Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174800 times)

Trisha

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #210 on: 06:58:14, 20/10/17 »
Hi I attended M/C Central from 1962-66 and we share so many memories. Me French taught history and he was so knowledgeable and gracious. He was one of the number of teachers who wore the black gowns and sped down the corridors like flapping ravens. I wonder if Miss Manners was as strict on teachers’ uniforms as with us girls?
Girls in my Year’s included Helen Cooke and Eileen Doyle, who I would absolutely love to catch up with. Eileen got me to sell Man City football programs on Saturdays. Does anyone know Eileen?
Remember the tricky boaters we had to wear in summer?

nuclearbrit1

« Reply #211 on: 18:37:17, 07/01/18 »
Hated the Boaters and the pudding basin velour hats.

Does anyone remember what the school houses badges were?

I was Elliot - Green, am sure Bronte was Blue and Stevenson Red I am sure there were 3 more.

I was there 1960-1967

I remember they changed the school uniform from Blue to Green first year there - cost mum a fortune!  Thanks miss manners!

Trish

« Reply #212 on: 20:34:19, 07/01/18 »
I was in Nightingale House, our colour was navy blue and the badges were little shields.

Do you remember doing needlework/ sewing in the basement ? Techniques I learned way back then when we made aprons I still use in my sewing to this very day? Sorry I don't remember the sewing teacher's name but she sure knew her stuff and taught us well.

Still searching for my friend Eileen (Doyle) if anyone knows her, please, please let me know.

Happy New Year everyone

LorraineS

« Reply #213 on: 21:56:55, 07/01/18 »
The only needlework teacher I remember was the appropriately named Mrs Prickett. The first item we made was an apron, ready for domestic science the next term.
In second year we made a wrap around skirt. And I too still use the skills I learned at central despite my mum being a dressmaker

nuclearbrit1

« Reply #214 on: 18:55:17, 08/01/18 »
Yes I remember the sewing classes - they  booted me out when the apron looked like a dishrag.  Went on to Art, couldn't draw to save my life eventually we compromised and I took extra History and English during the Needlework/cookery/art classes.

Still cannot sew or knit

Any other offers on the names of Badges?

Favourite teacher was History - ms Smith?  Grumpiest was the French Teacher.

Anyon remember the creepy Physics teacher mr Black?

riksta

« Reply #215 on: 16:30:54, 09/01/18 »
 Miss Land, needlework teacher during my time 1966-1970

Austen house, light blue badge.

Grenfell house seems to ring a bell.
« Last Edit: 16:35:30, 09/01/18 by riksta »

Chrisp

« Reply #216 on: 21:22:29, 03/02/18 »
Only just found this site and have loved reading all the old names and memories. I was at MCG for girls from 1959 for 5 years. Some of the girls I remember are the Slack twins, Moira and Irene, Susan Myers, Marilyn Clark, Pat Dawson whose parents ran a pub near Strangeways! Jennifer Deakin, Yvonne Hart and so many more. Miss Powell was a special memory as she hit me (not too hard) with her gown sleeve which was full of Ockenden penny collections, because I turned to look back on the stairs as she was following behind!!!! Didn't do it again! I was in the choir and went on so many trips but can't remember the choir mistresses name? I remember Miss Bowker getting married and we all thought she was far too old to be marrying. We were so young and innocent. Best wishes to all who have fond memories of their time there.

Alma Hargreaves

« Reply #217 on: 17:42:36, 11/03/18 »
I attended Manchester Central High School from 1947 - 1951 (leaving a year early) and although  it is a very long time ago I remember  my time there very well . Miss McWhirter for the Head Mistress then and Miss Lester was the Senior Mistress. Miss Clarke taught French, Miss Land - Domestic Science, Miss Pilkington Geography,  Miss Hornby-- History, Mrs Hetherington Maths (Iwas scared to death of her but she got the message across) Miss Barber taught Music Miss Gitsom - Physics -  these are to name but a few.  Now the question I need answering is - I  know that I had to pass my Scholarship to attend there and I have always been under the impression that Whitworth Street was a Grammar School but I have recently been informed that it never was - can anyone help.This will settle a  hugh argument

Jay

« Reply #218 on: 17:26:55, 31/03/18 »
Yes it was a grammar school my friend went there I followed a couple of years later and it was a comprehensive then.

Clawdy

« Reply #219 on: 22:12:01, 02/05/18 »
The house names were Austen, Bronte, Eliot, Nightingale , Macmillan and Scharlieb.  Was never quite sure who that last lady was!

Antionette

« Reply #220 on: 19:02:45, 23/08/18 »
I remember mr black. I was not one of his fans.

Surd

« Reply #221 on: 11:59:00, 14/09/18 »
I was at central 61-69, started in form 1c then 2d etc.
Miss manners was head and I remember most of the teachers already mentioned.
Am still in touch with helen s ape and pat Lloyd and went to a reunion couple of years ago with Eunice nuttall, penny, pat young, Janet, Denise butterworth, Carole dutton, think there were others but can't remember!
Does anybody know what happened to Denise burn? She lived in Blakey and went to Birmingham uni but just dropped off the radar!  Would love to hear from her.

Verna A Riding

« Reply #222 on: 11:47:50, 18/09/18 »
I do remember Miss Barber - Music Mistress.  She was a bit scary in those days.  I well remember one lesson when she got quite cross and banged her pointer on the blackboard.  We all tried very hard not to laugh!!

Verna A Riding

« Reply #223 on: 11:51:47, 18/09/18 »
I remember the pudding basin velour hats - hated mine!!  I too was in Elliot.  Was there 1945 - 49, leaving a year early.

Verna A Riding

« Reply #224 on: 11:57:40, 18/09/18 »
I was there at the same time as Shirley.  Started off in Class 1C, took German in the second year.

A special friend was Norma Houghton (who was sadly killed in a motor cycle accident in the fifties.  I was in the WRAF at the time and remember seeing the article in the Manchester Evening News when home on leave.  Very upsetting.  Another close friend was Rhona Caldwell.  Often wonder what happened to many of my school friends and where in life paths took them.