Author Topic: Woman whose name is Corona getting abuse!  (Read 439 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Woman whose name is Corona getting abuse!
« on: 13:12:54, 09/11/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54868143

Corona Newton has endured jokes about her unusual name for as long as she can remember.
Beer-related nicknames have followed the 49-year-old civil servant since before she was legally able to sup her first pint.
"People used to call me Guinness and Budweiser," she said. "That I could always laugh off. But this is more frustrating, especially when it gets aggressive."
Corona lives in Oldham, which currently has the highest number of Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people in England.
Residents of the Greater Manchester town have endured some of the toughest enhanced lockdown measures for weeks.
Corona said no-one takes her seriously when they discover her Christian name, while she cannot book a table or open an account without staff giving her peculiar looks.
"People have said to me 'as if I'm going to listen to somebody named after a virus'," she said.

Mum-of-five Corona has even been plagued by "really nasty" cold callers, with people just saying things like: "Is that the virus?"
While driving her daughter to the dentist last week, she picked up a highly abusive phone call from a man who swore at her.
She said: "He screamed down the phone at me 'what does it feel like to [do] the world over?'"
Her name also leads to awkward situations, like at a recent parents' evening when a teacher thought her daughter was being rude by saying Corona.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Woman whose name is Corona getting abuse!
« Reply #1 on: 13:15:34, 09/11/20 »
How daft can these people be?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing