Author Topic: jpeg, gif or png  (Read 6961 times)

office

jpeg, gif or png
« on: 00:45:46, 20/01/08 »
Which is the best file format to save artwork for a website in.
I prefer jpeg quality to gif or png.
Any thoughts.

kerouac_zoso

Re: jpeg, gif or png
« Reply #1 on: 09:33:03, 21/01/08 »
gif or jpeg
rise and rise again until lambs become lions

dunc85

« Reply #2 on: 21:23:34, 25/01/08 »
It depends on the image.

For images with large areas of the same colour, a gif is better. But for photographs you should always use jpg.

I find png's are often larger files than their equivalent files in gif or jpg format, and remember that Internet Explorer 6 doesn't support transparent png's.

If in doubt, use 'save for web' in photoshop and preview the image as a gif and as a jpg. See which one has the smallest file size for the quality you need, and use that one.

Duncan

--------------------------
Halley Web Design - Affordable Websites for Small Businesses.

office

« Reply #3 on: 23:05:57, 02/02/08 »
Cheers for the advice, :)
I find as you say jpeg format for photos, png for gradients and drawings and gif for buttons, graphics and animation.
I try to check my images, photos etc. constantly I want them to be as clear to the eye as possible. I never save text to jpeg. Which programmes are used more often, I use fireworks, photoshop, flash, dreamweaver.
I try to stay away from templates etc.

RAB

« Reply #4 on: 00:59:10, 13/03/08 »
what format does 'fireworks' use - is it a proprietary one ?  ???

office

« Reply #5 on: 22:45:17, 13/03/08 »
Fireworks uses the png format: Portable Network Graphics.

I try to work with these formats:

jpeg:
Photos
Compression: (8 -15) or (92 - 85)
Clear Photos: Minimum Compression (takes longer to load).

gif:
Buttons
Graphics
Annimation

png:
Drawings
Gradients

Hope these few guide lines are of some help to you

RAB

« Reply #6 on: 00:46:51, 14/03/08 »
.....apparently 'GIF' format (uses LZW compression)and is propietary in that it is owned by Unisys and involves license fees if used in commercial software

Fireworks 'PNG' format is a free alternative but less popular !!

Neither of these 'Lossless' compression formats can store enough colour data for professional publishing

JFIF is the format using the JPEG technique - which describes the type of compression which is 'Lossy' and can store upto 24 bit colour, ideal for professional work
 :)
« Last Edit: 00:51:57, 14/03/08 by RAB »

Tony_mark

« Reply #7 on: 07:56:20, 11/05/10 »
Which is the best file format to save artwork for a website in.
I prefer jpeg quality to gif or png.
Any thoughts.

Hi,
The PNG file format is commonly used in artwork. The resolution of this format is high and you can remove the background. Some people use the Gif format, you can also delete the background in this format but the resolution of the file isn’t as good as PNG. In JPG format, you can create hi resolution images, but you can’t remove the background from any image in this format.

atmosferik

« Reply #8 on: 21:18:17, 10/06/10 »
I generally use Jpegs on our website, but Gif files are smaller and therefore faster for the consumer to 'See' when your site loads. They also take up memory, which some web designers set limits around when designing your website.

When most consumers see any work you are displaying, most will scan through it, rather than studying an image pixel by pixel... looking at the quality... That'd be weird and I'd be worried by anyone that did!!!
Where memories are made http://www.atmosferik.com

0rac1e

« Reply #9 on: 20:15:05, 14/08/10 »
I do a lot of image work, and save all my projects in TIFF until I have them completed, then convert to Jpeg for uploading to the Web. If you work on any image in Jpeg format, it will be degraded each time you save it.
By the way, an excellent free imaging program is Paint.net, not to be confused with the Paint which comes with Windows. It is every bit as good as Photoshop and extremely user-friendly.

atmosferik

« Reply #10 on: 03:45:56, 15/08/10 »
Shoot in Jpeg unless its for commercial photography.

No one can really tell the difference unless they are a master of photography or a complete geek. Our company shoots everything in Jpeg, but we shoot on manual white balance, flash, ISO, blah blah. Very little post production editing is required. As long as you photograph images in manual and you know what you are doing, raw really isn't so important.

Many photographers who shoot in RAW format rely on the ability to alter the white balance in post production. Photographers who know what they are doing, don't rely on this feature.

As far as I'm concerned (And meeting the best photographers around), white balance should be balanced on camera when shooting (Balancing the blue, yellow, Magenta and green), so as to make post production almost moribund.

Practice, practice, practice... Thats the key. As far as I'm concerned, shoot Jpeg, know what you are doing and everything else is easy... And that is coming from a Sky TV and BBC  photographer who trains (European funded) PHD photographers in the wedding industry... I know what I'm doing... White balance and Manual flash control is the key... ALWAYS use manual flash too.. Don't be influenced by dark or light surroundings...!!!
« Last Edit: 03:51:34, 15/08/10 by atmosferik »
Where memories are made http://www.atmosferik.com

Miss Ben E Fit

« Reply #11 on: 03:34:06, 27/10/10 »
If you need the background to be transparent use png
its not the cough that carries you off its the coffin they carry you off in

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 09:59:49, 27/10/10 »
If you need the background to be transparent use png

Welcom to the forum, can you get a benefit for being an insomniac?

I noticed you registered at around 0300 hours :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

peterd

« Reply #13 on: 19:58:02, 10/11/10 »
I do a lot of image work, and save all my projects in TIFF until I have them completed, then convert to Jpeg for uploading to the Web. If you work on any image in Jpeg format, it will be degraded each time you save it.
By the way, an excellent free imaging program is Paint.net, not to be confused with the Paint which comes with Windows. It is every bit as good as Photoshop and extremely user-friendly.

is there any difference in using TIFF over RAW hi all

kev-in

« Reply #14 on: 10:26:08, 11/11/10 »

is there any difference in using TIFF over RAW hi all

You can find lots of info here :
http://photo.net/learn/raw/

Regarding the format, it depends what you are going to use the picture for. When working on PSP, I always save my files as both jpeg and PSP format so that I don't need to start everything from the beginning if I want to modify something.