Author Topic: Woolworths Fire  (Read 57652 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Woolworths Fire
« Reply #90 on: 23:15:23, 14/10/17 »
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/my-sister-died-in-the-woolies-fire--698422

'How dare they call it art' - Christine Flanagan

Christine’s anger was echoed by her friend and Harpurhey councillor Pat Karney, who now plans to write to the judges.

He said: “I was appalled to see how they showed footage of the building burning interspersed with pop images. This stupid and offensive art is an insult to the people who died. I will be writing to the judges on behalf of Christine and the families who lost loved ones.”
« Last Edit: 23:19:01, 14/10/17 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Firesafesofa

« Reply #91 on: 10:02:23, 15/10/17 »
Someone said that lessons were learned from the Manchester fire. I'm not so sure. Lessons at ground level, perhaps. But I've been working intensely with independent experts on the Grenfell Tower fire and it's clear that lessons at the top have not been learned. Or they've been ignored for a mixture of motives that on the whole have less to do with public safety than profit and personal elevation. Unfortunately, business (and its corrupt enablers) has the clout to customise public safety measures to its own ends. So, it may have been true that the Woolworth's fire led to the introduction of the UK's furniture flammability regulations. It may also have been true that at first these did a job of protecting the public. But what is now true, 30 years on, is that these Regulations have been thoroughly abducted by the furniture and chemical industries, with the result that we are all sitting on products that are flammable when they shouldn't be (because the regulations are no longer effective), and suffering various illnesses from flame retardant dust. Worse still, if a fire starts in your sofa, the toxic flame retardant fumes will kill you quicker than any flames. Which leads back to Grenfell Tower . . .

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: 12:14:34, 15/10/17 »

Someone reported that the fire alarms went off but no-one heard them, obviously they need to be louder, and surely more fire extinguishers visible near furniture or anything flammable - in high-rise buildings all apartments should have fire extinguishers (and I would keep mine in the kitchen even though I don't live in one)

Can't understand those two women who were stuck behind a locked door, where were they and why was the door locked?

St Chads Lad

« Reply #93 on: 13:05:15, 15/10/17 »
I was working on a school a few years back during the half term break and there was a fire alarm test in progress, as the alarm was sounding a member of staff emerged from the staff room with a tea towel and rammed it into the siren on the wall because it was disturbing him, that's what he thought of fire safety

Parky

« Reply #94 on: 13:22:39, 15/10/17 »
In a similar vein we had a alarm going off in a building at the university, people were still trying to get into the building saying they had important work to do!!! :idiot2:

St Chads Lad

« Reply #95 on: 13:27:33, 15/10/17 »
I find that the "better educated" seem to lack any common sense  ;D

Parky

« Reply #96 on: 13:51:33, 15/10/17 »
That’s so true ,some of the things I witnessed there :coolsmiley:

sandrabuxton

« Reply #97 on: 16:04:23, 15/10/17 »

I think is is dreadful, some people show no respect

:(

R.I.P.

What do you think of Elizabeth Price making money out of this awful tragedy as it has received some criticism :-\

sandrabuxton

« Reply #98 on: 16:08:51, 15/10/17 »

Someone reported that the fire alarms went off but no-one heard them, obviously they need to be louder, and surely more fire extinguishers visible near furniture or anything flammable - in high-rise buildings all apartments should have fire extinguishers (and I would keep mine in the kitchen even though I don't live in one)

Can't understand those two women who were stuck behind a locked door, where were they and why was the door locked?

The fire alarms were loud enough but people just took no notice, I tried to get a woman to leave, but she was more interested in finding out if we had a lampshade in another colour! Most of the people that died on or near the restaurant didn't want to leave the meal they had paid for!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: 16:26:22, 15/10/17 »
I'm surprised that the death tally was only ten after viewing the strength of the fire coming from the windows

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: 22:47:12, 16/10/17 »

« Reply #101 on: 18:13:59, 26/04/18 »
Good evening everyone. With the 40th anniversary of the Manchester Woolworths fire next year ( 8th May 2019) I am looking to hear from anyone who was in the store at the time of the fire, any family  members or any emergency service workers who attended the scene.

I would be grateful if you could email me

Thankyou

celeste

• Global Moderator

« Reply #103 on: 07:07:26, 27/04/18 »
Thank you for the link

Dorothyl

« Reply #104 on: 21:08:26, 24/07/18 »
I use to work in woolworths  in piccadilly gardens.  That was In 1973 after I left school.
Everything I have read about the fire  I had seen on a group.  I found it very sad. 
The same year as the fire broke out in the really nice building.  I had my 1st  baby.  He was born in September  that year.
Where the   customers  cafe was I had to go through  to the staff  cafe.  For our dinners or tea breaks.

All the wages and money taken from the days takings  was locked in the manageress  office. The manageress was called miss pratt. Her assistant  was the sister of my supervisor  on the shop floor  on the electric part.
Now woolworths  has had another change.  From amusement arcade.  It is now morrisons. 
Even though it is now morrisons.  I will always  know it as woolworths  and to me it will always will be.
Everytime I go to Manchester.  I smile at this building.  Just because  it has beaten everything.  And it was my 1st job from leaving school.  And has very good memories for me.from when I was a toddler.  It's such a nice building.