Author Topic: Jacksons Brick Works Levenshulme  (Read 1847 times)

Wayne1

Jacksons Brick Works Levenshulme
« on: 13:33:43, 01/07/20 »
Hello Folks. I’m new to the Forum but it looks like an interesting place to reminisce on old times. Just a query if anyone on here remembers the old Brick Works In Levenshulme in the 1960’s. Nearby was the Jacksons Clay Pit where they got the clay for the Bricks. I’m actually trying to locate any of there stamped bricks with the inscription J and AJ on them. A shot in the dark I know lol. Thanks....

Parky

Re: Jacksons Brick Works Levenshulme
« Reply #1 on: 15:03:52, 01/07/20 »
Hi Wayne , there was also a Jackson’s brick works in newton heath

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 15:26:29, 01/07/20 »
Yes I was looking into it and they had around 8 in all 👍

lozflan

« Reply #3 on: 06:50:11, 02/07/20 »
Hi ,Wayne 1,are you a brick collector?.
I worked for William Higgins @Sons,they did'nt stamp their brick but also made Salamander's which I think was trademarked.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 09:07:12, 02/07/20 »
Hello Lozflan. Thanks for your reply. No I’m not a collector but I lived not far away from the Jacksons Brick Works in Longsight in the 1960’s. We used to play on the Claypit there and have happy memories of the place. I’m actually after a couple of the said Bricks as a reminder of my younger days.
Where was your Factory in Manchester? I do realize my quest to find any of these is going to be a Miracle.

lozflan

« Reply #5 on: 09:31:36, 02/07/20 »
Wayne1,I was thinking,a collector or building an extension,haha.
Higgins bricks had afactory in Broughton St and North St,both in Cheetham,the latter worked the clay pit which became known as "Barneys". That I think was shared with Jackson's.
When all the clay was worked out,Higgins moved to Risley/Culcheth. I worked in all 3.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 14:54:13, 02/07/20 »
Hello Lozflan. That’s really interesting and I bet you could tell some stories of the days you worked there. In those days you really would of worked for your money. Until recently I never imagined there was so many manufacturers of bricks. I was born and brought up in Longsight and then moved to Edgeley in Stockport in my early 20’s. I now live on the Isle of Man and have done for the past 20 years. I get back to Manchester now and again as I have family there. I don’t really miss it though as it’s changed so much in my opinion and certainly not for the better.

PhilShatliff

« Reply #7 on: 13:17:30, 14/07/21 »
Hi Lozfans.

When did you work at Higgins North Street?

I'm with my dad who worked there 1952 - 54 and 1958 to mid sixties. He met my mum there she worked jn the office.

Wayne1,I was thinking,a collector or building an extension,haha.
Higgins bricks had afactory in Broughton St and North St,both in Cheetham,the latter worked the clay pit which became known as "Barneys". That I think was shared with Jackson's.
When all the clay was worked out,Higgins moved to Risley/Culcheth. I worked in all 3.

lozflan

« Reply #8 on: 08:51:03, 15/07/21 »
Hi,Phil,our family's lived as near neighbours,tried to PM you but it didn't work. Ask Celeste.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 09:21:49, 15/07/21 »
I don't know why you can't pm Phil,  perhaps if Phil sent you a pm and then you could use the 'quote' facility to reply. O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

PhilShatliff

« Reply #10 on: 11:00:15, 15/07/21 »
Pm not working for me either.

Happy for you to contact me philshatliff @ aol.com or 07899983544

Phil

I don't know why you can't pm Phil,  perhaps if Phil sent you a pm and then you could use the 'quote' facility to reply. O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 11:11:00, 15/07/21 »
I tried to send Phil a pm and got this -  User 'PhilShatliff' can not receive personal messages.

I think Phil has to make at least ten posts before he can send a pm

Phil, get on the games section ;)

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing