Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 6203 times)

belladonna

Dogs
« on: 21:30:11, 13/09/09 »
I'm talking about the canine ones! Why do people keep on breeding when there are so many poor dogs in rehoming centres? My main problem is with Staffis, there are so many of them discarded and abandoned yet still there are idiots breeding more.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 22:05:02, 13/09/09 »
Staffis are very popular, perhaps there are so many because people keep on breeding them for monetary reasons.

How could you stop this?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 08:23:44, 14/09/09 »
LordChaverly is very fond of Staffis and probably knows more about this than me, I'll ask him ;)

belladonna

« Reply #3 on: 15:29:10, 14/09/09 »
I think they are wonderful dogs [don't have one by the way] that's why I can't understand why there are so many discarded. I can understand collies being rehomed as they are big trouble if not walked a lot and kept busy.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 15:39:13, 14/09/09 »
Credit Crunch maybe :-\

I've sent LordC a pm on Sheffield, his pm box is full as he hasn't been on the forum for weeks so I'll have to wait and see

belladonna

« Reply #5 on: 17:26:38, 14/09/09 »
The credit crunch is respsonible for more dogs getting dumped, yes. I just want to know why so many of them are Staffies. Is it a certain 'type' of people who buy them as pups and then don't want to look after them,  ie picking up poo, not so cute as adults as they were when they are pups.? Are they a breed who are seen as 'hard' and good on the end of a lead?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 17:36:39, 14/09/09 »
Yes all those, and Christmas will come soon and kiddies will want pups and it will be the parents who end up taking them for walks, I just hope parents are wise to this and don't buy them - get them a cuddley animal  toy instead

belladonna

« Reply #7 on: 18:14:56, 14/09/09 »
Then don't buy your kid a Staffie! Or any other dog for that matter.I get so annoyed when a puppy is brought into a household when they haven't thought about all that looking after a dog entails.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 18:28:07, 14/09/09 »
Would cats be any less of a problem?  Lady next door to me has eight!

celeste

• Global Moderator

belladonna

« Reply #10 on: 18:38:46, 14/09/09 »
Your neighbour is maybe bordering on being a 'hoarder'! If all the cats are well cared for though then great! Better than being homeless in a rescue centre.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 18:44:14, 14/09/09 »
He's a lawyer and she is a professional photographer, they absolutely adore them ;D

belladonna

« Reply #12 on: 19:09:14, 14/09/09 »
Nice to hear Celeste. I get SO mad when people do not care for animals. The goverment should do more to stop the indiscriminate breeding of yet more dogs to be abandoned. I suspect that some will say that human charities should come first but if people were educated and stopped from bringing more unwanted animals into the world there would be more money for human charities.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 19:17:27, 14/09/09 »
What about all breeding of dogs to be given to one organisation (RSPCA?)  so they could check them, and when sold make sure they are neutered?

At least it would be a start - damage limitation?

belladonna

« Reply #14 on: 19:43:58, 14/09/09 »
I donate to the RSPCA but it hasn't got a good reputation, they put a lot of animals down apparently. I'll try and dig out some stuff about them..