Author Topic: 14, TODD STREET, MANCHESTER  (Read 29791 times)

tony dixon

Re: 14, TODD STREET, MANCHESTER
« Reply #15 on: 18:53:15, 05/05/10 »

I know of Hanging Ditch - I used to work just round the corner in Balloon Street.

There was a hairdressers, a post office, the flower shop and the club.

Not sure if the restauraunt was open at that time - and,as far as I'm aware, hangings were only carried out at Strangeways.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 21:02:14, 05/05/10 »
By 1322 there is scant record of a fulling mill, showing the early beginnings of textile manufacture in Manchester. This mill was located somewhere alongside the Cathedral, and the alleyway known as "Hanging Ditch" still marks the course of the River Irk where it enters the Irwell, where textiles were hung to drain and drip dry after fulling. The Grelley manor, (now Chetham's School of Music), was fortified on three sides as it overlooked the River Irk on one side, a tributary ditch on another side and the River Irwell on another - it was therefore a superb defensive position, standing high on a sandstone bluff with effective natural defences.
Subsequently, the River Irk was culvetted below ground under what is now Walkers Croft and Hanging Ditch. Beside the cathedral one can still see the remains of "Hanging Bridge" where the medieval bridge crossed Hanging Ditch. A wooden bridge crossed the Irwell in front of the Manor, and was replaced by a stone three-arch bridge in the 14th century, on the site of where Victoria Bridge (built in 1839) now stands.
Manchester became a Baronial Borough (thereby an independent self-governing entity) in 1301, still ruled by the Lord of the Manor, but with an appointed "boroughreeve" (or Mayor) who handled day-to-day administration of the borough. Manchester was to change very little thereafter until the 16th century.

I think you're right Tony, it's not to do with hangings - just a bridge that overhang the river which is underground (dried up?)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

tony dixon

« Reply #17 on: 15:31:36, 30/06/10 »
Hi Celeste - just been doing a little surfing on the subject of hangings in Manchester and have discovered that not all the hangings were carried out at Strangeways.

If you google " new bailey street prison " and visit the first, second and fourth links on the web-page you'll find some pretty interesting stuff including a 17 year old youth sentenced to 7 days hard labour or pay 2/6 plus 16 shillings costs for flying pigeons at Oldham and another man sentenced to 6 cal. months hard labour for stealing a fuschia plant in Salford.

Grippng stuff.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 15:35:59, 30/06/10 »
Thanks for that Tony, it's so interesting :)

tony dixon

« Reply #19 on: 17:33:22, 30/06/10 »
Me again - just to say that you probably already know of this but I've just come across it.

If you google " manchester city council " then visit " Local Image Collection " and enter long millgate into the search engine, the image of Victoria Station on the first page (image m 63313) clearly shows the wall-board advertising your father's cafe - the City Cafeteria.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 18:03:32, 30/06/10 »
Really, ooh cheers for that Tony :) :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 18:52:52, 30/06/10 »
Can you put the photo on here Tony?

tony dixon

« Reply #22 on: 19:09:36, 30/06/10 »
Sorry - my technical expertise doesn't stretch to those boundaries -apologies.

Got to go now but if you can talk me through the stages tommorrow I'll have a bash.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 19:26:00, 30/06/10 »
It's ok I'm sure I had a picture somewhere

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 09:37:34, 01/07/10 »

14 Todd Street   - in the foreground where the cars on the left are parked is Long Millgate, Lancaster Avenue is to the right of the large van pictured.

My father owned all of the (white) building shown
« Last Edit: 09:43:07, 01/07/10 by celeste »

tony dixon

« Reply #25 on: 18:17:27, 01/07/10 »
Thats not the one Celeste - the pic in question is taken from a different angle and clearly shows the City Cafeteria sign and it's so simple ( even for me!!!! ) to navigate to - honest.

Give it a go - I think you'll find it's worth-while.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 19:25:30, 01/07/10 »
I've done that and get to gritted pedestrian areas - Long Millgate from Todd Street but it won't click on anything, I'll leave it thanks

unless you're missing another step out but I can't click on any images

I need it step by step as I think you've missed something out :)
« Last Edit: 19:41:59, 01/07/10 by celeste »

tony dixon

« Reply #27 on: 11:54:49, 02/07/10 »
OK Celeste -try this.

1. Enter " manchester local image collection " into google.

2. Click on the first link on the home page.

3. Enter " long millgate images " into the advanced search box in the top right hand corner and left click.

4. Scroll down page and click on " Manchester Local Image Collection " in the large blue box.

5. Scroll down to " search the images " and enter " long millgate " into the small box.

6. Scoll down to the eighth image - Railway Stations image m63313 - and click on picture to zoom.

Fingers crossed  :-* :-*

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 08:16:16, 03/07/10 »
I've found lots of Manchester local image collection mentioned everywhere can't find any mention of Railway Stations Images - so I'm leaving it as it's not that important as long as I have one picture

Thanks though Tony

tony dixon

« Reply #29 on: 10:55:43, 03/07/10 »
no problem