Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174732 times)

huma

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #15 on: 20:35:11, 02/07/09 »
Mrs simons was my PE teacher when I started there in 1979 - she eventually became a deputy head when the school was converted to a college . She was a strict but fair woman with very short brown/blond hair.

Joan Kay for English

Mrs Earl taught Geography

Mrs Christine Chisnell- always immaculate and glamorous, lovely smile, very strict- History

Mrs Adamson (? Pauline ) music teacher, very gentle voice and sweet smile- taught us all her favourite sixties and seventies songs

Mr Vllemiks bearded mad looking blond curly haired music teacher - nice man but I never quite "got him".

huma

« Reply #16 on: 20:49:50, 02/07/09 »
does anyone remember mr harry ashton? , science teacher - bald  about to retire in 1982

huma

« Reply #17 on: 22:01:18, 02/07/09 »

My little sister just found this under "history of shena simon college" on google. I am surprised cos I thought the school dated back further.

Helen , I am looking for that booklet but its stuck in some heavy boxes under my sons bed in a very small bedroom at present so very difficult to access.

Will keep u posted though.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE

Shena Simon College is based in a beautiful historic building at the heart of Manchester.  Its history is fascinating - as is the lady who gave the college its name: Dorothy Shena Simon.

SHENA SIMON

Shena was born in 1884.  She studied Economics at Newnham College, Cambridge and was a keen supporter of the Suffragette women's rights movement.

In 1912, aged 28, she married into the wealthy Simon family of Henry Simon Engineering fame.  The company still exists today as a flourishing Manchester-based concern.

When Shena's husband, Ernest, became Lord Mayor of Manchester in 1921, she visited many of the city's schools from which she developed a life-long interest in education.

Shena became a Liberal Councillor and served on Manchester Education Committee for 43 years.  She also sat on the National Committee which ultimately introduced the comprehensive system of education to Britain.   

It was because of Shena Simon's great support for education that it seemed fitting to name the college after her when the opportunity arose in 1982.

THE BUILDING

The Duke of Devonshire opened the magnificent new five-storey building in 1900.  It had cost £X and became the Whitworth Street School until 1904.

As the renamed Manchester Municipal Secondary School it was extremely popular and an extension was completed in 1911.  At the outbreak of the Great War in 1914, the building was converted to a military hospital.

Pupils - both boys and girls - returned to the newly-named Central High School in 1920.  This identity remained until 1960, although the boys had left in 1954.   

It was appropriate at this time to re-name the school Central High School for Girls.  Following Manchester educational re-organisation of 1982, the building became home to Shena Simon College.

huma

« Reply #18 on: 22:13:03, 02/07/09 »
 Carole in Canada, I will def  be finding that booklet  in next few weeks; have made one attempt already but had to retreat, accepting defeat.

However hope to scan in as soon as i can.

Huma

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #19 on: 00:20:50, 03/07/09 »
That's ok Huma, I know the feeling! Stuff just gets put away for years till you remember it and can never find it. My house is like a flea market these days... LOL!!

zugzug

« Reply #20 on: 03:56:00, 18/09/09 »
I attended MCH in 1973-75 and Mrs Wilde was the headmistress then.  I believe I have one or two photos of the front of the school in the park.  I too would love to see the history book.  Does anyone know if it was or was not a hospital during the war? That was the "rumour" when I was there.  I now live in South Carolina, USA and reading all your posts really brought back some great memories.

Gallant

« Reply #21 on: 20:16:01, 04/10/09 »
i went to m/c central high starting in 1945 when miss mcwhirter was head- mistress . my name was marjorie gallant. can anyone recall the name of the scottish typing & hygiene teacher?

grandma

« Reply #22 on: 23:20:15, 08/10/09 »
I have just found this site. I am 86 years old and was a pupil at Whitworth Street 1934 - 1939. Miss McWhirter was the headmistress and I am writing my memoirs.

Are there any more of us still around? Would love to hear from you

Winifred (nee) Ramsbottom

joanlescure

« Reply #23 on: 17:48:38, 11/11/09 »
Winnifred,

I am here with my mother in Buffalo, NY.  She attended from 1937 - 1941.  She was evacuated with the school to Blackpool in 1939.  She became a war bride in 1945 and has been here since.  She has often wondered about others who attended at well. . . . Her name was Joan Lescure. 

littleann

« Reply #24 on: 20:22:05, 26/12/09 »
What a wonderful site for going down memory lane. I attended from 1958-1963. Miss McWhirter was head mistress, and I'm amazed to learn from some of the posts that she had been there since I was born!  She was there just a year I think before retiring, and then Miss Manners.
Still remember Miss Barber. She gave me such a hard time in music class, since my name was so close to "Callas" she thought I should sound like her...
I remember all the Science teachers were men while I was there. Mr. Black, Mr. White and Mr. Brown. What are the odds?
Would love to see posts from anyone who attended these same years. 
We all seem very proud to have been there, as well we should be. Greatest education in the world. I've been in America since 1967, and have aced peers who have far higher degrees than I ever received.

susan

« Reply #25 on: 00:00:16, 03/01/10 »
I was at the school from 1953 to 61 and my mother was there in the 30s. The two gym teachers in navy pleated shorts (and stockings ! )were I think called Miss Boardman and Miss Bunting. Miss Bowker taught Biology and Miss De Vries needlework. I don't remember what Miss Powell taught but I remember her prodding us with a dinner fork for talking in the dining hall.
When I visited M/C a few years ago the canal end of the building was being converted into loft apartments

littleann

« Reply #26 on: 17:52:39, 19/01/10 »
Susan,
Thanks for the memory of Miss Boardman and Miss Bowker. I could actually draw pictures of them if pushed.  What about having to wear navy knickers?? Strange how a little prod of the memory brings back things you had forgotten for 50 years. I love this forum and still hope to connect with some classmates one of these days.

alexandra

« Reply #27 on: 10:43:33, 24/02/10 »
I am currently working on a manuscript of an unpublished book on Natural Movement, co-written by Mary Johnstone and Madge Atkinson. Johnstone was Headmisress of the Central High School in 1924. I doubt anyone will have first-hand memories, but if anyone knew of her, or engaged with Natural Movement when at the School, I would be really grateful to hear from you. Thank you!

Tracey

« Reply #28 on: 21:07:54, 22/04/10 »
WOW - I'm a newbie to this site  :)

I attended Central from '79-'84 with a fab bunch of girls and have some super memories.

I was in Miss Kay's class in 1st & 2nd year. Mrs Brindley's class for 3rd and in 4th and 5th was with Mr Pick.

Would love to get all classmates together!! Come on......where are you all???

Sami_2412

« Reply #29 on: 10:46:02, 23/04/10 »
 O0  I went to Central at the same time as Trace  ;D  spending dinner money on chip butties  :-[

I was in Mrs Hogan's class - she later married & a group of us went for lunch (does anybody remember her name after?) Not everybody liked her because she was quite strict but she was really good to me  :) . 1979 - 1984