Author Topic: Chris- Wartime memories  (Read 678 times)

Dale80

Chris- Wartime memories
« on: 22:31:08, 09/07/09 »
Here is a snippet I have come across which I wrote some time ago.

I remember well the build up to the war, the issuing of respirators (Gas Masks), the call-up of the reservists and the general hostile attitude towards the Germans.
Then upon the declaration of war, the conscription of certain age groups the filling of sandbags to protect vulnerable places. The sticking adhesive strips on the windows to help reduce the shattering of glass due to bomb blast.
The fitting of blackout curtains to all our home windows, and the extinguishing of all the streetlights. Then there was the fitting of shades over the lights of all vehicular transport then showing only the faintest slit of light.

The issue of Anderson air raid shelters (corrugated steel) to erect in the home gardens, the building of brick and concrete shelters in streets and gardens. The construction of emergency water tanks in the streets.
Then there was the formation of the Auxiliary Fire Service, and other auxiliary services, Air Raid Wardens, whose ‘battle cry’ was "Put that light out", ‘Rescue’ services etc.
Yes we could go on for quite some time relating the changes which wartime conditions incurred, despite the belief that the war would not last for long, "we would soon see the Gerries off".

But it was four and a half years later that they were ‘seen off’. During that time this island had suffered a battering by the Luftwaffe, in some places the devastation seemed impossible to recover and in other places an air raid resulted in the town looking something like the Great Fire of London again.  I remember how all the warehouses on the south side of Piccadilly was an absolute inferno, now tge Plaza. On that occasion the bombers came for seven nights running

Another place that was an inferno was most of the wood merchants on Gt Ancoats Street.  Apart from the city the whole of the Manchester area suffered scattered damage, and amongst the Rescue Squads and individual people, so much heroism was just taken for granted many people lost their lives but, many were rescued from hazardous conditions, some of them to carry their injuries and scars for the rest of their lives.

Imagine! There are aircraft dropping bombs above you, there is just nowhere to run to.  Even a bomb exploding on an air raid shelter means all therein, die. Their protection was only against falling debris and the shrapnell of the antiaircraft shells.  They also served to help morale in that one felt more secure surrounded by so much bricks and mortar whilst holding their gas mask.  So often, people’s last words upon parting were “don’t forget your gas mask”.

Then after a night; bombing which could mean that you had lost most of your required sleep, you were  still expected to be early for work, that is if it still existed.

Many lives were lost, many people were injured and maimed, but above all many people showed bravery both during and after the raids, those heroes protected only by the steel helmet they were wearing and others without even that.

This was a war of the brave fighting services, but it was also a war of total involvement. I could go on but I won’t.

Then came the surrender of the Germans, “VE. Day” (Victory in Europe)

There was so much to celebrate, but much was anticipatory, there was much clearing up to be done, there were our national debts to be repaid, especially to America (The Marshal Aid), above all, we still had our ‘Forgotten Army’ still fighting the war in the Far East. This was an Army under Field Marshal William Slim who have never received the recognition which they so rightly deserved.

I was a soldier in that war but, much of the time I felt safer than the civilians on this island, I had the small consolation of a weapon to defend myself, they had had nothing to fight back with.

We can then, understand why the people ‘stuck together’, shared and celebrated.  There were amongst them so many unaccredited heroes. In my vocabulary, only people that have displayed bravery can be classed as HEROS.  Used otherwise is simply a disrespectful mockery.
Chip