Author Topic: Were you working in the 1950's and 60's?  (Read 3111 times)

KathrynH

Were you working in the 1950's and 60's?
« on: 12:16:31, 07/10/08 »
(I contacted Chris (admin) to check it was ok to post this.  Haven't heard back after 7 days so I'm assuming there's no problem)

Did you work in Britain in the 1950’s and 60’s?

If so the makers of the popular BBC2 Fred Dibnah series’ would love to hear from you.  We’re a small family run company based in Leeds called ‘The View from the North’ and we’re researching a new possible series and book about the working lives and communities of our disappearing generations.

Did you work making ships, trains, engines, cars, machinery, nuts and bolts, pressing or rolling metal, in the mills and factories, down the mines, at the docks?  People from all of these professions and many more are exactly the people we want to speak to.  It’s the stories of your work, life and times that we want to hear and feel should be preserved.

In the 50’s Britain was still a thriving industrial nation but inevitably times have changed and the landscape that surrounds us now is a world away.  Before it’s too late we need to make sure that a record is taken of the social and oral history of Britain before industry really began to decline.

We’re looking for people who would like to tell the story of their earlier lives and of the community they were part of.  The jobs you had and what they entailed; social and family life, whit walks, courting rituals, the hardships and the pleasures in life, pit bands & miners galas, the decline of industry and the affect it had upon your community….  your memories of Britain in the 1950’s and 60’s.

If you think that you, or someone you know would like to contribute to this ambitious project please do not hesitate to contact Kathryn on:

0113 249 3001
or
[email protected]

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Were you working in the 1950's and 60's?
« Reply #1 on: 12:51:36, 07/10/08 »
Do the people who contribute to this programme get paid for their contribution?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

KathrynH

« Reply #2 on: 11:50:11, 13/10/08 »
We haven't been commissioned to make this as a programme for a particular channel.  It's a project that we've decided to embark on as we feel it's important that this part of our history isn't lost.  At the moment we're doing this independently and without funding.  This may change at a later date, but at the moment I simply don't know.

Anyone taking part would receive a copy of the doc/film we produce and a copy of the transcript of their interview (should they want it).  To be honest I think that people are only going to take part in the project if it's something they want to do and if everyone speaking wanted say £100 we simply couldn't afford to even begin.

I hope this has helped with your question.

Kathryn

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 15:15:01, 13/10/08 »
Yes it has, thanks Kathryn, what worries me is when TV channels use the public as money spinners, some programmes like 'You've been framed' do actually pay people to send their videos in though.

KathrynH

« Reply #4 on: 12:02:56, 14/10/08 »
I understand -  as I say, we're not sure exactly how the project will pan out at the moment, but if it did end up being commissioned as a TV programme then we'd pay people a standard interview fee if we ended up going out to film with them.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 15:25:26, 14/10/08 »
ok that's fine thank you Kathryn :)