Author Topic: Sale - Care home staff not wearing masks  (Read 836 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Sale - Care home staff not wearing masks
« on: 17:43:04, 09/12/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-

Staff were not wearing face masks "for several months" during the coronavirus pandemic at a care home that has been put into special measures by a health watchdog.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) also found a resident with an "unexplained injury" at Waterside House in Sale.
The facility was rated "inadequate" on safety and leadership grounds.
Trafford Council, which manages the care home, said "service had fallen well below expected standards".
"We have offered our sincere apologies to residents and their families for this," a spokesman added.
The CQC report into the independent living facility said there was a "negative culture" in some parts of the home and that staff "were not always treating people with respect" with safeguarding issues also a concern.

During October's inspection, it was found that "policies and procedures" to support the "prevention of Covid-19 entering people's homes" had not been made "in a timely manner", and the use of face coverings had only been recently introduced at the time.
The report found staff "had not received any up to date infection control training to reflect Covid-19", but it also said a "detailed action plan" in response to the pandemic has since been set out.
'At risk of harm'

The unexplained injury to a resident was discovered by inspectors, which they said "showed a prompt safeguarding referral had not been made".
The resident has since received additional medical treatment after inspectors prompted staff to make a referral.
Inspectors said they found "no evidence" that people had been harmed, but were concerned that people were being placed "at risk of harm".
The injury and other concerns around safeguarding meant the care home breached Regulation 13 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 - relating to safety "from abuse and improper treatment".
The report found that "not all" allegations of abuse were investigated or referred on and that "the management team failed to ensure people were protected from allegations of abuse".

« Last Edit: 17:48:31, 09/12/20 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator

St Chads Lad

Re: Sale - Care home staff not wearing masks
« Reply #3 on: 21:08:04, 09/12/20 »
CARE HOME AGONY Ex-Corrie actress posts clip of care staff shutting blinds on family in Covid window visit with dementia-suffering gran

Joe Duggan
[/list]9 Dec 2020, 8:40
  • Updated: 9 Dec 2020, 17:34
  • [/color]

[size=inherit][/size][size=inherit][/color][size=inherit]Play Video[/size][/font][/size][/color]
     [size=inherit][size=inherit][/size][size=inherit]Close[/size][/font][/size]

• AN EX-CORONATION street actress has shared shocking new footage of care staff shutting the blinds on her mum during a Covid window visit with their 97-year-old dementia-suffering gran.
    Leandra Ashton, 41, posted the heart-breaking clip showing her mum Ylenia Angeli pleading through the window that gran Tina Thornborough didn't look well.
    ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
    A heartbreaking new video shows Ylenia Angeli, 73, trying to visit her mum, Tina Thornborough, 97, through a care home window
    A heartbreaking new video shows Ylenia Angeli, 73, trying to visit her mum, Tina Thornborough, 97, through a care home window
    But Tina was wheeled off while Ylenia was still trying to talk to staff
    But Tina was wheeled off while Ylenia was still trying to talk to staff
    Care home workers then closed the blinds
    Care home workers then closed the blinds
    Leandra Ashton, left, said her family has been left heartbroken at the treatment of their elderly gran TinaLeandra Ashton, left, said her family has been left heartbroken at the treatment of their elderly gran Tina Ylenia, 73, is heard telling carers at Northgate House in East Riding, East Yorkshire, that elderly Tina's "quite blue around the lips and her breathing is quite fast".
    But the carer tells her to call back on Monday before wheeling frail Tina away and closing the blinds as Ylenia screams "don't take her away".
    Horrified Ylenia has since said staff "totally overrode" her when she tried to speak to them about her mum's condition, branding their behaviour "disgraceful".

The family have clashed with the care home before with Ylenia detained after she "sprung" her mum Tina from the home before lockdown.
    Daughter Leandra filmed the harrowing ordeal as her nan sat helplessly in the family car.
    Retired nurse Ylenia and her family want to care for Tina at home.''Ylenia told The Sun Online: "These window visits are appalling, anyway. There was no way my mother could hear what I was talking about.

"I had to kneel on the concrete and try to get through to my mother. They gave me 15 minutes, after about ten that kicked off.
    "It was appalling. I was absolutely shaken at the sheer callousness, at the way my real concerns were not being taken onboard.
    "My mother was wheeled away. It was terrible, really. I was just beside myself. Everything we have gone through over the last eight months, the arrest, and then this.
    "It's just like, 'My god, is this really happening? Is this really Britain?'"[size=2.4rem]

I was absolutely shaken at the sheer callousness[size=1.4rem]Ylenia Angeli[/size][/size]She added: "I just had the blinds put down on me and my mother wheeled away."
    It came just days after a government announcement that families who test negative for coronavirus can visit relatives in care homes this Chrismtas.
    More than a million rapid "lateral flow" tests, which provide results in about 20 minutes, are being sent to England's 385 biggest care homes.
    The ex-Coronation Street actress previously posted a shocking video of her mum being arrested after they tried to take nan Tina Thornborough out of the care home
    The ex-Coronation Street actress previously posted a shocking video of her mum being arrested after they tried to take nan Tina Thornborough out of the care home
    Qualified nurse Ylenia has pleaded to be able to take her mum home to care for her Qualified nurse Ylenia has pleaded to be able to take her mum home to care for her
    Leandra said the incident was 'devastating' amid calls for a review of the Government’s policy on visits to elderly people in care homes
    Leandra said the incident was 'devastating' amid calls for a review of the Government’s policy on visits to elderly people in care homes Following the government's announcement, Ylenia insists she produced a negative test result, but was told the care home wouldn't allow visits until all residents had received the new Covid vaccine.
    Ylenia said: "When I was tested and proved negative they said all the residents have to be vaccinated, which I think is atrocious.
    "It seems like East Riding of Yorkshire are making their own rules and aren't being guided by what the government is saying."
    She added: "We want action this week. We want mum home this week. My mother hasn't got two months to wait."
    Ylenia said she has contacted local MP Julian Sturdy about her mum's case.[size=2.4rem]'MY MOTHER IS DYING'A meeting with social workers on Tuesday was held to see if Tina should be taken home to be cared for by her family.
    A decision is due to be taken in the coming weeks, with a legal battle over her mum ongoing, but Ylenia is adamant her mum needs to come home immediately.
    Ylenia said: "My mother is so frail. you can see she is terribly unwell. How long has she got left?
    "My mother is dying and they are talking about three weeks to two months."
    She admits the relationship between the family and the home has "broken down, considerably".
    Sun Online has contacted East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Northgate House and Humberside Police.
    A police officer was seen at the scene as Ylenia Angeli, 73, was arrested
    A police officer was seen at the scene as Ylenia Angeli, 73, was arrested[/size]Last month, Leandra, an actress and yoga teacher from York, told Sun Online how they "sprung" her nan from the care home on the spur of the moment.
    Leandra,, who played Saskia Larson in Corrie, said: "The lady opened the door at which point my mother used the flowers to barge her way in.
    "She was just saying, 'Don't get in the way of me and my mother, let me get to my mother'.
    "She just hugged her. Which was just heartbreaking. Then she turned around to see me outside, the care home were calling the police.
    "At which point as my mum brought my nan round to have a look at me she just carried on wheeling her out, very quietly, very calmly, nobody stopped us and we just wheeled her.[size=2.4rem]'WE'VE SPRUNG NAN'"I thought, "We've sprung Nan, we have got her out, we are not going to giver her back".
    "We literally didn't know what the hell to do. We were like, we're on the run now with my 97-year-old nan.
    Ylenia was dearrested then released and her mother was returned to the care home.

MOST READ IN NEWS

[size=1.8rem]EXCLUSIVE[/size]
    [size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]PACKAGE DEALI flogged trackies on Facebook for £10... then the buyer stole my boyfriend

[size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]TRAGIC ENDMum scrawled 'sorry' on wall & hanged herself after being dumped at kid's party

[size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]HOTEL HORRORMurder probe after Travelodge receptionist is stabbed to death on night shift

[size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]STAFF GLOOMWhinging teachers blast ‘extra’ inset day as ‘not a proper break’

[size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]WATCHLISTThe areas at risk of moving to Tier 3 Covid lockdown next week revealed

[size=1.4rem][size=1.4rem]JAB WARNINGDon’t take Pfizer vaccine if you have ‘significant allergies’ - as two fall ill

Assistant Chief Constable Chris Noble, from Humberside Police, said officers responded to reports of an assault , adding: "The care home had also reported that a woman who they were legally responsible for had been taken from the home by her daughter.
    “Officers found both women along with a third woman nearby and informed them that they would need to return the lady to the home, as is their legal duty to do so.
    “Officers then returned the elderly lady to the home.”
    Northgate House has been contacted by The Sun Online for a comment.
    Ylenia's actress daughter Leandra, who played Saskia Larson in Corrie, told The Sun Online how they "sprung" her nan from the care home on the spur of the moment
    [size=1.8rem]13[/size][size=1.6rem]Ylenia's actress daughter Leandra, who played Saskia Larson in Corrie, told The Sun Online how they "sprung" her nan from the care home on the spur of the moment[size=1.2rem]Credit: SWNS:South West News Service[/size][/size]
    Leandra posted about the heartbreaking incident on Facebook
    [size=1.8rem]13[/size][size=1.6rem]Leandra posted about the heartbreaking incident on Facebook[size=1.2rem]Credit: SWNS:South West News Service[/size][/size]
    The gran was placed in a car after her family came to take her home from the care home
    [size=1.8rem]13[/size][size=1.6rem]The gran was placed in a car after her family came to take her home from the care home[/size]
    Leandra appearing alongside Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald), Kym Marsh (Michelle Connor) and Leon Ockenden (Will) in the hit ITV soap in 2016
    [size=1.8rem]13[/size][size=1.6rem]Leandra appearing alongside Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald), Kym Marsh (Michelle Connor) and Leon Ockenden (Will) in the hit ITV soap in 2016[size=1.2rem]Credit: Rex Features[/size][/size]
    Leandra says she has written letters to MPs, public health officials and the care home following the shocking incident
    [size=1.8rem]13[/size][size=1.6rem]Leandra says she has written letters to MPs, public health officials and the care home following the shocking incident[size=1.2rem]Credit: ITV[/size][/size]

[size=inherit][/size][size=inherit][size=inherit]Play Video[/size][/font][/size]
     [size=1.6rem]Moment nurse daughter is ‘arrested’ for trying to pick up mum, 97, from care home after nine months apart[/size]
  • « Last Edit: 21:17:11, 09/12/20 by St Chads Lad »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #4 on: 21:17:39, 09/12/20 »
    The CQC report into the independent living facility said there was a "negative culture" in some parts of the home and that staff "were not always treating people with respect" with safeguarding issues also a concern

Says it all doesn't it?

ExileSteve

« Reply #5 on: 21:49:21, 15/12/20 »
    Just cancel the Direct Debit. You'll get your mum back home in no time whatsoever.