Author Topic: Statue removed from Dunham Massey  (Read 297 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Statue removed from Dunham Massey
« on: 10:17:02, 12/06/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53011156

A "degrading" statue of a black man has been removed from the grounds of a National Trust-owned stately home.
Workers removed the figure holding a sundial in front of Dunham Massey Hall, near Altrincham in Greater Manchester.
The National Trust said the caricature, believed to be almost 300 years old, "caused distress because of the way it depicts a black person".

It follows recent Black Lives Matter protests and toppling of a statue to slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol.
The Dunham Massey Hall statue is a life-size lead figure of a kneeling man holding a horizontal sundial above his head and wearing a feathered skirt.
Sculptor Andries Carpentier is thought to have created the statue - which was situated at the front of the Grade I listed hall - and it may have been one of a series representing the continents, said the trust.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Statue removed from Dunham Massey
« Reply #1 on: 10:27:21, 12/06/20 »
 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53011774

A statue of the Jamaican poet, playwright and actor Alfred Fagon has been doused with a bleach-like substance.
The monument in St Pauls, Bristol was erected in 1987 on the first anniversary of his death.
Mr Fagon was the first black person to have a statue erected in their honour in the city.
It is thought the attack happened overnight between Tuesday and Wednesday and was reported to police on Thursday.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 10:31:16, 12/06/20 »
I'd say they should be in museums and places where they would be relevant.

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 11:39:50, 12/06/20 »
If I was ever famous I really wouldn’t want to have a statue in honour of me , maybe a street name or perhaps a park ,that’s it parky park,

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 11:55:38, 12/06/20 »
 O0  I reckon that wold be a brilliant place.  ;D

St Chads Lad

« Reply #5 on: 18:29:48, 12/06/20 »
Just expanding the thread a little off-topic a bit:-

Graffiti calling Robert the Bruce a “racist king” and calling for his statue to be removed has been sprayed on the statue at the site of the Battle of Bannockburn. The hitherto Black Lives Matter supporting SNP are now outraged at the defiling of their icon, the king who led Scotland during the First War of Scottish Independence against England. This is act of vandalism stirs strong emotions in any patriotic Scot. Sadly left-wing SNP supporters struck a very different attitude when it was Churchill getting defiled…

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 19:09:25, 12/06/20 »
Should I go to Italy and protest about the Romans making the Brits subservient,  and to Normandy, France and protest about William the Conqueror.

It's losing its impact and will cause resentment in the long run,  we can't change history but we can leave it where it belongs and make a
better 'legacy' for the future.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #7 on: 20:04:31, 12/06/20 »
  What about the hymn 'Amazing Grace,' it was written by John Newton who before becoming an Anglican minister was involved in the the slave trade, I believe it is a popular hymn, but will will the Arch Bishwoke of Canterbury now urge his flock to disown it?  :-\

lozflan

« Reply #8 on: 12:06:28, 13/06/20 »
The glory of the Roman Empire to the shame of the British Empire. [long gone]
How many centuries will pass till we get some recognition of the good things,rail roads universities law political representation system.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

St Chads Lad

« Reply #9 on: 18:29:18, 14/06/20 »
We are in the ludicrous situation now where the Daily Fail are running a petition  to make sure the PM does not remove Winston Churchill's statue from the centre of London, I'm starting to think Johnson may not be around much longer as it's clear to me the levers of power are controlled by the left.