Author Topic: Manchester's first park  (Read 1010 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Manchester's first park
« on: 14:59:00, 08/10/19 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49973907

Plans to create Manchester's first public park for more than 90 years have been submitted to the city council.

Mayfield Park is proposed for a site on the banks of the River Medlock, close to Piccadilly station in the city centre.

The 6.5-acre (26,000 sq m) public space is part of a £1.4bn plan to regenerate a run-down area south of Fairfield Street with hundreds of new homes.

Work is expected to start in 2020 and will take up to 15 years to complete.

« Last Edit: 15:02:46, 08/10/19 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

Re: Manchester's first park
« Reply #1 on: 18:43:45, 08/10/19 »
I would really like to have a positive reaction to the plan, however I fear that within months of opening this area will become overrun with anti-social behaviour, druggies, prostitution, muggings, rough sleepers, you name it, making the place a no go area.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 18:47:37, 08/10/19 »
High railings round it and locked before it gets dark with a warden patrol would help

St Chads Lad

« Reply #3 on: 20:26:27, 19/10/19 »
Further details of said park in the MEN, concerns over anti social behaviour, what to do about prostitution, which the area is known for at present, crime in general, will the residents of the new properties have to pay a service charge for the parks upkeep, concerns about public gatherings, e.g. meetings and demos, would they disrupt the lives of the residents and concerns that the dregs of Piccadilly will be drawn to it.
The limp dum candidate for the area is insistent that access to the park must be 24/7 for all citizens pretty much making crime prevention a tall order.  :-\

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 20:38:01, 19/10/19 »
If there is cctv on, catching every person who enters and leaves the park and they are later identified publicly this will have a huge impact on preventing most offences - their families aren't going to be pleased seeing their dear ones' faces displayed in the newspapers.

Wardens are necessary to prevent vandalism and uncivil behaviour - it would cost a lot but individually the cost would be worth it.

24/7 not viable - gates locked before dusk imo

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 20:41:48, 19/10/19 »
The thing is CCTV is useless for preventing crime because the crime is already being committed when recorded it is though handy to find out who did the crime

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 20:49:33, 19/10/19 »
Perhaps one day cctv will be linked to a technology whereby if the crime is committed the gates will be locked automatically.....not holding my breath though

St Chads Lad

« Reply #7 on: 20:56:36, 19/10/19 »
It's a sad reflection on the type of society we've become that plans such as this that should be welcomed throw up such concerns,  I wonder if the City fathers had to consider such matters when some of the once lovely parks around Manchester were established,  or do you think the people were glad to have them to appreciate, I fear this new one will become 'gang turf' and people will shy away.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 21:06:07, 19/10/19 »
What would the future hold if that was to happen? - my solution is robots,  close up and personal  :D

Japan is using robots atm and they are the future,  maybe we should be playing 'catch-up' a bit faster and see what other countries are doing :-\