Author Topic: Guildhall Street Moss Side  (Read 212 times)

Gazak

Guildhall Street Moss Side
« on: 01:16:28, 01/09/19 »
I am posting this on behalf of my wife who is Moss Side born and bred.

My wife's family are Asian, her father coming to the UK in 1957 initially to Birmingham then to Manchester in the mid 60s.

Recently we have discovered that my wife's grandfather came to Manchester with her uncle prior to her parents moving here but her grandfather sadly died in 1963 at the age of just 47.

As my wife knew nothing about this until recently we ordered the death certificate, which shows my wife's grandfather's address at his death in 1963 as number 13 Guildhall Street his name was Lal Khan.

The informant was my wife's uncle Sabbir who's address is shown as 9 Guildhall Street.

My wife grew up nearby on Broadfield Road and Monton Street but has only known it as it now.
Does anyone have any memories of Guildhall Street around 1963, and of any Asians arriving.
Any memories of numbers 9 and 13?
We are also trying to find out what happened to lady friend of my wife's uncle Sabbir who my wife remembers into the 1970s, they only know her as Ann Elizabeth but she was clearly a significant part of their lives from the 1960s as two of my wife's sisters have Ann and Elizabeth as middle names. We believe Ann Elizabeth may have worked in a nearby pub.
Finally do any pictures of Guildhall Street exist and when would it have been demolished?
Many Thanks.

Hideaway69

Re: Guildhall Street Moss Side
« Reply #1 on: 08:47:54, 04/09/19 »
Welcome to the Forum Gazak, Cannot find any images online of Guildhall Street,  it was located  in Greenheys near to Denmark Road , In 1963 a Mrs Elizabeth Chadwick (Grocer) lived at 13 Guildhall Street, could this be the Ann Elizabeth you mentioned ?. In 1963 there is no record of number 9 Guildhall Street, I imagine that Guildhall & surrounding streets would have been demolished in the early 1970s, many properties were demolished in order to extend the Scottish & Newcastle Brewery, hope this helps.
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

Gazak

Re: Guildhall Street Moss Side
« Reply #2 on: 11:14:51, 04/09/19 »
Thank you for that, as my father in law did say his father in law and brother in lawlived above a shop when he himself came to Moss Side in 1966.