Author Topic: Cheetham Hill - 1936 - 1975  (Read 904 times)

Alan Faulkner

Cheetham Hill - 1936 - 1975
« on: 16:56:33, 08/09/21 »
Hi! I am hoping to write an eulogy for my Dad, Ken Faulkner, who passed away on 7th September 2021, for his funeral service and I am trying to recollect his early days from 1936 to 1975 where he was born, raised and lived in Cheetham Hill before we moved to Middleton. We used to live at No.28 Clyde Street, now called Grangeforth Street, off Cheetham Hill Road and I vaguely have memories from when I was born in 1958, however, it is before then that I have no recollection of except that before Clyde Street was named as such, the street used to be known as Grosvenor Street? (unsure). Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

My recollection of Cheetham Hill where I lived was shops on both sides from the Premier cinema near Greenhill Road /Waterloo Road/Halliwell Lane leading into Cheetham Hill Village as we used to call it. Cheetham Hill Swimming Baths, Levy's furniture shop, Lennons Supermarket (where my Mam worked), Cheetham Hill Library and Woolies to name a few. Copthall Lane, St Marks Church, St Marks Lane leading to Heath Street and Tetlow Lane (North Salford School for Boys). Good times, never forgotten!

lozflan

Re: Cheetham Hill - 1936 - 1975
« Reply #1 on: 18:06:48, 08/09/21 »
Welcome, Cheetham Hill a multi cultural [Europeans] melting pot in a nice way.
Most,had nowt but were happy.
Even religious differences were tolerated,living side by side.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Rat_ Catcher

« Reply #2 on: 18:57:22, 08/09/21 »
Welcome, Cheetham Hill a multi cultural [Europeans] melting pot in a nice way.
Most,had nowt but were happy.
Even religious differences were tolerated,living side by side.

Yes , indeed multi - cultural well before the term became fashionable and political . My mum and dad moved from rented accommodation in Crumpsall to Cheetham Hill in the early 1960s when I was 3 . My parents were Irish / Catholic and we lived next door to a old Jewish couple who lived next door to a German lady . Other immediate neighbours were Polish   , Ukrainian,  Italian and even some English people  ! Decent people who just got along with each other .
 Alan Faulkner , I can remember most of the locations / places you mentioned and condolences on the passing of your Dad .

St Chads Lad

« Reply #3 on: 19:16:51, 08/09/21 »
I also remember the locations mentioned in the post, I seem to recall there was a barbers shop on Clyde st., I think his name was Whiteway, used to get marched there for a 'short back and sides' when I was a kid.

Condolences to you for your Father.

Linda Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 22:32:24, 08/06/23 »
I was googling Clyde Street. My grandad and Nana had the barbers. They were Whiteway, Fred and Lilian. Many happy memories there visiting on a Saturday. I was a Whiteway until I got married.