Author Topic: Hello Manchester  (Read 9650 times)

fundumpling

Hello Manchester
« on: 22:11:36, 04/08/06 »
Hello  Manchester, have been  on a visit today, had a great day,  :D  but Im suprised that a city your size and bursting at the seams with top class places to eat, drink and be merry doesnt have a forum for its happy inhabitants that is a busy as the Sheffield Forum(over 29,000 members) a wonderful place to share thoughts, views ,reviews,ramblings etc.....If someone in Sheffield wants to know the name of  their next door neighbours cat in 1976,or when the fat woman in the chippy had her hysterectomy just  ask the forum and someone , somewhere will know, come on Manchester, spread the word, use your forum.Look on  sheffieldforum.co.uk, see what you could all  be part of,share your Manchesterness,inform and empower your community. ;D

peterw

Re: Hello Manchester
« Reply #1 on: 13:14:49, 14/08/06 »
Hello fundumpling!  Glad you had a good day in Manchester and found out — unlike most Sheffield Forum members — that it’s a good place to be. It’s talkative and everything else you say, and I tend to agree that Mancunians in General don’t appear to be as forum-oriented as Sheffielders.

This could be for many reasons. The majority of Mancunians tend to work hard during the day and play hard during the night. It’s an inherited trait. Mancunians throughout their long history have always been hard-working people. Many during the 19th century were entrepreneurs who helped to make the city what is is today, and since 1832, despite in recent years being controlled by Labour, have always had forward-thinking councillors.

With what’s going on in the city, I tend to think they have very little time to spend on Forums in general. A great pity! However, Sheffield Forum has, as you say, a lot of members. Trouble is, most of them know nothing about their city and ask stupid questions e.g. what bus or tram do they get from wherever they live to wherever they’s going. Mancunians on the other hand will know what bus to get without having to ask. I have more examples too numerous to mention.

I’m on SF regularly. My avatar is peterw and since September last year I’ve clocked up more then 1,000 postings, but of course I was born in Sheffield and take a great interest in what’s going on there.

Funny things happen to me on my way to the Forum

Le Phantom

« Reply #2 on: 09:34:10, 19/08/06 »
With what’s going on in the city, I tend to think they have very little time to spend on Forums in general. A great pity! However, Sheffield Forum has, as you say, a lot of members. Trouble is, most of them know nothing about their city and ask stupid questions e.g. what bus or tram do they get from wherever they live to wherever they’s going. Mancunians on the other hand will know what bus to get without having to ask. I have more examples too numerous to mention.

I’m on SF regularly. My avatar is peterw and since September last year I’ve clocked up more then 1,000 postings, but of course I was born in Sheffield and take a great interest in what’s going on there.

Tsk, tsk, the sheffield forum'ers 'll give thee a twack for that  ;D

We are of course the inverse, with me being a Manc who lives in dee daa land - though I like both places equally but in different ways.
"The world is disgracefully managed, one hardly knows to whom to complain"

(Mrs Shamefoot in Vainglory 1915)

peterw

« Reply #3 on: 00:52:26, 20/08/06 »
So do I! I love Sheffield because I was born there, and love Manchester because it turned out to be the city of my dreams. But it might never have been. I intended to live in Liverpool, but in 1951 I had only four shillings to my name. The single train fare to Manchester was 3.9d. and the fare to Liverpool 4s.6d., so it had to be Manchester. I spent my last 3d. on a large mug of tea at Woolworth’s restaurant in Piccadilly.

Fortunately the weather was exceptionally good so for the next six weeks I was able to sleep rough at nights and look for work an somewhere to live — once I had the cash — during the day.

Le Phantom

« Reply #4 on: 09:43:27, 20/08/06 »
Interesting a good story, mines a tad prosaic, did my professional qualifications in Sheffield and liked it so much I bought the city - no not really, just stayed. In fact back then you could have bought a good deal of the city for not a lot.

Being from the south suburbs of Manchester, Sheffield reminds me a good deal of home, it's the City life with the proximity to superb countryside that I think makes both places so great.

peterw

« Reply #5 on: 14:18:49, 21/08/06 »
Phantom — when I used to go out rambling many years ago, there were as many Mancunians as there were Sheffielders. Our numbers were about equal from my memories of Chinley railway station when we were waiting for the last train home!

Le Phantom

« Reply #6 on: 14:25:21, 21/08/06 »
Phantom — when I used to go out rambling many years ago, there were as many Mancunians as there were Sheffielders. Our numbers were about equal from my memories of Chinley railway station when we were waiting for the last train home!
The funny thing is that when I lived in Manchester I used to think of Manchester/Stockport as being the nearest place of any real size to Castleton, now I live in Sheffield I think of it as being near here!

Well it is about halfway.....

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 15:30:59, 12/10/06 »
hi, as you mentioned Castleton, someone on a spooky site (which i have just joined) is asking if there was a woman murdered there,, kn ow anything about it?  probably they are thinking of sending ghostbusters in!
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Le Phantom

« Reply #8 on: 15:38:54, 12/10/06 »
hi, as you mentioned Castleton, someone on a spooky site (which i have just joined) is asking if there was a woman murdered there,, kn ow anything about it?  probably they are thinking of sending ghostbusters in!

There have been loads of murders there esp on the Winnats Pass - it was favoured by rogues and highwaymen to rob travellers - this was before we had politicians to do the same thing.

There was a backpacker (female) murdered there much more recently about 10-15 years ago from memory.

There are plenty of stories of hauntings and things that go bump in the night there, between the howling wind and the sheep fanciers there are some very peculiar noises and sounds in the night!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 15:59:39, 12/10/06 »
are you one of the sheep fanciers?  perhaps you should have replied to my Hobbies topic.  Anyway, thanks for the info. it was probably the backpacker.

i was in Castleton early in the year on an evening coach trip, it was all it up with lovely gift shops, i wanted to stay longer and have a meal, but we only had an hour there, do you live there then?

peterw

« Reply #10 on: 16:07:37, 12/10/06 »
Those lovely gift shops are expensive! Did you have to pawn your Rolls to buy a nugget of Blue John Stone?

Le Phantom

« Reply #11 on: 16:16:26, 12/10/06 »
are you one of the sheep fanciers?  perhaps you should have replied to my Hobbies topic.  Anyway, thanks for the info. it was probably the backpacker.

i was in Castleton early in the year on an evening coach trip, it was all it up with lovely gift shops, i wanted to stay longer and have a meal, but we only had an hour there, do you live there then?

Nope and nope, I like lamb cutlets though and live in the 4th biggest city now aka Sheffield - however we are cheek on brow next to Derbyshire and that is a place where men are men and sheep are worried.  :o

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 16:35:36, 12/10/06 »
and i was born in Derbyshire, Buxton (i can truthfully tell people i was highborn),  and Peter, i have just bought/won a diamond necklace on ebay which cost me nearly a grand and i cant wait to wear it!!

Le Phantom

« Reply #13 on: 16:44:02, 12/10/06 »
By 'eck you're not stuck for a bob or two then! Not sure I'd like that much money hanging around my neck, besides diamonds are just so not me  ;D

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 17:05:56, 12/10/06 »
well i wont say anymore  but if i tell anyone it would be be you as we do have a french connection dont we