Author Topic: Todd Street  (Read 4104 times)

tony dixon

Todd Street
« on: 15:03:32, 30/08/08 »
Hi Celeste,
Just picked up on your post reply regarding T.S.  If  you go to image 69099 you can just make out The Top Cat Club which I sometimes used to visit for a nightcap. I worked for the C.W.S. Balloon Street (1960-65). If I asked a girl out after work I'd take her for a drink and a sandwich to the Expresso Bongo before going wherever. (shown in image 01117). In the same photo is Ralphs Records where I used to buy my LP'S.

tony dixon

Re: Todd Street
« Reply #1 on: 17:12:40, 30/08/08 »
Todd Street ( part 2 )

I remember a cafe called City Snacks in the area. Was it the same business ? It was across the street from the Expresso Bongo.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 19:51:16, 30/08/08 »
It was further towards Victoria Station on Todd Street, there were stairs leading down to it, it was very large, it was a Chinese restaurant at one time and then a nightclub called the Bossa Nova
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 08:30:41, 31/08/08 »
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk

go to view collection  (images)

then type in street name
« Last Edit: 08:35:06, 31/08/08 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 12:13:36, 27/09/08 »

You searched for Todd Street Manchester.
Results 1 - 10 of about 41. Search took 3.607889 seconds.
Find out what's on at visitmanchester.com
http://www.visitmanchester.com/
Sort by date / Sort by relevance

The Leader's Blog
The Leader's Blog. What are we made of... 25/07/2008 by [email protected].
uk. ... . Town Hall for the People. 23/07/2008 by [email protected]. ...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/blog/leadersblog

Manchester City Council - AZ of Listed Buildings in Manchester ...
... 6.6.94. Todd Street. City Building. ... 6.4.00. Turner Street. Nos.33 and 35 Warehouse,
workshop and shops. ... 25.5.04. Pages in AZ of Listed Buildings in Manchester. ...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1908&pageNumber=19

Manchester City Council - Cathedral Conservation Area ...
... the ecclesiastical and scholastic centre of Manchester since the ... the curving line
of the Cateaton Street, Hanging Ditch, Todd Street, Victoria Station ...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=964

John Tiscornia

« Reply #5 on: 13:39:20, 05/03/17 »
I have just found this forum as I was trying to find out about the new development on Todd Street which is incorporating an old building that contains my families old business City Snacks. I was in Manchester at a meeting in the Town Hall on Thursday and had a walk down and was surprised to see building was still there.

We leased City snacks from The Manchester Corn Exchange between 1951 and 1966/67 when we sub let it to a Polish gentleman.
I remember it all very well,  as a school boy I would work in the caf helping my mother and father.  I remember Nellie the Florist on the corner opposite Victoria Station, if I am not mistaken she was helped by her son.
Diagonally opposite to Nellies on the corner of Long Millgate was Midgley's TV show room where I remember watching the 1966 World Cup Final.

The Chinese restaurant down stairs next to Nellies always had problems with their kitchen extract fan. which was at pavement level.
In one of the pictures I looked at it shows the old iron gates of our delivery yard that we shared with the ware house, carpets I think,  and bacon and cheese wholesaler who was in the basement next to us.

Our business was up and running before The Expresso Bongo on the opposite corner of Todd St and Corporation Street.

The Print works is where the Mirror and sister papers were printed. On a Saturday evening about 9.30 / 10pm the paper workers would have a break and bring in the first editions of the NOW, Sunday Mirror and I think People papers.  In another of the images you can see a wagon loaded with rolls of print paper waiting to deliver up to the Print works, some days there would be 5 or 6wagaons lined up on Todd Street waiting to deliver.

If any one  wants more info let me know.   
Windermeregolfer Dreaming of A Hole In One

lozflan

« Reply #6 on: 08:17:20, 06/03/17 »
Thanks John, confirming the flower seller was Nellie.a relative of Halstead family I believe.They had a bathroom/fittings shop near the Knowsley pub.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Conal K

« Reply #7 on: 00:15:03, 05/05/20 »
Just seen this whilst researching my relative Nellie Ford. Id have to check the Halstead connection though. I remember Nellie in her elder years. When she died in the 1990s the police closed Market Street for her procession and all the traders lined the streets.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07:59:58, 05/05/20 »
My father used to bring home flowers for my mother bought from Nellie and Izzy (?)   

John Tisconia - was the gentleman who subletted from your family  a Mr Lempert?

Conal K

« Reply #9 on: 19:34:00, 05/05/20 »
My father used to bring home flowers for my mother bought from Nellie and Izzy (?)   

John Tisconia - was the gentleman who subletted from your family  a Mr Lempert?

Thank you for that information. Ill get back to you when Ive spoken to others. Wonderful to hear.