Author Topic: GEORGE MELLING - Lancashire footballer  (Read 504 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
GEORGE MELLING - Lancashire footballer
« on: 10:26:12, 18/02/21 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-56088687

An amateur footballer said "he broke down in tears" after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).
George Melling, 36, who plays for Longridge Town, was recently told he had the "brutal" disease.
The Lancashire side's club captain has been sent messages of support from ex-Manchester United players Gary Neville, Wes Brown, David May and Dwight Yorke.

Dad-of-three Mr Melling said he wanted to "make the most of things and get married in the summer".
Rugby league legend Rob Burrow and former Liverpool defender Stephen Darby are also both battling the disease.
Former Rangers player Fernando Ricksen, 43, died in 2019 after a six-year battle with MND.

Mr Melling, who works as an engineer, said Burrow and other footballers' stories were "an inspiration rather something to terrify me".
"All the messages of support have been amazing especially from the United players as I am a fan," he said.
"This is a brutal disease but after being diagnosed a few weeks ago I have come to terms with it and I am determined to fight it with everything I have.
"I just want to rise as much awareness of the disease and as much money to help with a cure as I can."

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: GEORGE MELLING - Lancashire footballer
« Reply #1 on: 10:29:34, 18/02/21 »
Strongest good wishes to him from the forum
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

« Reply #2 on: 10:46:00, 18/02/21 »
Absolutely, it's a terrible disease, best wishes to George, I watched a documentary about Fernando's fight, it was heartbreaking to see his journey but he was brave and dignified and was supported by the club and supporters, I hope he gets the same.

ExileSteve

« Reply #3 on: 22:41:14, 23/02/21 »
Age 36.

A timely reminder that we need to appreciate all the blessings we have in life before they are snatched away from us.

God help this man.