Author Topic: Will progress make or break this council estate?  (Read 681 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-

BBC / Minnow Films / Nick Mattingly

Anne Worthington fears her house could be demolished
Manchester is one of the fastest-growing places in the UK. But as new and younger generations make this city their home, some older residents feel they are being forced to give up theirs - in the name of progress.
Anne Worthington is indecisive about planting daffodils in this year. She's also worried - not so much about the flowers - but about the future.
In autumn 2018, she received a letter suggesting her home on the South Collyhurst estate, on the edge of the city centre, might be under threat to make way for thousands of new homes.
Her neighbours also received the same information and they are concerned some of their houses - and their community - could be demolished. But they have no idea when - hence Anne's daffodils dilemma.
"I want to know their intentions regarding houses that are only 50 years old," says Anne looking at the plans. "We are part of our history. We are 1970s classic housing. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'll tell you what: it's my cup of tea, I love it," she explains.

A multi-million-pound regeneration project, called the Northern Gateway Development, could be about to change Anne's community forever.
Stretching one-and-a-half miles from the edge of the city centre to the far end of the Collyhurst area in the north-east, the Northern Gateway has been described as the equivalent of a new town the size of Lancaster being built on to the side of Manchester city centre.
A joint venture between the City Council and private developer Far East Consortium (FEC), the scheme is set to build 15,000 new homes by 2038, 20% of which are outlined as affordable. The Northern Gateway aims to deliver better transport links, as well as space for new businesses, shops, facilities for health, education and public spaces.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

Re: Will progress make or break this council estate?
« Reply #1 on: 11:28:26, 08/09/20 »
There's nowt down for ordinary folk in the Northern Gateway, like New Islington these areas are for a new Metropolitan professional type, last week on the BBC programme 'Manctopia' the property developer employed by Burnham to help with homelessness said he wasn't under any obligation to build affordable homes.

Parky

« Reply #2 on: 12:11:10, 08/09/20 »
Just further down the road on shudehill the lower Turks head pub has closed and the asking price is two and a half million quid  :o

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 12:11:34, 08/09/20 »
There's nowt down for ordinary folk in the Northern Gateway, like New Islington these areas are for a new Metropolitan professional type, last week on the BBC programme 'Manctopia' the property developer employed by Burnham to help with homelessness said he wasn't under any obligation to build affordable homes.

Wait for the crash

lozflan

« Reply #4 on: 12:14:09, 08/09/20 »
Ann's  views and comment was shown on 2nd Manctopia prog.
Some of my family lived in the flats,predating Ann's housing. How many were shoved out then and where to ?.
I think that Northern Quarter had some mention of a new river walk. [Irk?]
Can't get my head around that.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason