Author Topic: Shirley Bassey - Cabaret Club, Oxford Road, c.1968/69?  (Read 701 times)

KateHurst

I wonder whether any of your readers can offer any help with an entertainment puzzle? I am an historical researcher, currently trying to help the former Sheila Worth (a xylophonist) to document her career in the 1950s and 1960s. She advises me that she performed at the Cabaret Club on Oxford Road, in late 1967/1968 on the same bill as Shirley Bassey, and the Peter Marsh Trio (one of whom was an organist).[/font]

[/font]
I am currently working through relevent online editions of The Stage to try to pin down the exact date. So far, I cannot find any evidence that the performance took place between 5 October and 9 November 1967, or between 20 December 1967 and 4 January 1968. [/font]

[/font]
Any memories that anyone might have of seeing those acts that night, information about likely performance dates or what became of the Peter Marsh Trio that they are happy for me to forward to Sheila would be much appreciated. [/font]

Simonsky

Re: Shirley Bassey - Cabaret Club, Oxford Road, c.1968/69?
« Reply #1 on: 20:51:46, 25/09/20 »
Just looked up Sheila Worth and came across this picture on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/basilisksam/37931014552/in/photostream/

The poster reckons that she's playing a marimba a sort of deeper xylophone.  I imagine you've already seen this.  Sorry I can't help with any information you seek, I was only seven at the time! Others using this site might be able to help.

KateHurst

« Reply #2 on: 00:00:53, 26/09/20 »
Actually, I hadn't seen that photo (which is surprising, considering how many variants I've been putting into search engines), so thank you for that; it is really appreciated.

I'm not very musical, myself, so had no idea that a marimba looked like that!

Bilfox

« Reply #3 on: 11:53:37, 26/09/20 »
Hello Katehurst I used to go to the Cabaret Club round about the dates you mention and although I don't remember Shirley Bassey appearing there it doesn't surprise me that she did.I was in there with a mate round about 1969 when the stage started filling with about a dozen musicians who turned out to be The Edwin Hawkins Singers who I believe were at No 1 at the time with "Oh Happy Days" I believe it was 2/6 to get in (Twelve and half pence) and they put on a great show so money well spent.