Author Topic: regent rd, Salford  (Read 5262 times)

juliska

regent rd, Salford
« on: 15:52:28, 13/01/09 »
Any memories of  regent Rd, Salford in the 1970's. When I was small I remember walking there with my mum and gran to the shops, I can remember Asda, co-op, Waldmans that sold kids clothes, thats about it, it's the rd where there is now a Sainsburys, Dunns etc.

jimbeau

Re: regent rd, Salford
« Reply #1 on: 18:29:40, 05/02/09 »
Hi, my memories of Regent Rd. are, unfortunately, a generation earlier. I too went on shopping expeditions with either my mam or gran in the 1940s and remember shops called Landes (with overhead wires with payment cages), 50 Shilling Tailors, Leonards (furniture store). Pendleton Co-op (furnishings and where they paid out "the Divi"), and of course Woolworths and British Home Stores. You probably only knew the last two!
Was the clinic still there for your generation? This was the home of the nit nurse and "the needle queen". We used to go here for sunray treatment, mothers in just Bra's and knickers and kids starkers all sat around a sun lamp for 1/2 hour sessions of sun. we all wore rubber framed goggles to protect our eyes from the rays.... what a site!!! Even sun was on ration during the war!!!!
Jim 8)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 21:38:57, 06/02/09 »
What did the men wear?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

mancman

« Reply #3 on: 01:01:17, 07/02/09 »
What did the men wear?

A big grin   ;)

jimbeau

« Reply #4 on: 17:53:24, 07/02/09 »
Mostly navy blue, air force blue, and khaky :(
Sorry but it was mums and kids only ::)

dreamboy

« Reply #5 on: 17:50:26, 26/02/09 »
If you go to local archives at salford crescent they have lots of old photos of salford and local and local areas. It gives you a realo trip down memory lane

queally15

« Reply #6 on: 20:24:08, 21/08/19 »
Where about would that be?? I'm looking for old pics of Pendleton