Author Topic: Woolworths Fire  (Read 57648 times)

Firesafesofa

Re: Woolworths Fire
« Reply #75 on: 10:37:18, 11/10/17 »
From the Manchester Evening News 2013:

"Assistant County Fire Officer Bob Graham, who led the blaze inquiry, later campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law to improve the safety of soft furnishings. His cause was championed by Tony Blair, the then shadow trade spokesman, who helped bring legislation to Parliament in 1988. Mr Graham, who now works for the Alliance of Consumer Fire Safety in Europe . . . "

The ACFS has very close links with the European Flame Retardant Association. Bob Graham was funded by EFRA for many years (retired a few years back), spending all his time flying around the world trying to convince everybody, governments in particular, that more flame retardants are the answer to fire safety.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #76 on: 15:17:52, 11/10/17 »
Wasn’t there another horrific fire around the same time  near Woolworths, where many women working a late shift perished ?
Is it possible that you are referring to the China Lane fire in 1977 when 7 women were tragically killed?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: 15:33:50, 11/10/17 »
There have been Woolworths fires at Colchester, Bristol, Skipton and Glasgow
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: 20:24:07, 11/10/17 »

Parky

« Reply #79 on: 20:33:33, 11/10/17 »
Is it possible that you are referring to the China Lane fire in 1977 when 7 women were tragically killed?
china lane yes indeed scl, absolutely horrendous , I believe they were trapped on the top floor

Parky

« Reply #80 on: 20:39:42, 11/10/17 »
if someone could put this link on here (who’s more  savvy than I) about this tragedy ,it’s crisis-response.com

St Chads Lad

« Reply #81 on: 20:41:09, 11/10/17 »
china lane yes indeed scl, absolutely horrendous , I believe they were trapped on the top floor
I read a report online about the operator not being able to understand the emergency call because of the mayhem and cries of those poor women that lost their lives, the line went dead and they located the fire after a member of the public saw the smoke and called it in, horrendous is the right word.

ExileSteve

« Reply #82 on: 21:20:02, 11/10/17 »
Absolutely horrible, all of it. I remember the fire receiving extensive new coverage, but thankfully I was nowhere near it. The only possible consolation is that lessons were learned, as they are usually learned from most tragedies in this country and beyond. The easiest lessons to digest are the ones we all learn the hard way, sadly.

Parky

« Reply #83 on: 21:39:22, 11/10/17 »
I’ve just read that the fire started in the closed ground floor chip shop .as I posted I can’t post the story but needless to say the narrative is truly awful

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: 21:42:26, 11/10/17 »
Quote from: Parky link= ???topic=213.msg294051#msg294051 date=1507754362
I’ve just read that the fire started in the closed ground floor chip shop .as I posted I can’t post the story but needless to say the narrative is truly awful

I think we are getting two fires mixed up ??? people will be confused over which fire we are talking about ;D

sandrabuxton

« Reply #85 on: 08:27:02, 12/10/17 »

I remember going up the escalator to look at the lighting section, was it on the first floor or second floor?
The lighting Dept was on the 1st. floor (that's the dept. I worked on) the fire was on the 2nd floor

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: 16:45:24, 12/10/17 »
Thanks Sandra,

re the footage I put on it does seem that all the staff on the floor which had bars at the window escaped thank goodness

sandrabuxton

« Reply #87 on: 21:58:59, 12/10/17 »

Thanks Sandra,

re the footage I put on it does seem that all the staff on the floor which had bars at the window escaped thank goodness

Celeste, Sadly one member of staff did die, he was found on the same floor as the cash office where the girls were. He was found near the escalator.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: 22:02:09, 12/10/17 »
 :(

R.I.P.

What do you think of Elizabeth Price making money out of this awful tragedy as it has received some criticism :-\

http://macm.org/en/exhibitions/elizabeth-price-the-woolworths-choir-of-1979-2/
« Last Edit: 22:09:54, 12/10/17 by celeste »

Parky

« Reply #89 on: 00:46:35, 13/10/17 »
:(

R.I.P.

What do you think of Elizabeth Price making money out of this awful tragedy as it has received some criticism :-\

http://macm.org/en/exhibitions/elizabeth-price-the-woolworths-choir-of-1979-2/
ghoul perhaps