Author Topic: Christmas Celebrations  (Read 4029 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Christmas Celebrations
« Reply #15 on: 20:56:41, 18/01/21 »
Yes but all the seasons had an appeal to children.  The summer of 1947 was glorious. Local parks like Ardwick green and further afield kike Platt Fields, Birch Fields Whitworth and Crowcroft all hold fond memories. The winter was great for kids but must have been awful for the adults.The snow seemed to be there for ever! At night the fog came down. Not mist -green horrible smog. Made breathing  difficult and often you could not see the ground. If you got a group of friends to throw snowballs on to the roofs of a row of terraced houses you could dislodge a whole row. 4 feet of snow outside each front door. we then offered to clear paths for pocket money!  Cheeky but fun.

Early entrepreneurs! 

It must have been worse in Buxton where I was born

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Tom

« Reply #16 on: 21:23:21, 18/01/21 »
1947 snow was pretty country wide and lasted months. Buxton is lovely . My mother liked it . We travelled in our motorbike and side car going via Disley. The hills were a struggle since it had six of us on board but you could do a lot of free wheeling on the way back. :)  Did you visit Alderly Edge and the wizard's well?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 21:47:23, 18/01/21 »
I grew up in Cheshire and have visited Alderley Edge and the Wizard,  I have photos of myself on a swing, which was probably in the back garden of the Wizard. 

In the 90s I used the tram to go to Crumpsall and Prestwich, would you say the higher up the towns the better the air? 

Tom

« Reply #18 on: 21:27:23, 21/01/21 »
The air certainly improved the further you got from the centre of Manchester before the clean air laws. The good thing about the city is how easy it is to get out into the surrounding countryside. Manchester is surrounded by rural areas, villages and small towns which retain their industrial and rural heritages.Cheshire and Derbyshire are easily accessible and feature on my family tree as does Wales .

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 09:13:19, 22/01/21 »
Hebden Bridge which I went to not long ago, Stalybridge and Whaley Bridge all small villages,  geography is not my strongest subject and I was surprised to notice that Stockport is more southern than most of the towns around Manchester.

Tom

« Reply #20 on: 20:53:26, 22/01/21 »
Sadly southern Manchester is badly affected by the floods. The Mersey has flooded at Didsbury. My father used to take us walking along its banks from Northenden and Parrs Wood towards Stockport. Any lads who were at MCGS in the 50's will know this bit. We were taken in buses for games. Nice in summer but not in winter. When I was in my first year our form master Herbert Harwood, who taught history ,was our referee. He stood on the Parrs Wood pitch in his hat , scarf, raincoat and wellies  holding an umbrella whilst the snow came down and we in football kit played round him. We turned various shades of red and blue on our legs and shivered. Good for you if you survived. The outside cold showers were not much in demand afterwards! ;D