the late 60's? They used to serve a dish called Vienna steak which was basically a hamburger and chips!! My friends and I used to go there mainly to ogle the dishy Greek waiters Chris and George!! We worked on Lena St at Sparrow Hardwick. They were really happy fun-filled times. The same owner a Mr Andrews owned the Expresso Bongo near Victoria Station.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Piccadilly
« Reply #1 on: 20:36:07, 21/08/19 »
Does anyone remember the Gay Dolphin cafe on Piccadilly during the late 60's? They used to serve a dish called Vienna steak which was basically a hamburger and chips!! My friends and I used to go there mainly to ogle the dishy Greek waiters Chris and George!! We worked on Lena St at Sparrow Hardwick. They were really happy fun-filled times. The same owner a Mr Andrews owned the Expresso Bongo near Victoria Station.

The Expresso Bongo is ringing a bell, wasn't it on Todd Street, when my father sold the cafeteria it was to a Chinese guy called Mr Lee, at one time it became a nightclub, owned by Chick - his son is a member on here.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

queally15

« Reply #2 on: 21:02:59, 21/08/19 »
I only remember the Bongo belonging to a Greek Cypriot called Mr Andrews. He also owned the Gay Dolphin on Piccadilly where the Piccadilly tavern is now. I used to have a major crush on his nephew Chris!! I was 16 /17 at the time. My friends and I used to frequent the cafe most lunchtimes. There was an Irish girl called Mary who also worked there.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 21:08:45, 21/08/19 »
I could have been meaning the Bossa Nova which was owned by Chick, but I remember the name Expresso Bongo, there will be members on here who will have been to both clubs.

queally15

« Reply #4 on: 21:10:56, 21/08/19 »
The Espresso was a cafe. I'm sure your Dad would have remembered it

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 21:16:36, 21/08/19 »
He definitely would have, I only know of it secondhand - he was always in town, his office was above the cafe, he would walk from there to the Kardomah or Meng and Ecker

queally15

« Reply #6 on: 21:22:55, 21/08/19 »
Kardomah I remember. Those were wonderful days. We didn't know how lucky we were. Fantastic music, no stress and a gentle way of life. I would hate to be a teenager now. It was a coffee scene then. I should have appreciated it more.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 21:33:06, 21/08/19 »
Well, the Kardomah is now a McDonalds and before that it was Ronnie Scotts

queally15

« Reply #8 on: 21:41:38, 21/08/19 »
Ronnie Scots I vaguely remember. McDonald's are everywhere. There were some great clubs also. The Twisted Wheel is still there. My friends and I when we got older went to the Bierkeller on Piccadilly. Now there a load of discount shops that don't last long. Piccadilly Gardens were beautiful, now they are a concrete eyesore.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 21:49:20, 21/08/19 »
Piccadilly Gardens has been ruined, 'Gardens' name is a joke, hardly any greenery and flowers aren't to be seen - there used to be gardeners so perhaps it was too costly to keep up and the council used costcutting to put concrete there, people getting off at Piccadilly Station see this eyesore - it could be a landmark instead there is the ugly stained wall ::)

queally15

« Reply #10 on: 22:09:24, 21/08/19 »
The Council has destroyed more money changing things. The people visiting Manchester now have no idea how Beautiful the gardens were. If they had left them alone it would have been the biggest attraction in Manchester. Market Street had a host of quirky shops. What they have done to the centre of Manchester is criminal. I'm so glad I was able to see Manchester for the Great City she was. Its still the Best, but the old days were second to none.