Author Topic: Memories of Blackley British Legion  (Read 792 times)

claretwoman

Memories of Blackley British Legion
« on: 19:06:29, 19/02/20 »
Just been talking to my dad about the origins of this now sadly defunct club.  He reminisced about immediately post WWII they were looking for a building and found a Canadian timber building in Cheshire , unfortunately the price of £2000 was a bit much but after various fund raising events in the locality they got the money together, they were able to sell the spring floor and various catering equipment inside the building and recoup the money before resurrecting the building on Victoria Avenue.  Some time later they managed to interest a brewery in building a more permanent structure, this wasn’t easy on land known locally as the Sandhills, but after lots of pile driving, he thinks the brewery may have been from the Blackpool area, but can’t be sure, anyway they certainly got their money back over the years, sadly now no use of this building appears to be in view, interesting how life has moved on as others on this forum have commented, families are now far likely to go out together rather than mum and dad going to the club at weekends, but an interesting look at the past, and the enthusiasm of ex. Servicemen postwar to form a local branch of the “Legion”.  I doubt many of the original members are still alive now.

St Chads Lad

Re: Memories of Blackley British Legion
« Reply #1 on: 20:21:09, 19/02/20 »
A report in the M.E.N. a few weeks ago said that there were plans to demolish it, and part of the community centre next door, in order to build council houses on the land. As stated it's a shame, my late father in law was a member at Belle Vue legion, had many a pint in there with him, and my dear wife of course.  :)