Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 123514 times)

L Parish

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #225 on: 21:17:01, 25/06/19 »
I attended from 1966 to 1971. I was last year to have grammar school status before it went comprehensive. Miss Manners resigned and Wilde became her successor.
My sister joined me 3 years later. I remember Miss Smith French , Mr James Biology. A Dutch teacher for needlework. And was a member of the Ornothology club at lunch time. I enjoyed the school and my memories were good and happy. Lynn P

L Parish

« Reply #226 on: 21:33:01, 25/06/19 »
I attended Manchester Grammar high school from 1966 to 1971 and was last year before it changed to Comprehensive status. Miss Manners resigned and Miss Wilde replaced her. Miss Eastwood was deputy and I can remember a number of teachers but not their names! Remember Miss Smith, French teacher- liked her. Bit of a Dragon but good humour. Mr James Biology used to throw chalk duster or chalk  at anyone who was talking. Mr Drain was our Religious Education teacher. And headed up the ornothology club at lunchtime with history teacher.  I had happy memories of the school and my time there.
My sister joined the school 3 years later and had Mrs Dixon as her science teacher. Walked with a stick.
One of the 5th formers ? Or lower sixth had a relationship with a teacher who used to play table tennis. We all used to go to watch him as he was dark and handsome ( as we thought at the time).
My needlework teacher was Dutch. Lynn T now P

Verna A Riding

« Reply #227 on: 22:16:37, 25/06/19 »
Obviously after my time and I must confess at my current age of 85, I don't remember as many names.  Miss Clarke was our French teacher - sweet lady and I hate to confess that we girls tended to take advantage of her as she was quite shy.  Miss MacWhirter was Head (a large formidable lady) when I was there and certainly, we never had any male teachers.  Lunchtime we were not allowed out of the school gates or to fraternise with the boys next door!  Especially after our Head Girl and the Head Boy had an affair and she became pregnant - certainly not done when I was there (1945-1950)!  Nice to chat

L Parish

« Reply #228 on: 09:06:19, 26/06/19 »
Hello Verna, wow boys next door? When I went there were only girls as boys were in separate place just out of town. Only pregnancy I knew about was one girl. Nobody spoke about it. Because there was only a yard outside our school we travelled on a bus to Withington to a sports field.
Next door was a college.
Only 5th and 6th formers allowed out. I remember the indoor and outdoor shoe rules and we went into the basement to change.
Uniforms were bought at Henry Barry or John Lewis? I think.
Grey socks only worn up to 4th year then 5th formers allowed to wear stockings or tights.
They were quite strict about the uniform.
Think my gaberdine coat fitted me for the whole 5 years. Lime green and velour hat had to b worn outside on way to and from school. If prefect spotted you detention.
If you folded the hat you created a crease.
Lynn

Verna A Riding

« Reply #229 on: 09:26:59, 26/06/19 »
Hello Lynn

In my day there were two adjoining schools, separated by a yard with a high wall, where we played netball. 
Yes, I think the boys did move out of town a few years after I left (oddly, my neighbour here in Handforth used to attend and he told me the boys' school had moved).  Only access to the boys school next door was via a locked door at the end of a corridor on E Floor.
We too used to travel to a sports field in Withington for other games - emphasis though was always on academia.
You nudged my memory - sixth formers and prefects were allowed out at lunchtime - hence the pregnancy (laugh).  Uniforms were from Henry Barry - think they might have been in St Annes Square? - John Lewis not on the horizon in those days.  Our uniform was green gymslips and black woolly stockings (hated them - made me feel like a goblin!).  Navy blazers with a black and green corded edge and MCHS badge on pocket (Manchester Central High School as it was then - rated as a Grammar School)
Always remember Miss MacWhirter at Assembly each morning.  After prayers she would report on comments from the public.  'A girl from this school was reported by a member of the public as being seen without wearing her hat - would this girl please step forward'.....Oo-er - I hated those hats.
Enjoy your day - Verna