Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174796 times)

twinsmum

An old friend of mine contacted me recently and asked could I find any information on the above school which she attended between 1938/1943/5 she was head girl before she left and wondered what happened to the plague with the names of all the headgirls on, also is ther any pupils out there who attended in those years most aged 79/80 now.
Is the building still in use today.
Laugh and the world Laughs with you cry and you cry alone

Tuesday

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #1 on: 13:28:27, 01/12/07 »
Visit  www.images.manchester.gov.org  for a piccie..plus you could have a 'Google'!!  :)

I always wonder where the plaques and suchlike go from old schools...hopefully NOT just dumped!! :(
« Last Edit: 13:32:29, 01/12/07 by Tuesday »
"I'll think about it tomorrow", Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind.)

Lorna

« Reply #2 on: 08:03:19, 26/08/08 »
I went to Central from 1977-82 and I dont ever remember there being a plaque for the head girls. Headmistress was Mrs wilde. Yes the building is still in use. It is now Sheena Simon 6th form college.

MarionG

« Reply #3 on: 14:17:17, 02/11/08 »
I went to Central from 71 - 77. Mrs Wilde (aka 'Ironside' because of her replacement hip  ;D) was the head when I started there.

Anyone remember Miss Smith the french teacher? "I'll mince you up and have you for dinner" haha

Looking back on my days there, I see that they put me in good stead for the future. No girl was going to leave there without having a use..... firstly we were encouraged academically... exams, careers, work experience and then out into the big wild world prepared and as qualified to work as we could be. Secondly, should we fail to be an academic genius, then we would make good wives and mothers.... needlework, domestic science etc etc... one way or another we would be useful members of society! haha

I'm struggling to find a website dedicated to the school - even images are hard to find. Anyone got any suggestions?

Would be lovely to hear from any old girls... :)

Mx

Doris

« Reply #4 on: 22:32:36, 11/03/09 »
I went to Manchester Central 1966 to 1971. Miss Manners was my head when I started, but I think Mrs Wilde took over. I don't remember her having a replacement hip though.I remember Miss Smith. She was my french teacher too. Lovely sense of humour, but a bit scarey until you got used to her. She used to make girls take their "war paint" off ( nail varnish and make-up). I also remember Miss Downs, the geography teacher. Tall woman who wore a lot of perfume. She used to go on holidays to Africa and show us her slides. These were the days when foreign holidays were just beginning...and mainly to Europe. Africa was out of this world.  Deirdre (nee Hall).

moz

« Reply #5 on: 17:49:23, 12/03/09 »
SOME LANCASHIRE SAYINGS  :D

"Ah cud eyt a buttered frog"- I'm hungry

"Ah'm fur clemt! Weers mi jackbit?" - I'm quite hungry. Where did I leave my packed meal?

" Ah wurr cawd goin't'shops burra forgeet" "It was my intention to go to the shops but I forgot" (I was called) (TM. Leigh)

"Ah'm bown't faw owt wi' thee, lad" (Quote from Tony McCormacks' Father in Law, when he caught Tony in a compromising position with daughter - Karen - before they were married) "I am bound to fall out with you young man"

"'As't purrup mi snap?" - Have you prepared my sandwiches, for work?

"Bin mon bin mon?" - Probably from Wigan - "Has the Dustbin man been?"

"Bread etten is soon forgetten"Said about an ungrateful person

"Con'ta lend a hond mon" - "Can you please help me"

"Don't stand on'th edge o't'cut, mon, th'art teed faw in"- Don't stand on the edge of the canal, my friend, you are certain to fall in

"Ees fair bowlegged wi brass" - "He's very rich"

"Faitin dogs come limpin whoam" -(Fighting dogs come limping home) "Don't quarrel"

"It's a luvly shade o' black o'er t'mother-in-laws" It's about to rain (From T & K McCormack, collected from a chap named Brutus, who was from Leigh.)

"Jow thee fat yed" - "Shut up, you always think you're right" (S Cook)

"Keep yer 'and on yer haupney" Warning to young ladies "Don't let young men take liberties) (Andy G)

"Mi belly thinks mi throats bin cut" - I'm very hungry

"Monny sondy greaunders" - Reference to natives of Blackpool or Southport (Sandy beaches)

"Once every Preston Guild" Not strictly dialect, but a phrase that means "Not very often" (Preston Guild occurs every 20 years)

"Pigs wain't follow an empty bucket" - "People will not work for nothing"

" Put Th'wood in'th'ole" - (Put the wood in the hole) - "Close the door"

"Stondin theer like one a' Burtons dummies" description of an idle person

"Tha's bin aytin vinnigger offa knife" - a response to a sharp phrase or scolding remark

"Tha's no oyl in thi' lamp" said to a 'fool'

"Thick enough t'chowk a donkey" A reference to a wad of notes in a rich mans wallet.

"Tintintin"- It is not in the metal container

"Mi belly thinks mi throoats cut" I am ready for something to eat

"Yer weren't made at Pilks" A St Helens term for "You are obstructing my view" (Pilks - Pilkingtons Glass Works)

"Wertibenfur" Where are you bound for or "wurt ti gewin"

"Tha meks a betta doower than a winda" You are obstructing my view (usually the TV).

"Bet tha cud eyt an appul thro a beard wire fence" My you have got big teeth

"Thaz a face like a line a wet weshin" Stop sulking

"Sawreetferthee" It is all right for you

"Standin theer leyke cheese at fourpence" Hanging around - Having nothing better to do.

"'Es spat is dummy out" He is angry (childish like tantrum).

"Tha [censored] sto a pig in a ginnel" You are very bowlegged

"Thes getten a face leyk a bulldog chompin a wassap" God you're ugly
(" Thes geete a face leyke a bulldog likkin [censored] off a nettle")

oreet

moz

huma

« Reply #6 on: 23:20:16, 04/04/09 »
I attended Central High from 1980 and also Sheena Simon College. Miss Burdess was the principal at that time, and Mrs Iveson and Mrs Shaw were vice principals. My form teacher Miss Joan Kay, also my English teacher, a really delightful teacher, was nearing retirement and in fact retired in 1981-82.
In 1981 the final first year intake started (among them my younger sister) and at the same time a new sixth form college was established with Glyn Young as the Head. It was at this time that I became acquainted with Miss Anne Thompson who was a fabulous mentor and friend, and without whom I would not have achieved all the things in life that I have. In fact, she was one of those teachers whose door was always open for any pupil, (whether she was in the room or not!). She always had time for you , either to chat or to advise. She had a fantastic rapport with all her students, whatever their social background, culture, religion etc. Sadly she died from pancreatic cancer around 1999-2000, and it remains one of the saddest memories that I only discovered that she had phoned my parents house at the end to presumably inform us of her illness, ( my 3 brothers also attended the same college as well as my sister) but we did not get the message until it was too late.

I have a booklet on the history of Central High School going back to the late 19 and early 20 C, with lots of pictures of old teachers and pupils. I will try to root it out and hopefully post some of the photos to this site.

Have to say those were the happiest days.

Helen

« Reply #7 on: 16:30:52, 06/04/09 »
Funny enough I went to Central High School for Girls too. I left in 82 and attended the college (Sheena Simon) for a year studying Drama. It was a trip down memory lane for me when I went with my youngest son to an open evening at the college a couple of years ago. Memories of queing up the stone stairs for dinner tickets came flooding back....happy days.

Does anyone remember Miss Hanson? She was lovely. I wonder whatever happened to Mr James the science teacher, hard as nails in the classroom but always played the panto dame at christmas haha.

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #8 on: 16:41:24, 30/04/09 »
I went to this school from 1960 - 1965 when Miss Manners was headmistress. It's such a lifetime ago but I still have fond memories (and some not so fond.. LOL.)

Somebody mentioned a website, there isn't one that I know of but I am a web designer and would be more than happy to do one if I got help from others. If anyone is interested in helping, please let me know and we can put together a website. From experience these things grow and I think it would be a very interesting project.

"huma",  I would love to see the booklet you are talking about.
I have lived in Canada for the last 37 years, the thing that made me want to come here in the first place was those wonderful geography movies and pictures.

Carole (nee Furness)
Brockville, Ontario.

Shirley 36

« Reply #9 on: 12:07:18, 08/05/09 »
 I attended Manchester Central High School from 1947 - 1951 (leaving a year early) and although  it is a very long time ago I remember  my time there very well . Miss McWhirter for the Head Mistress then and Miss Lester was the Senior Mistress. Miss Clarke taught French, Miss Land - Domestic Science, Miss Pilkington Geography,  Miss Hornby-- History, Mrs Hetherington Maths (Iwas scared to death of her but she got the message across) Miss Barber taught Music Miss Gitsom - Physics -  these are to name but a few.  Now the question I need answering is - I  know that I had to pass my Scholarship to attend there and I have always been under the impression that Whitworth Street was a Grammar School but I have recently been informed that it never was - can anyone help.This will settle a  hugh argument

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #10 on: 19:26:03, 08/05/09 »
It was called Manchester Central Grammar School for Girls when I attended from 1960 - 1965, it certainly was a grammar school then and I had to pass my 11+ to go there.
I hope you put money on it!
Carole.

tracy

« Reply #11 on: 23:00:30, 14/05/09 »
I went to Central from 71 - 77. Mrs Wilde (aka 'Ironside' because of her replacement hip  ;D) was the head when I started there.

Anyone remember Miss Smith the french teacher? "I'll mince you up and have you for dinner" haha

Looking back on my days there, I see that they put me in good stead for the future. No girl was going to leave there without having a use..... firstly we were encouraged academically... exams, careers, work experience and then out into the big wild world prepared and as qualified to work as we could be. Secondly, should we fail to be an academic genius, then we would make good wives and mothers.... needlework, domestic science etc etc... one way or another we would be useful members of society! haha

I'm struggling to find a website dedicated to the school - even images are hard to find. Anyone got any suggestions?

Would be lovely to hear from any old girls... :)

Mx

there is a group on facebook  i discovered a few days ago and have you tried freinds reunited

i went there from 76/77   to 81/82
the picture of mrs wilde on facebook is  still as scary now as it was the day i started there,
i remember a mrs simons who i liked  and for some reason have mr hargraves as music teacher but i could be wrong on that one

pat fowles

« Reply #12 on: 14:33:03, 10/06/09 »
Was def a Grammar School. Went there from '64 to '70. Does anyone remember the real skeleton in the custom made cupboard in the Biology Lab? He he.
Also, my Nana said it was a hospital during WW1 and she went there looking for work. Didn't get work because they said she was too small!!! Haven't been able to confirm this though.
Does anyone know when the building was built/history?

;D

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #13 on: 18:22:08, 15/06/09 »
There's a discussion here about it being a hospital:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t49807.html
Carole.

joan

« Reply #14 on: 16:12:51, 18/06/09 »
Does anyone remember  Miss  Hoddart (french mistress) and Miss Caiger (art mistress) cica 1940's. Miss Barber was a very strict music teacher. The two gym teachers always wore navy shorts. Can anyone remember their names? My friend Sylvia  and I used to go to the News Theatre with  the Grammar school boys next door to see short films. Does anyone remember going to see Henry V at the Odeon and the Picasso and Matise exhibition with the school at the art gallery.