Author Topic: Beware of people who say they are working next door...  (Read 1341 times)

Peterimp

A gang of 3 guys, one of them says they are working next door but they have to do some work in your garden on the roots. They said they charged next door £1200, but they would only charge us £550 for cutting down part of our overgrown garden and remove our rubbish for us, including bags of plaster rubble and a pile of old weather-worn bricks.

They did come back and do some work, perhaps worth about £400, cutting down trees and taking away the bags of rubble, but they did not take away the bricks and left them in the blue bin, which we had to empty out ourselves. They said they had to hire 3 skips but there was no evidence of this and they appeared to take the rubble away and some cut down trees in their hatchback car. They then came back and asked for more money, which we got down to an extra £300 from them asking for £500 more.
 They were pretty insistent about the extra money.
I reckon we were overcharged, about double of the cost of the job.
They then disappeared.
So, the tactic starts with them saying they are working next door, which is probably not the case; then, they say they have to do work in your garden.

In the end, we sort of paid to get rid of them.
We did not actually ask them to do any work.
This is a warning.

St Chads Lad

Re: Beware of people who say they are working next door...
« Reply #1 on: 11:50:38, 31/08/19 »
Sorry to hear about your experience, those crooks are extortionists and belong in gaol, I wonder how scum like that sleep at night knowing that they've stolen money from trusting people like you, what happened to honest work for honest pay? I hope the law catches up with them.
   Thanks for the warning.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 12:13:25, 31/08/19 »
What St Chads said

Take their registration number of their truck if they come back again

>:( 

They prey on vulnerable people, usually pensioners, it's mainly pensioners whom one would believe after a lifetime experience would be the last people to be taken in :-\

« Last Edit: 12:17:27, 31/08/19 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 17:25:29, 31/08/19 »
What St Chads said

Take their registration number of their truck if they come back again

>:( 

They prey on vulnerable people, usually pensioners, it's mainly pensioners whom one would believe after a lifetime experience would be the last people to be taken in :-\
I think the sort of people who do this are the  type who do not register their vans and lorries the police won’t arrest them ,they probably Travel a lot ::)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 17:28:17, 31/08/19 »
Gotcha
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Peterimp

« Reply #5 on: 18:39:33, 11/10/20 »
A pair came round today, to try the same scam, with the story about the neighbour's roots, but this time I told them we would need legal advice before proceeding, and they could sue us in the small claims court, if they tried to charge us for any work. They disappeared.

lozflan

« Reply #6 on: 07:21:34, 12/10/20 »
You can easily get on a scam list without knowing,twice for me,buying a lottery ticket that featured in a flight magazine and again taking on a pre-used landline phone No.
In these Covid times there is surge of fake mobile calls and yesterday a message on PC  for HMRC tax rebate.      I should be so lucky,to pay any,ha.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason