Author Topic: claremont road school moss side  (Read 18551 times)

rayel

claremont road school moss side
« on: 21:26:53, 02/11/08 »
Did anyone attened claremont road infants juniors or senior school from 1956-1966, if so what are your memories do you remember miss wood and mrs furness and the wooden hut in the play ground

allan

Re: claremont road school moss side
« Reply #1 on: 23:50:35, 26/11/08 »
I didn't but my brother did. He was in the Senior School and would have left in 1960 when he turned 15. I will be catching up with him this weekend so I will ask him

migky

« Reply #2 on: 09:25:37, 28/11/08 »
why not try  on this site, it is free. So you knothing to loos
Migky ;)

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/
I'm a bit like Marmite

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #3 on: 19:22:33, 08/05/09 »
I remember Mrs. Furness. She was my mother.. LOL!!
I also went to Claremont Road until 1960.
Carole.

Annie Parker

« Reply #4 on: 21:52:33, 14/11/09 »
 :)  :)

Annie Parker

« Reply #5 on: 22:00:17, 14/11/09 »
 My name is Ann Parker, I went to Claremont Road school in 1948/1957. I remember Miss Jones and Mrs Edwards, one did cookey and the other needle work,  I think do you remember the mural in the corridor. also the Wendy house in the playground. I use to go to the mission hall in Ridgeway Street, also took part  in the whit week walks, Does any one remember the flood the took the life of  Jeff Robinson who was a boy scout and  died in the flood on holiday. My maiden name is Robinson and I now live on the Isle of Wight. Regards Ann

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 22:05:24, 14/11/09 »
My mother's maiden name was Robinson, the family were from Derby Road, Fallowfield
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

sandravaughan

« Reply #7 on: 11:24:47, 04/07/11 »
Hi, my name was Sandra Wilson and I went to Claremont secondary school 1960.  I remember Freda Cook, the headmistress.  Mr Reynolds, the maths teacher.  Miss Jones and also Miss Waghorn who later got married.  I remember Lynn Pollard pupil, my friend Eunice DeValda, Christine Shannon whose parents had two or three shops on Dilworth Street.  I lived Brisbane Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock.  Other than the fact that I liked netball and rounders I can't think of anything else I really liked about going to that school.  I left before completing my final year because we moved home like others when our homes were taken for university expansion.  It was very sad, the way communities were torn apart and everybody scattered.  Some to Whythenshawe, we went to Gorton.  Slowly we all lost touch.  My best friends were catholics who went to Holy Name but lived on my street, Christine and Bernadette Dwyer.  My next door neighbour was the Flavins.  I have only fond memories of the streets and all the people I remember.

barbara mcdonald

« Reply #8 on: 10:39:57, 14/12/11 »
i have only just found this site - i wish i could have found it much sooner. 

message to Allan - your brother would have attended Heald Place - Claremont Secondary school was for girls only.  i attended from the nursery up to secondary from 1949 to 1961 - my sister pat also attended but my brother went to Whitworth Street after Junior School

but apart from that all the memories are wonderful -
my name was Barbara Ellis, sister Pat and brother Thomas, we lived in Palmes Street - if anybody remembers me please get in contact

Billy

« Reply #9 on: 03:07:27, 14/01/12 »
Hi Annie.  I went to Claremont Road in 1954 or 1955, my first school. I well remember Miss Wood :smitten: because I was the apple of her eye and could do no wrong. Probably the only time that's happened in my life. She said I was good at English. I just remember her in a flowery smock. I left after a couple of terms or so because we moved to Longsight. On my last day she'd sorted out a leaving card for me and a three inch diameter chocolate button thing. My last memory of her is my mum talking to her in the corridor before taking me home on my last day. I was pressing my back into the corridor wall and sliding down it, letting my feet slip over the lino. Talk about complete oblivion.
Anyway; we lived in Elmswood Avenue. If you were standing at Alexander Park gates looking across Princess Parkway, you'd need to walk down the alleyway nearly opposite, with the bus sheds on your left, and we were on the right down there. I used to be walked to school by the daughter of our next door neighbours called Whittaker, I think. Hilary used to take me and she had an elder sister called either Alexander or Barbara (how vague is that?). It was a bit back. I have vague memories of queing up for Saturday Matinee at the Claremont Cinema, and some of the unfortunate rough and tumble involved, not dissimlar to what we still see in checkout ques (how do you spell that?  Miss Wood, where are you). There was a slightly older (than me) girl called, Josie lived in our street ; I don't know her second name but I guess she would have gone to Claremont Road too. There was a boy called Stephen Ball near us and one called Leslie something. All very vague, I know. But I'm so chuffed to see Miss Wood's name out there I felt I had to respond.  After we moved to Longsight we moved to Fallowfield and then to St Helens in 1965. That's where we are now and it's been really good to remember those days.

Thanks for your post. I've got alot of pleasure looking back over those days and could easily get lost in a lot of stuff about the News Theatre, Broadfield Road Baths, Manchster Museum etc. I feel like some kind of ex pat or something now.

BarbaraJ

« Reply #10 on: 16:46:09, 10/03/12 »
I went to Claremont Road 1959-1964.  My name was Barbara Jacks.  I remember Miss Cooke, Headmistress, Miss Johnson Deputy Head.  Mr Reynolds, Maths, Mrs Adshead nee Waghorn, PE, another Mrs Adshead, Typing, Miss Sherlock, Shorthand and Miss Holmes, PE.  Miss Jones, needlework who called everyone, Pet.  Miss Whitehead, English, and Mrs Clayton, art, Miss McKnight, Mrs Phillips who helped us to produce the Claremont Review.  Some pupils I remember are Sandra Stevens, Marion Platt, Doreen Yaffe, Lynne Azmoodin, Gillian Beeston, Carmel Norris, Doris Green, the Fagharleys, Fedusa and Amina.  Lots more whose faces I can picture but whose names escape me.  Miss Johnson took us for the fifth form.  Our fifth form included the only member of the sixth form called Kanta Singh.  I often wonder what happened to her.  Does anyone remember the Six Cs of Claremont that Miss Cooke used to drum into us?  I can't remember them all.  I have happy memories of my time at Claremont Road.

Maggietuk

« Reply #11 on: 02:41:30, 15/12/12 »
Hi not sure if anyone I know is on here.. My name is Margaret Russell (now Maggie)
I attended Claremont Road School for Girls when City Ground was being built..I remember Barbara Jeski, Rhona Poulter and Shirley cant remember her last name.  I would love to get in touch with some of the girls i was in school with..The headmistress at the time was Ms Blackburn.. tall and skinny lady very strict.. I hated school back then and skipped a lot..If anyone knows me send  a  message

Maggie

Maggietuk

« Reply #12 on: 02:42:53, 15/12/12 »
I went to Claremont Road 1959-1964.  My name was Barbara Jacks.  I remember Miss Cooke, Headmistress, Miss Johnson Deputy Head.  Mr Reynolds, Maths, Mrs Adshead nee Waghorn, PE, another Mrs Adshead, Typing, Miss Sherlock, Shorthand and Miss Holmes, PE.  Miss Jones, needlework who called everyone, Pet.  Miss Whitehead, English, and Mrs Clayton, art, Miss McKnight, Mrs Phillips who helped us to produce the Claremont Review.  Some pupils I remember are Sandra Stevens, Marion Platt, Doreen Yaffe, Lynne Azmoodin, Gillian Beeston, Carmel Norris, Doris Green, the Fagharleys, Fedusa and Amina.  Lots more whose faces I can picture but whose names escape me.  Miss Johnson took us for the fifth form.  Our fifth form included the only member of the sixth form called Kanta Singh.  I often wonder what happened to her.  Does anyone remember the Six Cs of Claremont that Miss Cooke used to drum into us?  I can't remember them all.  I have happy memories of my time at Claremont Road.
The Fagarleys are on my FB Zach Fagarley..amazing how i forget so many names and remember others

Maggietuk

« Reply #13 on: 02:45:58, 15/12/12 »
I remember Mrs. Furness. She was my mother.. LOL!!
I also went to Claremont Road until 1960.
Carole.

Hi my name is Margaret Russell..I remember your mother one of my teachers..Ask her if she remembers me  I remember her really well

Maggie

Canadian_Brit

« Reply #14 on: 21:06:30, 02/01/13 »

Hi my name is Margaret Russell..I remember your mother one of my teachers..Ask her if she remembers me  I remember her really well

Maggie

Aw Maggie, sorry, she passed away in 2003, the last time I visited England. I miss her a lot. My younger sister Joy still lives there though if anyone remembers her.