Author Topic: Stage Combat  (Read 2754 times)

SWORDPLAY

Stage Combat
« on: 13:10:25, 03/03/08 »
SWORDPLAY workshops at the Abraham Moss Leisure Centre, Manchester. This 10 week course will teach you how to punch, kick, strangle, head butt and hair pull, at all times safely and under expert tuition. Then learn the techniques of sword fighting: cut, thrust, and parry! The course will culminate with an opportunity to create and perform your own fight using a variety of real weaponry. A must for any amateur or professional actors, or those interested in stage fights.
Fee includes exam and certification. Ring or email for more details, begins Monday March 10th (7pm-9pm). Cost 120. Cost for early bookings, Equity members and those under professional management 90. The Abraham Moss Leisure Centre is situated next to the Woodlands Road tram stop.

SWORDPLAY

RE:Stage Combat
« Reply #1 on: 15:33:35, 05/03/08 »
Just to confirm the contact details for this course:
email: [email protected]
phone: 07722147243
Because of the level of interest booking is now advised.
SWORDPLAY

arthurchappell

Re: Stage Combat
« Reply #2 on: 18:25:55, 05/03/08 »
As a historic re-enactor weapons training comes as part of my membership - i have had a few lessons in sword but i mainly stick to pike - sword lessons for acting would vary with different periods, ie vikings would use sword and sheild, later sword fighting is without sheillds - there are broadswords and epees, rapiers, etc  - the styles witheach and context of usage in the field or in drama are very different - a course is unlikelyto give you mastery of  all of them in such a short period so students should be sure  that the course they take is the right one for their particulr dramatic production needs
Arthur Chappell, writer,  Civil War Re-enactor, ex-cult member, socialite  http://arthurchappell.me.uk/

Facebook - http://profile.to/arthurchappell/

SWORDPLAY

Re: Stage Combat
« Reply #3 on: 12:24:05, 06/03/08 »
Hi Arthur, thankyou for your message. You are correct in that it is very important to understand that the technique for fighting with an Italian rapier in the Elizabethan period is very different from the technique when using a single handed sword and shield from the medieval period. However the skills learnt in this course are applicable to using all weapons i.e. timing, distance, balance, footwork and body mechanics when attacking and defending. The course will focus on the use of the rapier (as this is commonly used onstage even for plays when the characters would have been using very different weapons) and unarmed.
Regards
Richard Brighton
SWORDPLAY