Author Topic: Housing  (Read 1496 times)

lozflan

Housing
« on: 09:02:25, 19/08/20 »
Manctopia BBC 2 prog, compare the treatment of a working mother ,turfed out of rented home ,along with kids. At 2 weeks notice?.
To that of 4 star hotel migrants. [no the prog.did'nt.]
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

St Chads Lad

Re: Housing
« Reply #1 on: 09:19:32, 19/08/20 »
Manctopia BBC 2 prog, compare the treatment of a working mother ,turfed out of rented home ,along with kids. At 2 weeks notice?.
To that of 4 star hotel migrants. [no the prog.did'nt.]
  I watched it too, I commented to my Mrs about how in the face of being evicted at what seemed to be around Christmas time with two children that that lady showed a tremendous amount of dignity, and was delighted she found a secure home for her family albeit a two bedroom flat, also watching the part about the development in the City centre it's not hard to see what's going on, £1.4m apartments, £8,000 a month rents? Burnham and his lap dog developer going on about the homeless, how does overpriced property help the homeless?  :-\

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 11:23:22, 19/08/20 »
I thought the government had promised that evictions were to be suspended until the virus had been eliminated.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

lozflan

« Reply #3 on: 12:16:24, 19/08/20 »
Filmed just before covid I would think.  A temporary halt wont make it go away.
It happened to one of my families,thats what you sign up for when private renting.
Iwould have thought eviction was for doing something wrong like non payment of rent,but payment does not mean security.The landlord just wants his property back,maybe to sell.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 12:57:05, 19/08/20 »
My daughter and son-in-law are in the same position at present, after seven years in the property, they have done work on it, I've decorated it from top to bottom, inside and out, they've carpeted it and during lockdown have kept the rent up to date even though she was out of work for three months due to Chinese lurgy restrictions, now the agent informs them that the owner "may" want to sell thereby unsettling them.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 13:14:43, 19/08/20 »
If he needs to sell then he's quids in as the tenants have made the house increase in value,  but if he wants to up the rent due to this he takes the risk of getting bad tenants who may wreck the place

Parky

« Reply #6 on: 14:05:33, 19/08/20 »
My daughter and son-in-law are in the same position at present, after seven years in the property, they have done work on it, I've decorated it from top to bottom, inside and out, they've carpeted it and during lockdown have kept the rent up to date even though she was out of work for three months due to Chinese lurgy restrictions, now the agent informs them that the owner "may" want to sell thereby unsettling them.
It’s just happened to a family over the rd from me they now have four weeks To leave ,For every house to rent that comes up there are a hundred applicants for it , I thought the property developer Had quite good free publicity

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 18:14:31, 19/08/20 »

Scl, Don’t know where my quote went , however there is a family over the road from me in exactly  the same situation ,it’s heart breaking

St Chads Lad

« Reply #8 on: 18:43:28, 19/08/20 »
Scl, Don’t know where my quote went , however there is a family over the road from me in exactly  the same situation ,it’s heart breaking
   :)  It's OK mate, I saw your comment in your original post, it was incorporated into the 'quote', yes it's frustrating for them because she has her little lads name down to start at the local school and she loves living near us, she's lived in the area all her life, hopefully they can relocate within the area, fingers crossed.
. Thanks for the response.  :)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #9 on: 17:41:02, 26/08/20 »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8662697/Documentary-reveals-man-left-homeless-Manchester-losing-flat-brother-died.html

Watched this last night, it's pretty obvious that Manchester City Centre is undergoing 'gentrification', and the much touted Northern gateway won't be any better.
. But on the bright side Aintree Andy got to hang out with some footballers.

Parky

« Reply #10 on: 18:40:57, 26/08/20 »
Yes I saw it as well , I thought the lady put that university bloke in his place when he was railing about Some of the Builds ,she quite rightly told him some of the areas were blighted before homes were newly built

St Chads Lad

« Reply #11 on: 19:51:17, 26/08/20 »
Yes she did, now she faces losing her home so new ones that she probably won't be able to afford can be built, and as for the property developer in the programme, I saw a video on YouTube featuring a guy that had ownedca knitting business in the Crusader mill that he's developing, he wasn't impressed with his Company's 'tactics' and lack of support from anyone when he had to move to smaller premises.

Parky

« Reply #12 on: 20:33:54, 26/08/20 »
She was Rightly upset that her home was at risk because There was nothing wrong with her estate , but she did welcome the regeneration ( not particularly the high rise build) , that was built on derelict Parts of ancoats and miles platting , I do agree with you about the developer ,

lozflan

« Reply #13 on: 07:48:45, 27/08/20 »
Some of the Manctopia prog .about the hostel lockout was also mentioned on the Angel Meadow social group site for the last 2 yrs..
Plus the disruption and noise of builders the local residents had to put up with.
The group apeal each year for voluntary help cleaning up the park[Meadow].
Idont recall much help from Andy,but the Manchester Coop nearby turn out,God bless them.
Some of the group claim relatives living there back in the time of Engels.
« Last Edit: 07:52:02, 27/08/20 by lozflan »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 09:40:35, 28/08/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53941058

The government is being urged to provide emergency financial help to tenants in England who have fallen into arrears due to coronavirus.
Housing charities and groups representing landlords and letting agents are calling for loans and grants for those struggling to pay rent.
New research on behalf of Shelter suggests 322,000 people have fallen behind since the outbreak in March.
The government said it had taken "unprecedented action" to help renters.

What are the rules around evictions?

Welsh government launches rent arrears loans
Renters struggle most with pandemic costs, says report
Six organisations - including Shelter, Crisis and Citizens Advice - have joined forces to call for short-term financial aid for renters.
The groups say £270m is needed to help tenants keep their homes and assist landlords who rely on rental income for their livelihoods.
They are proposing grants for renters already claiming government benefits, which would be distributed by local authorities.
And they say interest free loans should be made available for tenants who can afford to pay them back over time.