Author Topic: William Hilton c1835 of Manchester  (Read 1590 times)

MrsZambesi

William Hilton c1835 of Manchester
« on: 21:20:43, 31/08/09 »
I'm looking for any information/inspiration on my Great Great Grandfather William Hilton. 

William was born in about 1835 in Manchester.  It is possible that William fought in the Crimean War and on his return stopped at Zante (which was then under British control) where he "married" my GGGrandmother Catharine Mefalluzzo (various spellings recorded as she was illiterate), a farmer's daughter, and had 3 children before they all returned to Manchester early in 1861.

William and Catharine and 4 more children appear on the 1861 and 1871 censuses and it seems that William died before the 1881 census where Catharine is shown as widowed.

Other than the census information, I have been unable to pin anything (William's parents, his marriage, his children's birth/christening dates, his death) down to specific dates, though I have searched all the usual sites (FreeBMD, IGI etc).  A trip to Central Library is in the offing.

Any information gratefully received, though I suspect I may have to accept that there just isn't any information to be had.

Many thanks

mrseddie

Re: William Hilton c1835 of Manchester
« Reply #1 on: 13:21:17, 25/09/09 »
Hi MrsZ
In 1871 Catherine's birthplace is transcibed in Anc.... as Tonian Islands instead of Ionian Islands, bn 1838.

Have you tried findmypa@@

mrseddie.

MrsZambesi

« Reply #2 on: 21:37:27, 29/09/09 »
Mrseddie
Thanks for the help.  Sorry for the delay in getting back - computer problems. 
I've tried the Ionian military bmd on fmp but no luck there either.  I have the census info back to 1861 which states that their first 3 children were born in Zante - though subsequent censuses state they were born in Manchester - again no record though.  William died before the 1881 census and Catherine remarried in 1884 so I've been able to find that her father was Anastasi - a farmer on Zante.  I feel another trip to Central Library coming on or maybe even a holiday to a certain Greek island. 
MrsZ

mrseddie

« Reply #3 on: 04:04:08, 30/09/09 »
Hi Mrs Z, I'm sorry I am of no help at all here.
I would go to the island though in stead of the library!!
There is one Wm in 1841 Salford 6yrs old father Wm mother Maria.
I wish I could read his father's occupation.
The only Wm's are not in central Manchester.
I'm sure you've looked at this one.
All the best with Wm.

Cheers
mrseddie