Author Topic: Tesco are ‘doing things’ for my benefit  (Read 3270 times)

peterw

Tesco are ‘doing things’ for my benefit
« on: 01:24:09, 18/10/06 »
My local Tesco is currently undergoing a change. Bigger and better selections of this, that and the other combined with new items like ‘electrics” and more clothing etc. They’ve also provided more disabled bays and most shoppers seem quite happy about it, but …

Starting backwards, the disabled bays are still contained within the original space allotted to them. All Tesco have done is narrow the spaces to make two or three more bays, and remove three Parent and Child bays to make them available for the disabled.

Inside the store they’ve crammed more saleable items in by simply narrowing the aisles to make more room. I’ve also noticed that the branded items I used to buy have been replaced by Tesco’s ‘own label’ stuff.

What worries me most is that my local Tesco now appears to be an accident waiting to happen. Narrower aisle, to my mind, means that in the event of a fire there would be an unknown number of shoppers unable to escape. All shoppers are able to suit themselves which way around they go, so all aisles have two-way traffic, with elderly shoppers slowing down the faster shoppers, and people in wheelchairs — like me — slowing the traffic even more.

I’m currently debating whether my long-term fears are real or imaginary, and whether or not I should express them to Health and Safety. I have in mind the Woolworth, Piccadilly, disaster where shoppers lost their lives because some upper floor windows were barred on the inside and firefighters were unable to reach them.

I’ve almost made my mind up to write to Health and Safety, but what do you think? I have to admit that I’m not likely to be influenced, but I’d like to know all the same.
Funny things happen to me on my way to the Forum

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Tesco are ‘doing things’ for my benefit
« Reply #1 on: 08:10:49, 18/10/06 »
i suggest you seek an appointment with the manager at Tesco first, tell him your fears, decide if and what he is going to do about it,  and tell him the sooner the better or you will contact Health and Safety
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

peterw

« Reply #2 on: 15:14:54, 18/10/06 »
Actually, that’s exactly what I’ve done. Sent a letter off this morning. So Snap!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 15:18:07, 18/10/06 »
there was a saying, "great minds think alike"  there was also another saying "fools seldom differ" :D

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: 10:57:39, 26/10/06 »
You are quite right to raise the matter with Tesco and if necessary at a later stage the Health and Safety people, Peter. It'll be interesting to know the outcome. 

peterw

« Reply #5 on: 09:55:31, 27/10/06 »
I’m told Tesco have moved their shelves!

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: 10:36:40, 27/10/06 »
I’m told Tesco have moved their shelves!

Was that Tesco's reply peterw? Does that mean more or less room between the aisles? Is there room for shopping trolleys to pass going in opposite directions? What about people in wheel chairs doing their shopping?

peterw

« Reply #7 on: 01:51:11, 28/10/06 »
Been down to Tesco’s today and their shelves have been moved for the better.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 08:46:45, 28/10/06 »
i bet that made your  :D

TELENY

« Reply #9 on: 16:09:32, 28/10/06 »

On the theme of what your supermarket can do for you . . . how well do you think that the likes of Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys do when it comes to providing recycling facilities?

Do you use them?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 16:26:09, 28/10/06 »
have used Tesco

Tuesday

« Reply #11 on: 08:14:34, 29/10/06 »
Been down to Tesco’s today and their shelves have been moved for the better.
Well done you! It's so easy to just come home, grumble and do nothing. We all need to voice our concerns more!! :D
"I'll think about it tomorrow", Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind.)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 18:01:56, 30/10/06 »
peter before you stop posting, did you get a reply from Tesco, if so what was it?