Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174746 times)

LorraineS

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #195 on: 22:01:36, 27/09/16 »
Anyone take part in the summer trip to Switzerland with Mr Drain and Miss Edmundson? What a trip for the time, only to be appreciated in later life.

Howtit

« Reply #196 on: 22:50:24, 27/09/16 »
Did we go to Lake Lucerne on the train from Manchester.Then the sleeper through France? If so then yes I remember it.Was Miss Edmundson quite old and always wore a hairband?

LorraineS

« Reply #197 on: 07:26:36, 28/09/16 »
The year I went we traveled from Manchester to Luton by coach then took a pink Court Line ( long gone ) plane to Basel then a train to Interlaken. It took forever but so enjoyed it and it was 1973 !

smith12

« Reply #198 on: 17:08:47, 02/10/16 »
So excited to find this forum , i went to Central High Girls around 1974 my name was Gail Garbutt then.

maryam

« Reply #199 on: 17:41:58, 09/12/16 »
Hi I was at Central from 1975 - 1982 - I remember
Mrs Hogan - English
Mrs Tongue - how appropriate I think she spoke every language underthe sun
Mrs Clayton - German
Mrs Simons was my Form tutor
Mr Vlemicks Music
Miss Bowker Biology
Mrs Chisnell - History
Mr Mathieson - Maths another very apt name
Miss kay English
was it Miss Whittaker - needlework? she was veryold but lovely
Mrs Shaw deputy Head and Mrs wild Head Mrs Ivison deputy
Great to find this site xx

maryam

« Reply #200 on: 17:43:33, 09/12/16 »
yes remember Mr Drain - Religion

Rosi

« Reply #201 on: 11:26:16, 30/01/17 »
Just found this site today! Had a small reunion with 3 old pals on Saturday in Manchester and had a look at the old school.I was there from 1965- 1972 and was very proud to be Head Girl in my final year. They were happy days and we received an excellent education. I remember the reunion at Manchester Airport.I have so many happy memories. Does anyone remember Drusilla Barlow? I would love to get in touch with her for a return to the lakes trip being planned for this year.

Rosi

« Reply #202 on: 12:12:16, 30/01/17 »
The memories still keep coming! I remember a great teacher called Mrs Snape. She is responsible for my love of literature and Greece. We read My family and other Animals as our class book and it made me determined to visit Greece one day. I have been lucky enough to visit Greece many times since then. The other teacher who inspired my love of literature was Mr Roberts, with whom I studied English Literature A level. Also Mr Dobbins who somehow managed to get me to comprehend Maths - a little! Mr Kellet also fired up my interest in Geography. So many good teachers. Maybe that's why I ended up being a teacher myself. :) .I would love to hear from anyone who was at Central at the same time. I was Rosie Brown then!

Ex Mancunian

« Reply #203 on: 20:41:39, 15/02/17 »
Hello! Glad to see at last, a link to the lasses who came through the doors of Central High! I joined the year it stopped being a grammar school and took us poor kids in!
Julie and Erica Fortune Cheryl King, Pat Leader Kalwant (Singh?)  Denice (from Middleton junction?) are just a few names I remember.

Mrs Wilde was just head, Mrs Eastwood deputy, Mrs Simons (who hated for being tiny, me along with the scary French teacher whose name I have blocked!)
Mr Ashton, who couldn't understand how I passed exams well!
Oh, Mr Drain for theology (did we call it just religious studies??)
A male English teacher who gave us the poem 'The baby who went down the plug hole!'
1969 - 1973/4 anyone out there!

Denabev

« Reply #204 on: 20:49:06, 03/03/17 »
Dear Anne, I found your name on this site and joined so I could get in touch with you. I am Dena Beverley and I remember you very well,you and all those you mentioned. How are you.? Given that we were classmates you must be 64/65 like me. What do you do? Where are you? Have you got a family?
I would love to tell you all my news and hear yours. I married when I was 17 ,perhaps you remember that. We are still married. We have 3 kids and 4 grandchildren. I am retired now as is San my husband.
My email is denabev@hotmail .com. Please get in touch.
Love Dena

Jay

« Reply #205 on: 17:17:54, 05/04/17 »
I was at Central until 1974 and remember lots of the teachers mentioned here. I remember Miss Owen who took German and played the piano at assembly. Names I remember are Jackie and Angela Caddick who were twins. Gillian Brown Paula McCann,Gillian Blair to name but a few. I lost contact with everyone as I moved from Manchester but would love to hear from anyone who was is the same class as these girls.

zoepapadopoulou

« Reply #206 on: 14:46:15, 26/06/17 »
Hi i remember all those names, such a long time ago now.  My name is zoe papadopoulos now living in Paphos Cyprus for last 30 years or so.   Certainly remember Mr Drain, lovely teacher and person.   He was my form teacher at the time and remember also Mrs Hogan taught English and  Mrs Nwokobia taught Geography .  Mrs Wilde was the headmistress at the time.  Mrs Eastwood the deputy head.   I had a very good art teacher called Mrs Maidens , was a big influence.  Mr Cahill taught maths .   Please get in touch if anybody remembers me.

PSP

« Reply #207 on: 18:15:44, 16/09/17 »
Karen Cope OMG!!!!
I remember you and all the folk you listed - Shirley Jones 1970-77
If any of you remember me get in touch
It's 40 years since we left ......
I have very fond memories.
I recently got to see a staff photo at that time and I cried ......

PSP

« Reply #208 on: 12:06:17, 17/09/17 »
I remember Mr Ashton (the sooty nickname stuck). he walked on bent knees and wore the same tweed ja[size=78%]cket for 7 years...  lovely guy. [/size]

Does anyone remember going up to the Greenhouse on the roof? it was like something from Hogwarts, what a tip. We went up to tidy it one lunchtime as a nice surprise for him. Lower school 'gels' weren't allowed above B floor and we got caught and dragged to Mrs Eastwood.... we got a detention (oh the shame) despite our good intentions.

The fabulous Miss Jean Smith - French .... 'sieve head' and 'gas bag' were her stock phrases.

So many wonderful characters - I'd be here all day.

LorraineS

« Reply #209 on: 22:14:47, 16/10/17 »
Zoe, I remember you and your sleek dark bob. You were a few years above me, but I seem to remember you sitting on the stage in assembly as head or deputy girl? I also remember Christina Papadopoulous who joined our class around 1974 when she left Cyprus, and how amazingly well she did in end of year exams shortly after she arrived