Author Topic: The Wheatsheaf Pub, Manchester  (Read 1997 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
The Wheatsheaf Pub, Manchester
« on: 15:34:38, 29/12/19 »
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQrZoYP6dpz55C6yMTOguA27j5cJg%3A1577619697170&source=hp&ei=8ZAIXruNCP2ZjLsP_N2gwAo&q=the+wheatsheaf+pub+manchester&oq=

I'm informed the original owners had a daughter named Isabel, I wondered if she took over the running of her parents' pub,  she was a huge John Lennon fan and they visited the pub.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

rob

Re: The Wheatsheaf Pub, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: 14:15:46, 04/01/20 »
Hi Celeste I did know an Isabel, pretty, with long blond hair, around the beatles era and she was a big John Lennon fan. Not sure whether it was George? the father, who had the Wheatsheath pub at that time, but his brother I think was the landlord of The Blackstock Pub in C-on M on upper brook street, at the same time. Brant was the 2nd name I was a friend of Ian the son, and that was how I met Isabel, who would have been his cousin, when she visited at The Blackstock. Ian's mother was also called Isabel I am trying to stretch the brain now, this would have been around 1962, I was around 16 then. I now think that young Isabel's surname was Sheilds?   Cheers Rob

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 14:30:46, 04/01/20 »
That's the one, I worked at Manchester Airport and knew her best friend Lynda H.  (won't put her full name)

Thanks so much :)

rob

« Reply #3 on: 14:50:50, 04/01/20 »
Great, the John Lennon part, made me think it was her. I didn't know her friend. I tried to impress Isabel , by wearing my beatles suit ha. My father said I looked like I worked on the railways when I put it on, it had silver buttons I think. Saw The Beatles at Middleton Town Hall. :) Rob

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 15:17:12, 04/01/20 »
I didn't know Middleton had a venue,  only went there once to a shopping mall, shall go again, I was amazed to see a bus in Sale Moor with Middleton as the destination, not seen one since.

I think Lynda showed us all a photo of Isabel once, very pretty and with long blonde wavy hair - you missed out there ;D

rob

« Reply #5 on: 15:48:09, 04/01/20 »
It was the middleton town hall itself where the Beatles were on, and myself, Ian from the Blackstock and Les my friend, were on the photo in the local paper, of us staring up at the stage.I have the photo somewhere.
You mention sale moor , worked and lived on Norris road in the late 60's early 70's, before leaving and heading to Australia in 74.
Yes Isabel was a good looking girl, and we did have a code at a party when playing the old Postman's knock game Ha. So maybe the beatles suit worked a bit Ha. Even though it was fairly innocent. Rob :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 09:34:40, 09/01/20 »
If you can find the photo put it on the forum, some of your old mates may see it - even Isabel O0

rob

« Reply #7 on: 12:29:48, 09/01/20 »
Hi Celeste will try and upload it ,in a folder somewhere. Rob

rob

« Reply #8 on: 13:07:48, 09/01/20 »
This is a zoomed in image of Ian B who was Isabel's cousin, I think that is me behind him. The photo was at the Middleton Co-op Hall. This was the Beatles concert in April 11, 1963.

rob

« Reply #9 on: 13:09:46, 09/01/20 »
This is the full page off Google - Middleton Beatles 1963. https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/concert/1963-04-11/

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 13:17:22, 09/01/20 »
Well done, you do resemble my favourite George Harrison, have you still got that nice hair?  ;)

rob

« Reply #11 on: 13:31:37, 09/01/20 »
Ha I wish. Used to have thick black curly hair, and was hard to have a beatle cut with curly hair, but I did try. Most visits to the barber ,I would ask for a Tony Curtis cut. Still got hair, but visits to the barber just makes my forehead get bigger. 8)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 13:36:39, 09/01/20 »
 ;D