Author Topic: Eccles Cakes and William BRADBURN before James Bradburn  (Read 88 times)

Brenda Brooks

Some of the information you have here and in the Eccles history society about the Bradburns and Eccles cakes is incorrect.
I was brought up in Flixton  by my grandmother, who was born in Eccles in 1877.  She wrote many historical details about the family and also took me to the graveyards including, St Mary's and St Catherine's and the Eccles Cake Shop. About 25 years ago I went to the museum at Salford and checked many details on the micro reels and also went to Central Library to look at church records.
Around 2007 , unable to return to the Manchester area  as I live in South Devon, I started to do more research,  putting my family tree on line.
 My GGG-grandfather born in 1766 who married Ann Mee a farmer's of Barton upon Irwell.  Their eldest daughter Elizabeth married William Bradburn who took over the Eccles cake shop.  He was the apprentice to James Birch and James Bradburn was William's son who was still a child in the 1830's and  they were living at the shop in the 1831 and 1841 census. Between 1851 and 1861 James took over the shop.  The shop originally also carried the name Roberts ( William's father-in-law ) on a sign.
I will end by stating again everything my grandmother told me, I have been able to research and it is all there to be found.
  Brenda Brooks.