Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174832 times)

Mandy

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #165 on: 23:44:51, 11/02/14 »

Hello

My name was Mandy Fairhurst ( Now Smith ) and I attended Central High for Girls 1975 - 1979 and lived in Gorton.

[size=78%]I can not remember alot of the teachers names except for Mrs Wilde - I was often asked to attend her office with a few of my friends, not  for praise but to line up with our hands behind our backs - in trouble again.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]I remember the science lab on the top floor with the test mice/gerbils. I spent many a hour feeding them and cleaning the cages. The was 1 gerbil with half a tail called Tammy. I also remember ranning down the stairs to get into the dinner line or to the basement clockroom for our coats at hometime.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]I came in to school every day by the bus with my best friend Debi Slate who lived across the road in Willow Grove, Gorton[/size].

[size=78%]The one name I do remember was a friend in the school called Paulette Cooper from Ardwick. Please forgive me but I am not good with named these days but do remember having a wonderful time during my years at this school, the uniform and the little sweet shop facing the fire station we visited every morning on the way into school and again on the way home each day.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]I left the school to move to Wrexham, North Wales due to my dad relocating with his job.[/size]

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. Happy Times.
[size=78%]  [/size]
Regards
Mandy Fairhurst

kiwiuk

« Reply #166 on: 06:00:45, 09/03/14 »
hi my name is Rabina . I went to MCHG 1968-73. I would love to get in touch with Alicia Pemberton

Hi Rabina,
I was in the same year as you and Alicia Pemberton (plus Yvonne Hampson nee Roche) - who has posted on this forum.  Are you on Facebook ? There's probably a class photo of you both on Facebook page for Central High School for Girls (Manchester).  I was Pamela Reeves, I am also in touch with Carol Curran. Alvena Smalley, Liz Weir, Janice Rich, Karan Evans, Talat Mohammed...... 8) [size=78%] to name a few[/size]

PAULA MEEHAN

« Reply #167 on: 23:50:00, 09/03/14 »
Hi Mandy, My name was Paula Meehan , i also lived in Gorton and got the bus with Paulette Cooper (coloured  girl ) she lived off Bennett St in west Gorton, i lived near Belle vue , i don't remember you but you may remember me, i had long blonde hair and very ' naughty ' , do you remember Hayley Love, she was Paulette side kick !!!
I do remember the science lab on the top floor with the music room ' onward christian soldiers ' , what was the name of the science teacher he had a bold head ????
I too was always in Mrs Wilde office , she was nicked named ironside , i wish i known then what i know now and i would of got on with my education instead of being the class clown !!!
I now live in Cheshire do you still live in Wales ?
Regards
Paula

BShuffy

« Reply #168 on: 15:16:20, 25/04/14 »
Just found this page and loved reading through all the comments.  I attended 1962-1967 and have fond memories (even though I couldn't wait to leave!).  I didn't realise it at the time, but Central gave me a very good education which helped me in my life, despite making silly mistakes that you only realise in hindsight and with age!

I attended a reunion several years ago at Manchester Airport but was sad to find I was the only ex pupil from the 'E' stream.  Fortunately, I met up with Janet Whitely who started in 1E but then went into 2D.  Janet is still in touch with quite a few girls from the 'D' stream and I am invited to their 'get-togethers', one of which included a nostalgic trip around the old school.
Madam Defarge - I remember the twins.  One set was Mavis & Norma Moss and the unidentical ones were Alison & Margaret (can't remember their surname).

Miss Powell was the teacher that influenced me most - I was terrified of her, but she brought history lessons to life!  Mrs Huddart (deputy head) was responsible for my decline in French as we had her for 3 years and she rarely attended lessons as she was busy doing deputy head matters.  My own fault, of course, - I COULD have spent the time learning vocabulary instead of chatting!  I had Miss Ainsworth in the first year and that started my love of French.

I, too, remember going to see 'How the West was Won' and several trips to Central Library theatre to see productions - this instigated my love of English Literature.

I was Barbara Goldie and left (regrettably, now) in 1967 just as the school changed to Comprehensive.

pforb

« Reply #169 on: 07:04:10, 05/06/14 »
I think I've found this forum pretty late, but I have just had some great memories come to life. I attended central for girls from about 1979- until the 80's when it became shena simon college, which I attended also. I remember miss burgess, and most of the the teachers mentioned by one of the ladies on here. chemistry was on the 6th floor, and the bathrooms on the ground floor, the big gate and our coats down there. we wore grey uniform and the yellow blouse, the flowery dresses were available then too. very sorry to read about miss thompson. anyone remember susan bottomley, janet oakes, donna reid, pamela forbes, gillian davidson, lorraine moore? anne ashton in my year, I remember miss kay she taught us english, and mrs mulligan that taught chemistry. :D great to hear from anyone.

owen58

« Reply #170 on: 19:44:12, 24/07/14 »
I attended Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth Street) between 1969 - 1974. I loved every minute of that time and was very sad to leave. I also left Manchester shortly after and have not seen some old friends for almost 40 years.

Pamela Dixon
Elaine Shepherd
Debra Pearson
Laura Plant
Margo Vaughan
Sunita Sharma
Karen Newton
Karen McCall
Donna Havaland
Ann Brunt
Pauline Crook
Bunmi Alemoru

Would love to hear from any of you

where are you now, my name was Karen Cope

Claireabell

« Reply #171 on: 22:30:24, 02/12/14 »
Hi there!
I see that nobody has posted on here for 120 days, and I'm new to this!
I'm trying to find out info as a surprise for my Mum who I think attended Central High from 1956- approx. 1963. Her name is Pauline (was) 'Screwy' Scrouther.
I have a photo album with a few pics in it. She's named some of her friends:
Pat Charnley
Brenda Needham
Pat Tyler
Susan Williams
Cecilia Cohen
Penelope Evenson
Karen Brundrit
and Lorraine Rigby.

Does anyone know any of these ladies?
And can anyone tell me anything that I can put in a special scrapbook I'm trying to put together for my Mum? I have tried to find old pics of the school on the internet, but can only find one of the outside. I would so much appreciate anyone's help.

Thank you! Claire  :D :D

rosemary54

« Reply #172 on: 09:54:52, 03/12/14 »
Sorry before my time,hope you find some old girls

etna

« Reply #173 on: 21:23:24, 10/12/14 »
Hi everyone  out there would love to here from anyone who  remembers me  my name was helen valentine  would love to hear from lynn harris  janet harrison megan stringer brenda mccloed especially hope to hear soon x

arty

« Reply #174 on: 09:39:52, 11/12/14 »
Hi everyone it's been a couple of years since I last read the posts about Central. I love to hear about the building, I seem to remember stone steps and lots of them. I vividly remember some fuss going on and there being a threat to remove the toilet doors, can't remember why but I was horrified at the thought......it didn't happen. Uniform was very strict and I was always being called up to the front by the form teacher to see whether my tights were actually the regulation 60 denier. There also seemed to be a lot of checks to see if those velour hats had a crease down the middle from being folded...mine did. Enjoyed the choir and the late night rehearsals, really wish I had a copy of the LP that was made one year. Bernadette Huddleston and Frances Turner were friends in senior school, though I remember a lot of other names. Carol Royle O0 

joant2574

« Reply #175 on: 17:33:16, 05/02/15 »
I went to Manchester Central 1966 to 1971. Miss Manners was my head when I started, but I think Mrs Wilde took over. I don't remember her having a replacement hip though.I remember Miss Smith. She was my french teacher too. Lovely sense of humour, but a bit scarey until you got used to her. She used to make girls take their "war paint" off ( nail varnish and make-up). I also remember Miss Downs, the geography teacher. Tall woman who wore a lot of perfume. She used to go on holidays to Africa and show us her slides. These were the days when foreign holidays were just beginning...and mainly to Europe. Africa was out of this world.  Deirdre (nee Hall).
[/quote
Hi! I went to central grammar school between 1966 to 1970, and I remember Miss Manners really well! But now RIP, she passed on not that long ago! My form teachers were 1st year, was Mrs Seed, 2nd year can't remember! 3rd year was Mrs Millard and final year was Mr Rees. I left when I was 15, due to my mothers rules (I had no say!!)but I will never forget Central! My friends were Alison Cooper (from oldwoodv), Paula Evans (also oldwood) Ann Mitchell, Jill Deakin. Does anyone remember me (Joan Fletcher)

Lindap

« Reply #176 on: 18:43:09, 20/03/15 »
LesW and Littleann. I, also was at Central 1958-1963. I was in 1A with Mrs. Rumsey, then 2G with ( I think) Miss Roberts, then 3 Alpha with Miss Armour, 4 Alpha ( can't remember who with) and 5 Alpha with Mr.Turner. I remember the body in the canal and the Odeon trip to Henry V, also the annual school exodus to " Speech Day" at the Free Trade Hall. Also, many a happy lazy Summer's afternoon, making daisy chains and chatting at the "Games Field", after having been caught out at rounders! Most of the time, I loved school and can't believe it's nearly 52 years ago, since we left! Think we were so lucky to have received such an excellent education.

Tom Murray

« Reply #177 on: 19:37:57, 25/04/15 »
I believe my older sister Nora Murray went to this school in the late 40's early 50's. She was 11 years older than me

Verna Riding

« Reply #178 on: 23:30:02, 10/06/15 »
I attended Manchester Central High School from 1947 - 1951 (leaving a year early) and although  it is a very long time ago I remember  my time there very well . Miss McWhirter for the Head Mistress then and Miss Lester was the Senior Mistress. Miss Clarke taught French, Miss Land - Domestic Science, Miss Pilkington Geography,  Miss Hornby-- History, Mrs Hetherington Maths (Iwas scared to death of her but she got the message across) Miss Barber taught Music Miss Gitsom - Physics -  these are to name but a few.  Now the question I need answering is - I  know that I had to pass my Scholarship to attend there and I have always been under the impression that Whitworth Street was a Grammar School but I have recently been informed that it never was - can anyone help.This will settle a  hugh argument

rosemary54

« Reply #179 on: 08:36:59, 11/06/15 »
hi,it was a grammar school until 1966 when it sadly went comprehensive much to the disgust of Miss Manners who quite rightly said it was too small(about 850 pupils)I was in the last year to take the 11 plus.Miss Land was my form teacher for the first two years,we did not like her much and were very upset to find we had her in the second year!