Author Topic: Welcome to Manchester Forum - Please read.  (Read 218818 times)

temporary

Re: Welcome to Manchester Forum - Please read.
« Reply #675 on: 12:43:09, 26/04/16 »

Hi

Central Manchester address needed to receive a single letter from google for 50 pounds. It is for a dating website to get better results in google search by placing it on a map in a central city location.

Please email me if you require more details.

Thank you,
Hanna

She6

« Reply #676 on: 11:26:01, 27/04/16 »
Hi I'm Sheila I went to Cheetwood primary scoop from 1956-1962 and we used to live on Salford Brow. Does anybody remember these times? :o

She6

« Reply #677 on: 11:27:20, 27/04/16 »
Cheetwood primary school

She6

« Reply #678 on: 11:32:19, 27/04/16 »
Bit more about me my friends were Iris Rose & a girl called Wendy who were both in my class at school. The headmistress was a Miss Williams and one of our teachers was a Miss Roberts. Does anyone remember? 

janisdolan

« Reply #679 on: 22:25:53, 31/07/16 »
Hi to everyone. I'm Janis. I live in north Manchester and work all over the area. I'm a silver surfing baby boomer and l think the internet is great. Born in Manchester, lived most of my life here, its changed a lot over the years, l like looking at old photos of places l know.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #680 on: 08:45:35, 01/08/16 »
Welcome to the forum Janis

Take a look at the Old Manchester thread, lots of photos
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eddy68

« Reply #681 on: 21:26:45, 13/11/16 »
Thank you for the welcome message I look forward to getting to more about your sight as it looks interesting and sets me on a journey down memory lane my name is Edward but I prefer eddy thanks again and bye for now.

ExileSteve

« Reply #682 on: 04:59:40, 05/02/17 »

Hi, I'm new to this site, but it looks promising up to now! I've been living in Cornwall since 1991, lots of water has flowed under the bridge since then. Still visit God's Own City as often as possible, and would like to come back for good,

Cheers, everybody! :D

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #683 on: 11:12:59, 05/02/17 »

Welcome to the forum Steve,  whereabouts in Cornwall are you if you can say?

ExileSteve

« Reply #684 on: 06:27:45, 06/02/17 »

St Ives at first, but Truro area these days! :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #685 on: 09:45:48, 06/02/17 »

I've been to Truro and can remember it as slightly hilly with interesting narrow streets where the shopping area is.

Enjoy the forum

sueb

« Reply #686 on: 00:30:43, 26/02/17 »
Thank you for accepting me looking forward to reading posts and getting involved.

Parky

« Reply #687 on: 07:19:25, 26/02/17 »
Hi sueb welcome  O0

Steve B

« Reply #688 on: 13:50:26, 24/04/17 »

Hi, I am yet another Newbie to this amazing forum. I found it a week or two ago whilst googling for information on Foxwell Street, and I was hooked. I read all of the posts over several evenings.

I lived at 10 Foxwell Street from c.1958 (aged 4) to 1970. I was delighted to find an entry posted here by a then-neighbour, and I was entranced by stories and information provided by so many people: they brought the memories of places and people flooding back and it was quite an experience.

My parents Harry and Doreen Bourne got married after their National Service, where they met. They moved with me and my younger sister Susie into a small flat in a big house on Cheetham Hill Road when I was 2. Looking at a map now, I think it was just north of the junction with Alms Hill Road, with a patch of open ground immediately to the north. After that I remember waking with wonder to ice patterns left on the inside of the windows by Jack Frost, and the high pitched whistles and hisses of the trains as they fired up in the mornings over at the railway sidings in Smedley. My brother Leslie was born in the Northern Hospital and my sister Julie at home in the flat with the help of the Midwife. I had 3 siblings and I was four by the time we moved to Foxwell Street. I went to Temple County Primary School and then North Manchester Grammar School, and we moved out to a Manchester overflow estate at Knutsford in Cheshire when we were forced to move by the slum clearances. I can understand the good intentions behind the clearances, but the upheaval and dispersal of communities, and loss of contact with best friends and the areas you know, was traumatic. I went to St. Luke's church, where I remember Sunday School and singing in the choir were fun. I also remember Pathfinders, and marching in the streets in Church parades and with the Boys Brigade. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Can anybody help me with a couple of questions regarding street maps?  I have not been able to find Foxwell Street on any of the older maps, although the street seems to be there physically. It shows as Frederick Street, and what I knew as Geneva Street, where my best friend David lived, is called Archer Street. Does anyone know why this should be? Are there likely to be any maps showing Foxwell Street and Geneva Street correctly? I think the post code when it was introduced was M8 8PA.

In a similar vein, Mam used to take me on a walk across Barney's to Ancoats, to see her mother. We crossed the railway using a high, smoke-blackened brick bridge which was called something like the 99 steps or 77 steps. Mam said that when was growing up she and the other kids used to go through or over the fence near there to collect coal. Gran's place was nearby on the other side. I'm sure it was Juno Street and it was near to Ajax Street, but I have not been able to locate either. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 13:57:17, 24/04/17 by Steve B »

lozflan

« Reply #689 on: 20:30:24, 24/04/17 »
Welcome Steve,the Geographia plan of Central M/C led me a merry dance ,the only Foxbank is listed.
Geneva is off Joynson,by the Bus station.
  Juno is off Livesey and Oldham rd.
Ajax in a small box of streets , Oak,Crimpton,Beckford,all off Oldham rd close to Queens rd.
I do'nt know how many still exist. Map is in the 30s     

Juno
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason