Author Topic: Rock Street, St. Michael's Ward  (Read 6265 times)

jimbeau

Rock Street, St. Michael's Ward
« on: 20:32:40, 12/11/09 »
Hi, I'm trying to find Rock Street, which is where my g. grandfather and family lived according to the 1881 census. Maybe Migky can come up trumps once again and give me a location. Ta, jimbeau

migky

Re: Rock Street, St. Michael's Ward
« Reply #1 on: 16:03:02, 13/11/09 »
Sorry i am not going to be much help on this unless you can give me more clues as to where it was? The nearest main road would help?
I could only find two Rock streets and both were in Salford.
1) Broughton
2) Ordsall

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

jimbeau

« Reply #2 on: 16:58:37, 13/11/09 »
Hi Migky, all I know is that it is in the St Michael's Ward which I believe is around the "Angel Meadow" area of Manchester. On the census form the previous address looks like Windsor St, my family lived at No 1 Rock St., and the next family lived at No 4. Thanks for looking, good luck.
Regards Jim B

migky

« Reply #3 on: 18:29:28, 13/11/09 »
Well working on what you have said.
Windsor street is where i have marked in BLUE SPOTS on a later map.
So Rock street should be one of the two streets i have marked with RED DOTS
This map is 1900ish
Migky  ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

jimbeau

« Reply #4 on: 13:50:30, 14/11/09 »
Well done Migky, I have an old map dated 1893 of this area and the street next to Windsor St. is called Buckingham St. The other Street you have red spotted has no name so is the most likely to be Rock St. It is shown to be 9 houses long and faces a "Blacking" works (?), there is also an old quarry and a tarpaulin works nearby. Not posh then!!!!

migky

« Reply #5 on: 13:55:42, 15/11/09 »
Hi, it might not be posh but it is from people like them who helped build this city.
Is your map one of the "Godfrey" maps?
Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

jimbeau

« Reply #6 on: 16:06:57, 15/11/09 »
Hi Migky, your statement rings very true!!! I was born in Salford (Ordsall) so I know what posh is ;D
My map is a p'copy of an 1893 map from the Local History Library at Peel Park on the Crescent, but obviously not fine enough to show Rock St. Do you recommend a "Godfrey" map that might show Rock St.?
Regards Jim

migky

« Reply #7 on: 14:55:45, 23/11/09 »
Hi Migky, your statement rings very true!!! I was born in Salford (Ordsall) so I know what posh is ;D
My map is a p'copy of an 1893 map from the Local History Library at Peel Park on the Crescent, but obviously not fine enough to show Rock St. Do you recommend a "Godfrey" map that might show Rock St.?
Regards Jim

Hi Jim, if you can get the time and your in Manchester. I would call in at Greater Manchester county records office ( address and link below) They have maps there they can print out for you. any size from A3 to AQ size. I think they cost anything from 50P to about £4.50 but don't quote me on it. Every one always goes to Manchester library and never thinks to go to GMCR. It is a bit like Salford local history library, nice and friendly and spare the time for you there.

CLICK HERE FOR GMCR

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Genealhunter32

« Reply #8 on: 15:11:45, 03/01/10 »
St Michael's Ward
Oldham Rd to the boundary of the townships of Newton and Harpurhey - to the River Irk - to Scotland Bridge - Long Millgate - Miller St - Swan St to Oldham Rd.

Genealhunter32

« Reply #9 on: 15:15:02, 03/01/10 »
There is a rock street just of Ashton Old Road Manchester. in The St Michaels ward district

traces83

« Reply #10 on: 15:14:55, 07/10/19 »
Hello,

I'm trying to fine Quarry street in St Michael's ward: I think it is off Rochdale road near Queen park. (Harperhey

I have a census dating back to 187. That list 5 houses on Quarry street.

Does anyone have a clear map that they can send to me.

Regards,

Sean.