Author Topic: 1960s Music scene in Manchester  (Read 45965 times)

tony dixon

Re: 1960s Music scene in Manchester
« Reply #15 on: 15:30:24, 27/08/08 »
Does anyone remember the book and record stalls adjacent to the Old Moseley Arms in the late fifties/early sixties ?   When the Top Rank record label folded in about 1962 one of the stalls was exclusively stocked with that labels singles, all brand new, for sixpence apiece. I wish I'd have bought one copy of each title and hung onto them un-played. They'd be worth a small fortune by now. Any more "if only" stories ?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 18:14:20, 27/08/08 »
As far as i know James Stannidge is working for a london radio station as a shock-jock. apart from that i know little else as i no longer am living in manchester.  >:(

thanks for that Lorna, he was always a shock-jock but people knew what to expect ;D
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 18:16:34, 27/08/08 »
Does anyone remember the book and record stalls adjacent to the Old Moseley Arms in the late fifties/early sixties ?   When the Top Rank record label folded in about 1962 one of the stalls was exclusively stocked with that labels singles, all brand new, for sixpence apiece. I wish I'd have bought one copy of each title and hung onto them un-played. They'd be worth a small fortune by now. Any more "if only" stories ?
I 'inherited' a few Top Rank records don't think they'd be worth much, been played.

Whereabouts is the Old Moseley Arms, there are some record stalls just off High Street, books as well

tony dixon

« Reply #18 on: 13:07:17, 28/08/08 »
Sadly, Celeste, The Old Moseley Arms was demolished along with three other pubs to make way for the Arndale. The only pub still active on Shudehill is the Hare and Hounds although the Lower Turks Head building still survives as does the facade of the Swan With Two Necks. The point about the Top Rank records is that when a big name label ceases to trade, their records become more difficult to find thus making them more desireable to vinyl collectors. The stalls just off High Street are not as varied as the ones on Shudehill were.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 14:10:53, 28/08/08 »
Is there a record shop in Affleck's Palace, I used to go in there for memorabilia?

tony dixon

« Reply #20 on: 14:27:01, 28/08/08 »
I was in Afflecks last week and only noticed one record outlet but I didn't have time to browse as I was on a mission. Are you into the 50's/60's stuff ?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 14:41:28, 28/08/08 »
not to collect I sort of 'inherited' it all when it was left behind in a house.  I don't really have time to play much - I have cds I play in the kitchen, and only listen to sometimes the first song while I'm making tea, I have started buying retro Chuck Berry, Little Richard, as these were the artists admired by the Beatles and Rolling Stones and quite like them - also Muddy Waters not seen anything of his.  My  son plays his cds in the lounge so I often listen to those.

If you are interested in 50/60's music, catch our forum member RoyH on www.cheshirefm.com every Sunday evening from 7pm - 10pm on Youtube

tony dixon

« Reply #22 on: 17:35:32, 28/08/08 »
Thanks for the radiocheshire info. Will give it a go on Sunday.
John Lennon is quoted as saying - "If it wasn't for Buddy Holly and The Crickets there wouldn't have been any Beatles"  I have every record Buddy and the Crickets ever made on vinyl and CD. ( bit of an anorak )
Incidentally, The Crickets are still performing with the original drummer and bass player who played on their first hit , a million seller, "That'll Be The Day" back in 1957. I last saw them about ten years ago at a rock and roll weekend.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 18:09:35, 28/08/08 »
My son bought Buddy Holly's greatest hits this week, he has so many cassettes (under his bed now) cds, dvds, videos - more than any shop

tony dixon

« Reply #24 on: 13:37:17, 01/09/08 »
You can't have enough BH records. They're all great. Give them a listen.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 16:37:43, 01/09/08 »
He's playing them I like Heartbeat, and It doesn't matter any more'

what are your favourites?

tony dixon

« Reply #26 on: 11:54:26, 02/09/08 »
Too numerous to list fully but :
 1. Peggy Sue
 2. It's so easy
 3. You're so square
 4. Raining in my heart
 5. Not fade away
 6. Peggy Sue got married -  plus the two you mentioned and many more.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 12:11:37, 02/09/08 »
Do you still go to Affleck's Palace?

tony dixon

« Reply #28 on: 12:41:37, 02/09/08 »
Not as often as I'd like to - depends on how well the tablets are working.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 13:14:00, 02/09/08 »
enlighten me - tablets? ???